Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 54023 times)

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
Introductions
« on: Tue, Jun 2, 2009 »
Hey, this is just the usual "introduce yourself" thread!  A good place to make your first post.

My name is Adam and I created flixel over the last year or so.  I've also worked on lots of other things, like Cave Story Wii and Paper Moon.  In a previous life I was a C++ coder and GUI designer for a software company.  I have two pug dogs who are pretty good but sometimes they kick in laptop screens.  Right now I make iPhone games for a living, and I'm helping to organize the Independent Games Summit at GDC Austin this year.
« Last Edit: Tue, Jun 2, 2009 by Adam Atomic »

oneup

Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Jun 4, 2009 »
hi, i'm oneup. i create games ever since i can think. namely super mario war, landscapr, a jump'n'run tutorial series, lots of unreleased demos & a gp32 port of "spout". (& two web startups inbetween)

tried to build a game with flash half a year ago, but was overwhelmed by flash's sucky api.

i am so lookin forward to your library !!!

my current project is poit (http://puit.soup.io/).

« Last Edit: Thu, Jun 4, 2009 by oneup »

CosMind

• stuff 'n stuff
    • View Profile
    • Glum Buster
« Reply #2 on: Fri, Jun 5, 2009 »
some call me CosMind, some call me Justin.  i call me crazy.  i work a day job as creative director of an independent commercial video games studio in austin, tejas; but, moonlight as a lonesome game (both video and non-video) designer and developer.  i recently released my very first independent game, Glum Buster.  now i'm diving back into prototyping and tinkering with various projects that have bubbled into my brain over the past handful of years.  flixel has me jazzed, and i'm going to do my best to learn myself the ropes - i really feel that creating software with the framework is going to have a wealth of benefits.

(the hair's old)
« Last Edit: Fri, Jun 5, 2009 by CosMind »

ben

« Reply #3 on: Fri, Jun 5, 2009 »
Hi! I'm Ben.

Here I'm cosplaying as L from Death Note. I don't have a better picture handy at the moment.

I'm 17 years old and I got my start with game programming writing text adventures in QBASIC in middle school on my dad's old laptop.  At the beginning of high school I kind of deviated from this to do freelance web development, but in my junior year I took a Java class and I (somewhat sloppily) recreated Asteroids.  Since then I've been tinkering with different languages and game libraries, such as Pygame and Gosu (for Ruby), in which I've written basic stuff like Pong and Arkanoid just for practice.  My dad recently got me Flash CS3 and so I've been learning AS3.  I stumbled upon flixel via TIGSource, and I'm excited to try to pick it up.

I'm going to Carnegie Mellon in the fall for Computer Science and I think it would be great to end up like any of the previous posters in this thread, doing games for a living and/or as a major hobby.

SMRobot

« Reply #4 on: Fri, Jun 5, 2009 »
Hi I'm SMRobot. I'm 15 years old and just starting to get into game development. I have little programming experience as I've only really gotten serious about learning to program around the start of the year. I currently use XNA and C# for development but I'm looking for a more basic, cross-platform framework to develop with.

Whilst I have some experience with ActionScript, I haven't ever used it outside the Flash IDE so learning flixel is going to be interesting to say the least. As well as C#, I know C++ and some JavaScript. I really got inspired to create games after seeing all the great stuff people in the indie community were doing (Spelunky, Knytt Stories and Cortex Command are all big inspirations to me).

I'm generally more interested in the programming side of making games although I still find game design interesting. The only games I've ever released is a side scrolling shooter made in Flash 8 and a text adventure I made in Python over the course of several weeks in my school's programming class. I hope to make a career out of programming and study Computer Science at University (possibly along with Mathematics).

I'm a pretty huge nerd, I play D&D (4th Ed, please don't hurt me :S), program, rave about obscure indie games none of my friends have ever heard of and read about programming and maths in my free time.

Other than this forum I post regularly on TIGSource and I also run a blog that gets updated every now and then.

I hope to keep following my goals in game development and hopefully stay active on these boards.

failrate

« Reply #5 on: Fri, Jun 5, 2009 »
Hello, I'm Andrew.  I work as a software engineer for a video game company, and I've been writing little games since I was a kid.  I post hardware and software projects at failrate.com.  I'm interested to see if using flixel will be nicer than using my own homebrew shmup game engine.  I certainly hope so.

shaktool

« Reply #6 on: Fri, Jun 5, 2009 »
I work full-time for playcrafter.com. I have published a few indie games at johnnesky.com. I also help Chris DeLeon make iPhone games. I am a contributor to the Box2D physics engine, including the Flash port. I am secretly working on my own Flash game engine in my vanishing free time, but relatively little progress has been made, and/or I'm more ambitious.  ;)

Ipsquiggle

« Reply #7 on: Sat, Jun 6, 2009 »
I'm no one of any importance. Mostly, I'm over ambitious and under motivated. Flixel (and the games Adam has made with it) have inspired me to do something smaller... So here I am.

Also I don't do photos.

I'm bad at this introduction thing, huh.

Andreas

« Reply #8 on: Sat, Jun 6, 2009 »
Hello. My name is Andreas and I did a couple of Flash games like Understanding Games and Mr. Bounce. I have a part-time job at the Zurich based web company Spoiled Milk as a Rails and ActionScript developer.

