Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 53597 times)

sloopygoop

Re: Introductions
« Reply #40 on: Tue, Aug 11, 2009 »
I'm yet another Andrew on the forum.  I'm 22 and live in the U.S.  I've always loved the older video games, so I like what I've been seeing of Flixel games.  I'm not a programmer, though.  Mostly I'm on this forum to offer my chiptune talents, because what's a retro-looking game without retro music?  :)  
I don't have a proper website yet, but some of my music can be heard here on 8bitcollective.  

Dysposin

« Reply #41 on: Thu, Aug 27, 2009 »
Hi, I'm Ville from Finland. I'm a graphic artist, but I've been trying to make games for about seven years now, mostly playing around with Clickteam's apps. Now that I found Flixel, I have a good enough reason to learn the actionscript and get serious with this.

Jarod

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sun, Sep 6, 2009 »
Hey guys,

My name is Jarod Luebbert. I'm a Computer Science major at SIU. I'm experienced with C++, Ruby, a little Python, and a lot of web development. I've been wanting to make my own game for a long time now. I've done some small things in Ruby (with the Gosu game dev library) but I really want to make something full blown to put on Kongregate or something similar.

I also have a strong interest in Art so I think making a game will be a great way to express both my passion for programming and art.

luc

• no ablo anything except french
    • View Profile
    • scribbles
« Reply #43 on: Sun, Sep 6, 2009 »
Hi, I'm Luc, living in Paris (France)
I'm mainly doing concept art for video games and video FX/compositing. I've been thinking about making a game since a long time (Amiga days). I tried to learn Flash and AS from quite some time, read some books on OO language, overwhelmed coders with questions but never finished a project in ten years and thus focused on drawing. Working in the game industry I thought I could harass some coders easily.
Flixel with the nice community already behind it seems like a dream come true :)

Rolpege

« Reply #44 on: Mon, Sep 7, 2009 »
Hi, I'm Rolpege, from Catalonia.

I'm studying at high school, and I have been interested at making games since 8. I had make a few games with RPG Maker and Game Maker, and since 13 I know AS3.

I'm studying more AS3, and I know PHP, HTML, CSS, a bit of AS3, a bit of Javascript, a bit of Ruby and a bit of Python.

I use a Mac and I think Flixel is great, 'cause I can make flash games more easily!

I hope I will have a great stance here.

Sorry for my English.
Rolpege

pixels

« Reply #45 on: Mon, Sep 7, 2009 »
Hello, hello!

I'm Cristian and I currently study computer game development in Sweden at Stockholm University. Most people seem to either focus on design or programming but I have a background of studying writing/journalism and I'm aspiring to become a writer for all types of video games and write all sorts of things be it simple quests in a MMO or a full blown story for a Xbox 360 RPG. I am fascinated by design and I'm working on becoming a better webdesigner on the side and I also love game design (especially 2D) so that's why I'm here.

So far Flixel has generated some great games with Canabalt appealing to me the most.

lszanto

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Mon, Sep 7, 2009 »
Heya,

I've been looking into Game Development for a while, although just starting to gather a real interest. I've created a few simple games in flash and hope to create a few games with the help of Flixel, thanks for some great classes!

Luke.

Titch

• Contributor
  • Thing with the guy in the place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sat, Sep 12, 2009 »
Hey, I'm Duncan

I've been here all along but only just realised I didn't introduce myself. I'm 23, British and I like to wear hats and laugh and drink beer whilst the world goes mad around me. I also make games. I used to use TGF back when I was young and foolish. Then switched to making webcomics when I was a teenager and even MORE foolish. Then went to Canada for two years, one of which I spent on a game design degree (don't even get me started on the foolishness of that) where I made my first Flash Game and a Unreal 2.x total conversion mod with a team of students.

Since then I've become a lot LESS foolish, gone back to england and have made a bunch more flash games including DeWord, Gun-Fu and the made in three hours masterpiece Neo Jazz Summoner.

Eventually I want to waste all my mad creativity in a mainstream industry job and move back to Vancouver again.
Free cake whippings every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

Richard Kain

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tue, Sep 15, 2009 »
Hello all, I'm Will.
(though on message boards, I do answer to Richard Kain)

I only just discovered Flixel in the last month. I've been having so much fun playing around with it that I figured signing up for these boards would be a good idea. I'm 29, and located in the U.S. Southwest. I'm currently employed as a web developer/coder. In my free time I enjoy reading, watching movies and cartoons, and working on 3D modeling, animation, and coding in various languages.

Thanks to a job I used to have about a year and a half ago, I was able to learn a pretty extensive amount of AS3. When I recently stumbled across Flixel, I realised it would be a great fit for the skills I had already acquired. Developing games in my free time is much more creatively rewarding than my current day job.

My current projects are developing my own iPhone application, and constructing an entry for the Zero Punctuation game design contest using Flixel. If all goes well with my freelance iPhone work, I'm hoping I will be able to turn it into a full-time gig. (here's hoping)

Kayn

• View Profile
    • Heatknives
« Reply #49 on: Fri, Sep 18, 2009 »
Hi. I'm Keith, I used to be a forum mod on a fairly popular web games forum, and I'm a very, very lazy Flash Developer.

Well, thats a bit of a lie. I was hired to do it full time as a job, and so I've not finished a personal project in years. I'm here mainly because of Titch (who I know well from real life, and I'm doing parts of the dialogue for his current game) and because I like playing about with new engines.

If Flixel can do (or I can extend it...) what I want it to do, I'm sure I'll have a very, very good time using it. With luck I might actually finish something.
Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress. -Edison

knugen

« Reply #50 on: Fri, Sep 18, 2009 »
Hi. I'm Keith, I used to be a forum mod on a fairly popular web games forum, and I'm a very, very lazy Flash Developer.

