Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 54039 times)

Karies

• View Profile
Re: Introductions
« Reply #20 on: Mon, Jun 8, 2009 »
Hi community!
I'm Juan Sierra an ASP.NET programmer who want to develop games as Hobbyist (probably someday as a professional).
I have followed the allegro game developing community for many years.
I have developed some crappy games in flash and now I want to finish a lot of projects I have in my head.

ETG

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mon, Jun 8, 2009 »
My name is Eric. I'm a game programmer, 27 years old, and live in Texas.

I've been playing around with the framework this weekend and I like it. So, I'm gonna use it.

radmoseph

« Reply #22 on: Mon, Jun 8, 2009 »
I've been playing around with the framework this weekend and I like it. So, I'm gonna use it.

brokenPlatypus

« Reply #23 on: Mon, Jun 8, 2009 »
My name's Matt Guest. I've been programming professionally for some time now in everything from c to coldfusion to .net, java, flash and flex. My career has been focused on web development and professional software, but I've always had a soft spot for games.

I originally got into programming by teaching myself Pascal from a book I got from my future high school while I was still in the 7th grade, with the express purpose of learning how to build games. I ended up making some add-ins for the old L.O.R.D. BBS game and was hooked on programming. Back when I was still in high school I built a couple of (fairly lame) legend of zelda clones and final fantasy style rpgs, attempting to replicate the amazing stuff that was captivating me on my NES.

Over the years I've always had some sort of game development project going on in the background of my professional work but have never really finished anything major. It seems like every time I get a game idea I'd like to follow through on I end up spending so much time working on an engine or tools for that particular style of game that I never actually get around to building it. I enjoy working on those parts, and it's usually enough to satisfy me, but I'd like to start getting some real ideas out there in front of other people.

Coming across Flixel today and the games that Adam has built with them resparked some of that original excitement that got me into programming to begin with. I had just started working on an iPhone game, but it's slow going and I don't think I'm that into it right now.
Looking at Flixel and the code for Mode I think I'm going to have a lot more fun just throwing stuff together and playing around with this than trying to build and polish a full game for the iPhone app store.

For me, having fun and scratching that game dev itch is all that really matters here. I doubt I'll be building anything too impressive with Flixel, but if I do I'll be sure to post about it.

beam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wed, Jun 10, 2009 »
hi

i'm justin, and i'm a member of the poppenkast. flixel has finally given me a reason to stop putting off learning actionscript, now the barrier to entry for making flash games is nice and low.

MickMad

hi everybody
« Reply #25 on: Wed, Jun 10, 2009 »
Hi everybody, this is MickMad, aka Mick, posting for the first time here yay. Ok, seriously talking, I'm 19, I study informatic engineering at the university La Sapienza in Rome (yes, I'm Italian :D), and I come from Java...I've always been into Flash and other stuff, I go almost everyday on Newgrounds (I'm an audio "artist" formerly under the name of The-MickMad), and I read there about this framework, Flixel, and I find that this is quite interesting... I never used ActionScript 3 but being similair to Java in some way, I kinda find it very easy to use (the first time I compiled something using AS3/Flixel, was 2 days ago xD)...now I'm taking it easy, I have my Informatics exam in 4 days, but I just started working on a little project - maybe useful for beginners to learn something... I'm doing a TicTacToe game from scratch, it's simple, but is the starting point of learning, taking little steps ;) for now I got the # thingy well, and a tileMap function that in this case is used to place on screen the X and O signs, and to place the 9 clickboxes, but it is useful for drawing lines of the same sprite passed in the method... well, anyway I'll post every progress in this little starting project in the "games" section :)  g'dnight and peace,

Mick.

astrofra

« Reply #26 on: Wed, Jun 10, 2009 »
Hi,

I'm François. French dude, part artist, part coder, 100% french.