After playing around with Flixel for a couple of hours I decided to dispose of my own half-finished 2d game engine and never look at it again. I am seriously in love with Flixel.

triptych

« Reply #9 on: Sat, Jun 6, 2009 »
My name is Andrew Wooldridge (triptych) and I work at a social games company called Raptr. I've always aspired to be a real indie game developer, and have come to the conclusion that actionscript development offers the best of all possible worlds -- sourcecode, similar to js which I use daily, and exports to flash which seems to be the #1 platform for indie games right now.

I'm really eager to fire up Eclipse and get some kind of game working.

I have high hopes for flixel!

kaptin

« Reply #10 on: Sat, Jun 6, 2009 »
My name is Michael, I also live in Austin ( that makes three of us? ). Currently working on a server framework to make developing multiplayer games easy. I have a few games in the pipeline in various stages of completion and hope to gain some motivation to actually finish one.

radmoseph

« Reply #11 on: Sat, Jun 6, 2009 »
I'm a 22 year old programmer (Java, C, C#, and a number of scripting languages) from Canada. Most of my experience is database related, so I figured I'd get a hobby to improve my skills.

My older brother is an artist and really into old school and indie games. My little brother is a musician and makes some pretty sweet chip tune music. Our plan is to make a game over the next year or so. Since I'm the only coder, I'm in charge of what we'll be building it in. Soooo...I'm looking at Flixel.

Nice to meet you all.

Any chance of a Flixel IRC channel?

Jazmeister

« Reply #12 on: Sat, Jun 6, 2009 »
I'm Jaz, 23, and I'm a filthy journalist. I have no ambitions of game development (that's what try to I tell myself, anyway), and I've done maybe eight months of a C course that I abandoned so I could move. I live in the UK. I'm following the efforts of the flixel community with great filthy journalistic interest!

PhantomTollbooth

« Reply #13 on: Sun, Jun 7, 2009 »
Andrew, 22, Actuary. Worked with all sorts of high/low level programming languages, from C++, to SQL to (*shudder*) FORTRAN... very little graphics, animation, gui experience, and looking for a way to pass some time in a new city...

scnclr

« Reply #14 on: Sun, Jun 7, 2009 »
Hi, I am scnclr and started making games about one year ago. I have years and years experiemnce of artful audiovisual programming in Processing, (old) flash making sounds and music. Tinkered around with gamemaker as well and as lots of other things, for example homebrew on portable gaming consoles. I am about to release a first small game in flash under the moniker scnclr.de.

Besides making games, I am busy with lots of other things. You may eventually know my blog Digital Tools. I am also organising a festival in Cologne, Germany, focusing of Creative Commons, Free Culture, Art and Music, called Cologne-Commons.

I was really thinking about doing something very similar to flixel within the last 10 months, but as always time was missing to do major progress. At least I think flixel looks like a very interesting thing, so I will keep on stepping into the community and see what will happen.

I am understanding games more as an artful audiovisual-interactive system and are happy to step into casualgames as a wonderful medium of its own.
« Last Edit: Sun, Jun 7, 2009 by scnclr »

Tyler Egeto

« Reply #15 on: Sun, Jun 7, 2009 »
Hey all,

My Name is Tyler, I'm the lead dev for Mod7 Communications, where I do mostly ActionScript based stuff. We're working on a game/engine/editor as well. We've just recently setup a dev blog here: http://developer.titaniumchef.ca please feel free to stop by, we'll be launching this first game before too much longer.

This engine looks fantastic. The games I've had a chance to check out look awesome, (love the style!) I just sort of fell into game development from more general AS work. But am loving it, and will be continuing down the path.

Nice to meet you all!

Melly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sun, Jun 7, 2009 »
Well, hello there.

Name's Melly, I'm a mod at TIGSource, where Adam also posts a good bit, and flixel tickles my fancy. And that's why I'm here. :P

avinashv

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sun, Jun 7, 2009 »
Hey,

I'm Avinash, a long-time hobbyist programmer.  I started off in QBasic, but now spend most of my time in Python, PHP, Javascript and C.  I have zero experience with AS3, but I've been looking for an excuse to get into Flash game development for years, and Flixel looks like the perfect opportunity.

I run a website at http://avinashv.net and am @avinashv on Twitter.

tonyoakden

« Reply #18 on: Sun, Jun 7, 2009 »
Hi I'm Tony,

I've been making games for 20 years.  I've worked independently and in big companies.  I run a website called http://www.charliedoggames.com from which I distribute my indie/casual games.  I've been making download games but I see browser games as the best way to get my games out to a bigger audience and Flixel looks like the ideal way to get started.  I'm hoping to make a big platform game, with puzzle solving elements, similar to the ones I made back in the 80s.  I hanker after the old, simpler days of eight bit gaming...

mike_fowler

« Reply #19 on: Sun, Jun 7, 2009 »
Hey all.

My name is Mike. Currently I'm a fourth year student at Champlain College in Burlington, VT, majoring in the Electronic Game and Interactive Design major here, specializing as an artist.

I'm that guy, the one who codes and does art, and that's why I'm here.

Feel free to check out my work at http://www.mikefowlerartist.com.