Why hello there Mr. SlamDyke   :)

Kanelives

« Reply #51 on: Wed, Sep 23, 2009 »
Hi all, im Cal im from the uk and im 23. Ive done a bit of elecrical electronic engineering but im thinking electrical installation is better suited to me, along the way ive got a basic grip of C++ (only hello world and making a calculator kind of stuff). Ive always had an intrest in making games and maps for games, but everytime ive found somthing i like ive come into a complete block where learning has turned into copy and pasting of code. And never actually understanding half of it because the forums ive found seemed heavily advanced for where i was at on the learning curve so to speak. Please excuse my overly long sentances :D
I discovered canabalt and enjoyed the simplicity of it, then last night i played Fathom twice and realised id like to have ago at making a game in this format.

Seems like ive stumbled on a nice community, so bare with me as im sure ill have lots to learn :D

mklee

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wed, Sep 23, 2009 »
Embarrassingly enough I never posted an introduction!

I'm a mid-20s indie game developer currently residing in North Carolina. After college I did the indie thing for a bit but fell back into web development. It's not until the past year or so I've returned to doing game development seriously and I wasn't making much progress honestly until Adam released Flixel.

I'm currently working on a few different game projects which you can see on the forums. I definitely hope to contribute to the Flixel community and help make Flixel even more awesome than it currently is.

Patches

« Reply #53 on: Thu, Sep 24, 2009 »
Hey I'm Michael aka Patches and I met a bunch of you guys at this year's Austin GDC.  I just moved to Austin after working in publishing at 2K Games where I worked on a bunch of AAA shooters but also some indie games.  

I'm still looking for a *real* industry job (read: would like healthcare again) but until then I'm trying to get up to speed with AS3 and prototype as many ideas as I can.  Flixel's perfect for that, and I made the jump from AS2 in about a week.  Thanks to everyone I met at GDC for the tips and you folks online for tutorials and great forum posts, hopefully I will contribute more than I take.

I didn't kill all those people, this is from the Catacombs in Paris
« Last Edit: Thu, Sep 24, 2009 by Patches »

knivel

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Thu, Sep 24, 2009 »
Hey guys, I'm Pat. I met some of you guys at AGDC and the Flixel workshop.

I'm currently a contractor at Microsoft Game Studios in Seattle, but I'm planning on trying full-time indie Flash game development in the near future. So far, I've made one game in Flixel (Station 38), and I'm working on a second.
You can check out my other games, pictures, animations, and various Actionscript doo-dads I've made at my website: www.patkemp.com
« Last Edit: Sun, Oct 4, 2009 by knivel »

MegaIlinx

« Reply #55 on: Sun, Oct 4, 2009 »
What's happening guys? I'm from the Cackalack as well. - I'm a music producer and indie game dev here in Raleigh. Work-wise I've recently moved from Nintendo DS homebrew into a flixel/flash environment and I'm loving it. Learning Actionscript wasn't bad at all - and I'm getting a ton of work done. Much love and respect to Adam and everyone that made flixel possible.
Check me on the webs! http://dsbeat.blogspot.com/

PlayOrDie

• Game Over
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sun, Nov 1, 2009 »
Hello, Flixel world! I'm Barnaby, I live in East London.  

Imo you are getting the best of both with Flixel: a decent library to use, and the extensibility of being able to edit and play with it.

Hope to make some connections and generally hang out, discuss game dev and such.

:D
« Last Edit: Tue, Aug 24, 2010 by PlayOrDie »
Make it work reliably and fast.
Donald Lebeau - Gauntlet

benb

« Reply #57 on: Sun, Nov 1, 2009 »
Hey all! I've most recently been an C#/XNA developer, writing games as an indie hobbyist for the Xbox 360. I found out about flixel a few months ago and have been messing around with it a bit in the hope of making some nice Flash games.

I have actually been so impressed with flixel's ease and design that I've been porting it to XNA so that any games I write for one platform can be moved to the other as simply as possible. (As it turns out, it's looking like this plan will work excellently.)

Anyway, I'll be hanging around in the forums a bit. Glad to be here!

Nomad

« Reply #58 on: Thu, Nov 5, 2009 »
Hi
I'm 23
Living in Kiev, Ukraine, but want to try some other places before staying firmly in one place.
Making casual downloadable games as c++ programmer for living, but trying to move completely to flash gamedev, just love the diversity and freedom of flash games.
Love to listen different music, especially the rock music of 70s (Jimi Hendrix is a god :) )

Fugitive of Physics

« Reply #59 on: Mon, Nov 16, 2009 »
What's up, everyone? I'm Fugitive of Physics, but I'll answer to Fugitive, or Jeremy, or Jere, or FoP, or kid, or doofus. Really, anything, as long as I know you're talking to me and I don't find it offensive. You know what? Call me Douglas. We don't have any Douglases here, right?

I'm a Christian, and while I don't go shouting in the streets, I wouldn't mind talking about it if you want.

Anyway, I found Flixel through playing Canabalt on armorgames.com. I've never made a game in my life, and know nothing about programming, however I am enjoying learning how to use it. I use Gimp to draw my sprites, right now I have a huge total of one, with only one complete animation at that, however, I am enjoying drawing in pixels immensely, even when I can't use as much detail as I would have liked. I'm really excited to see how it will turn out in my game.

I have a Twitter account (http://twitter.com/FugitivePhysics)which I will probably use to record my progress in Flixel. Give me a shout if you follow me ;).

I have a life, and varying interests, so I don't spend as much time as I would like learning Flixel. I grew up around video games, and would rather play one that watch a movie. In the last few years I started dreaming about making my own games, however it wasn't really possible for me until Flixel. Thanks, Adam.

See y'all around.