What can I say, usually I'm more into 3D stuff, but I really wanted to try some old 16/32bits 2D gamedesign, and Flixel made the perfect occasion to do that, especially with the next contest on TIGSource coming :)

Hi to everyone from TIG arround here :)

xoxco

« Reply #27 on: Thu, Jun 11, 2009 »
My name is Ben Brown, I also live in Austin!  Maybe we should have a Flixel meetup here.

My wife and I run a company called XOXCO where we build fun stuff to click on.  We've made a few silly little games like this one, featuring a drowning polar bear:

http://xoxco.com/x/swim/

I used to code little pixel games in pascal in hacked VGA mode back in the early 90s, and have basically been wanting to do it again EVER SINCE.

I am also working on my own software framework - but mine is for creating social web apps.   It's called PeoplePods - you can find it on xoxco.com.

Zack

« Reply #28 on: Thu, Jun 11, 2009 »
Hi there, I'm Zack Fulpington. I program in PHP, ASP, JS, VBS, AS1 & 2, and most web markup languages if you want to count those as programming. I'm trying to learn AS3, but so far it seems pointless. I have a blog at http://podtube.us and I use Adobe Flash CS4 Pro for most of my flash work.

lechuckgl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Fri, Jun 12, 2009 »
Well, hello everyone. My name is Nicolas and I am a .net developer. I am from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
For the moment I just develop games as a Hobby....but someday I will be able to live from it..who knows ? In the meantime I work for as a slave for a big corporation...*damm, stop hitting me, I'll get back to work in a couple of minutes*  ::)

This is not Flixel related, and I am not trying to spam the forum, but check the mini-contest we are having at ADVA's Forum ( Argentine Assosiation of Videgame Developers ) : http://www.adva.com.ar/foro/index.php?board=34.0

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #30 on: Wed, Jun 24, 2009 »

Hello,

My name is Robert Lupinek.  I've put out a bunch of little games under the name darthlupi.  Most of the games I've made have been made using the game development tool Game Maker.  

I've branched out a bit using PyGame, so I am not AS intimidated by pure coding as I used to be, but even using action script will be a change.  If what I end up turning out at first is a turd, please be patient!

Oh, yes.  Cosmind is the pirate that is forcing me to walk the plank to cross platform web based development.  That mean mean man!  ;)
To take care of that not so fresh feeling: #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/

capsuley

« Reply #31 on: Fri, Jun 26, 2009 »
Hello all,

My name is Justin Prine and I've been a programmer on audience polling software and multi touch boards over the last couple of years primarily on the Mac. In the last year I started working on my own little games and prototypes in Pygame and Processsing. I also code in: Objective-C, C++, C#, Java, and a bunch of scripting languages. In the evenings I work on iPhone software with my brother for our little company, Capsuley.

I'm moving to Austin, TX next week, so add another Austinite to the crew here. We should definitely plan a meetup at some point!

george

« Reply #32 on: Sat, Jun 27, 2009 »
hi everyone, I'm George from Seattle.

Usually I do everything in Python (as that's all I know  ;D) but I've wanted to make something with Flash and I really like flixel's approach, as I prefer to use mxmlc to keep things simple for my thick skull. Plus I really enjoy when something is put together with some love and style like flixel is.

With TIGSource's adult/educational compo this is the perfect opportunity to jump in and learn, and I'm hoping to team up with friends with great art and music, for whom Flash is a nice and accessible way to get into making games.
« Last Edit: Sat, Jun 27, 2009 by george »

ChevyRay

• View Profile
    • The Proper Undead
« Reply #33 on: Sun, Jun 28, 2009 »
Chevy Johnston, reporting for duty.

w w w . p r o p e r u n d e a d . c o m

I've been developing games as a hobby for about 5 years now, and was an artist first and foremost. But now I have discovered the joys of object-oriented programming, and bathe shamelessly in the delights of both worlds.

I've finished a couple of games most of you probably haven't heard of.

I'm friends with both CosMind and Darthlupi, who've also joined the forums :), the prior who was generous enough to get me my first commercial job working on a DS game that comes out in a couple days now. I am currently brainstorming ideas for a Flixel collaboration with the latter, which should be fun.

Currently I am working on my first Flash project, which is going very well. Browsing through the Flixel framework, as well as programming lessons from my good friend Matt, has really helped me pick up on the language. Things are taking off, and I expect to be done my first game within a couple weeks maximum.

I'm the one with the hat on. I'm a very friendly guy, if you know what I mean.

If anybody's ever in British Columbia and wants to get in on some of that action, send a message my way and we'll hook up! Do some Flash dev jammin' and guzzle some brews. Peace out,

Chev

« Last Edit: Sun, Jun 28, 2009 by ChevyRay »

SeiferTim

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Tim's World
« Reply #34 on: Tue, Jun 30, 2009 »
Hello, I'm Tim.

Currently, I work for a company that does Medical Billing - I'm building their Practice Management System (in VB6!  ::)).
I've been trying to get into making games for years - ever since learning how to code in ZZT-oop... but other than a few failed projects here and there, nothing's really taken off...
Anyway, I hope I can make something neat with Flixel, or team up to help make something awesome with others...

I have an infrequently updated site: http://timsworld.nfshost.com where you can learn more about me, and see the WoW Plugin I made for Wordpress.

darkshado

« Reply #35 on: Sun, Jul 26, 2009 »
Hi, I'm Dan.

I'm 16 and I've been using Game Maker for a couple of years until last week decided to learn how to use flash, which was when I stumbled across Flixel (via Darthlupi's Wonder Bounce) and I decided that was the way to go.

AS3 seems simple enough and I think I'm picking it up rather quickly, so I'll hopefully have some to show for it in the coming weeks.

PandaCookies

« Reply #36 on: Fri, Jul 31, 2009 »
I usually go by Powergloved Andy on other forums. I've worked on a couple of projects here and there, but nothing that great. I'd been looking to get into AS for awhile now, but just haven't, so I'm a bit of an AS noob... I know the basics though!  :P

Anyway, I was talking to some friends and Adam and realized that I hadn't even checked out Flixel yet. So I did. And now I'm here!

Treat me well! <3

YMM

« Reply #37 on: Fri, Jul 31, 2009 »
My name's Matt Thorson.  I've made one Flash game (without Flixel) and a bunch of Game Maker games.  I'm now trying out Flixel for my next Flash project and liking it quite a bit.  

I'm from Alberta, Canada and I'm 21.  My website is www.mattmakesgames.com.  Unfortunately, I don't have any fancy pics of myself, so you'll just have to take my word for it that I'm quite handsome :P Looking forward to watching Flixel develop further and seeing where it takes us!
« Last Edit: Fri, Jul 31, 2009 by YMM »

nitram_cero (2bam)

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • 2BAM
« Reply #38 on: Tue, Aug 4, 2009 »
I'm Martín, 23, Argentina.

Ahoy!

hima

• View Profile
    • My Dev Blog
« Reply #39 on: Sat, Aug 8, 2009 »
I'm Gus from Thailand, 22 :)  I believe I started getting into game programming a bit too late, but I'll try my best.

I started from RpgMaker (heh) and then move on to RpgMaker XP with Ruby scripting , and that's when I start learning a programming language for game programming seriously. I've moved to Game Maker and finish many games and prototypes with that engine. Now I'm learning C++ and D programming language and am trying to make my own engine for a final project.

I've been interested in Flash game dev for a long time too, but for some reasons I couldn't get myself to actually do something about it. Thanks for Flixel, it make this easier than I thought and make me think what I was so scared in the past lol.

For some of my work please visit :
 - http://www.youtube.com/himatako - My youtube channel
 - http://hima.gptouch.com - My Blog
 - http://www.gptouch.com - My Team