Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 59560 times)

Kalkudipiove

• View Profile
Re: Introductions
« Reply #160 on: Sun, Dec 25, 2011 »
Hi. I'm new here and thought it would be prudent to introduce myself before spamming it with stupid questions.

I don't really have any gamecreation dreams but I enjoy learning new skills now and then. Now it's time for gameprogramming.

I do have some earlier experience with programming, but that wasn't really that much and it was a long time ago. So consider me a newbie.

Oh and yeah. English isn't really my thing so feel free to criticise both it and my programming. I'll never learn if I never gets corrected. :)

Games-Garden

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Sun, Jan 29, 2012 »
Evening everyone :)
Ernesto here from Games-Garden. Working in flash for more than 12 years but just starting with Flixel :)

Just wanted to say hello.
Have fun!

Grampa

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: Mon, Feb 6, 2012 »
I'm Grampa for a reason. I'm ancient, but not my brainifity. Oh yeah, I make up words on the fly too. I hope Flixel saves my ass cuz I told a friend I would help her take her game art and turn it into a real game, but I'm a scripter not a programmer. Doh! Like the living dead, I'm looking for brains to suck. This forum looks like it has some brains that don't suck, so here I am. Oh yeah, I have a really dry sense of humor. Did I say dry? I meant sun-bleached in 130 degree Death Valley sun miles from anywhere totally parched kind of dry. I inherited that from my dad, in an object-oriented kind of way:-) So, like Steven Colbert who takes the bow for applause meant for his guests, I welcome me to this forum.

pdistefano

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Sat, Feb 11, 2012 »
Hi people!

I'm 27, working at a large game company (but not working on a game) in Montreal, and I've been coding AS2 and AS3 for 5 years now. I know a bit of Java, a bit of C#, I used to know how to code PHP... I can do basic pixel art, sometimes even moderately complicated pixel art. Also, bassist for a local metal band.

I'm here for the great community, great projects, the nostalgia of old games, the pixel art, the coding, the magic of making games, and to give back in a way or another to this community that helped me squash so many bugs :)

I tried a MiniLD in January 2011, it was a great experience!
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/minild-23/?action=preview&uid=3592

I intend on finishing Halifax 1917, but not the way it looks in the ludumdare link. I'm reworking it in a broader scope, including multiplayer, classes, and FUN!

Also, I started my own blog : www.paolodistefano.com, which is aimed at québécois flash developers / generalist programmers. Sorry for the dialect :)
Maybe I'll translate it to english if need be.

:)

rukiri

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Sun, Feb 12, 2012 »
Hey whatsup?  I currently develop with c/c++, C#, javascript, python, ruby, and have used unities boo in the past but I wanted to get into iOS and Android development and that seems to be in the Flash world even found a nice flixel engine called Stencyl, however most "AS3" doesn't work from what I've tried even basic text like showing "hello world" with FlxText(X,Y,W,String).. 

I would just use flixel all together mainly because all my code seems to be working just fine.. just not in stencyl's "Freeform mode" which is supposed to be pure actionscript 3 from what they're telling me.

Anyways, whatsup?

Hythrain

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Wed, Feb 15, 2012 »
Hi there, my name's Hythrain, or Drew, whichever you prefer.

I'm a 27 year old programmer, as well as a story writer. While I can't say I've made any games, I've had a desire to make them for a long time, which recently has pushed me to actually begin the process of developing an action RPG. I've attempted in the past to make games, but I've always been met with weird problems with are likely from how I programmed them, so I'm hoping to fix this by using Flixel to help me develop some games. I'll admit that my experience with Flash is very little, so I'm bound to come off as more newbish than I wish I did. My writing has turned out to be better, given I've been making a webcomic for a few years now. Hopefully that won't be the case anymore. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, Feb 15, 2012 by Hythrain »

thebluepotter

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Thu, Feb 16, 2012 »
Hello all,

Im new to flixel and flash and in general need more experience being a programmer in general.I love games from the ground up and hope this will never change.  Ive came here for curiosity and help but hope to be able to return the favour one day if I can.

Take care

Bryan

netgrind

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Mon, Mar 19, 2012 »
The names Cale but I go on the net as netgrind. I make video games with this purple haired chick in Toronto and together we are Redex, I've been lurking these forums for awhile and using flixel since not long after I learned as3 a few years ago. Flixel is always my main engine of choice, especially for jamming, but I also use Unity and straight up Flash now and then. Thats about all there is to me, I'm just trying to step out of the shadows a smidge.

flixpoy

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Tue, May 22, 2012 »
Hi, I'm Steve and from the Philippines. I am an IT analyst by profession and a total noob when it comes to game development. I would like to learn how to utilize Flixel and be able to create and develop my own games. I know nothing about Flixel or AS3 programming but I'm looking forward to learn more from you guys.

Yngar The Wise

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Fri, May 25, 2012 »
 ;D Hi I'm Ian! I'm from Denton Texas, and I want to make games. I have yet to finish anything, I have been tinkering around with different platforms for a while but I work full time making airplane parts so I don't have much time to devote to it. I have recently started getting really serious about making games and I think I'm pretty close to getting something out.
I realize I have no credibility until I have something to show so I'm working hard to try to get something that could be called a game. I have gone through countless tutorials but right now I have been working with photonstorm's shmup tutorial and trying to make something of my own out of it.
I usually just lurk around forums but I thought I would take a shot at trying to be part of it. Its pretty hard learning this stuff on my own. I don't know of anyone who does games around here so I don't really have anyone to talk to about this stuff.
Anyway enough rambling, nobody ever reads these. :P

Obachuka

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Sun, May 27, 2012 »
Hey! I'm Gary and I've made a bunch of false starts in games a during high school using Flash and Game Maker. I'm in college now, and I recently made a game prototype in Python using Pygame that people actually liked for once. So now I want to finish the game using Flixel, because I know most people don't want to install Pygame to play a crappy game.

I also love playing the piano.
And the guitar.
Music in general.

What's great about introduction posts, is that no one really pays attention to them. I don't feel like I'm being judged.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: Sat, Jun 16, 2012 »
^^^: I'm judging you, dude. How's that feel? :P

Hello everyone! Woops, I forgot to post this when I first joined.

I'm Sam, but you can call me Cupcake. I've got next to no programming experience and a fair bit of experience with art, especially pixel art. I've wanted to make games for ages but I've always been too busy or gone about it the wrong way. I'm hoping Flixel will help!

I also enjoy baking as a hobby. It may be obvious.

Leebo

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Wed, Jul 18, 2012 »
Howdy... I'm relatively new to game design (started in February 2012). Working on getting my first game finished and already have a new idea cooking.

I suck at Flixel so I'm usually going to be in the help forum >_>

puggsoy

• Not done quite yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Wed, Jul 18, 2012 »
Oh, didn't notice this topic existed until now  :P

Hey, I'm a beginning Flash developer, using Flixel for my first game (although I'll probably use it for future ones too). Hoping to advance to more professional games with C++ and such in the future.

Uh, yeah, not much else to say. I'll probably lurk around the forums a bit, see if I can help people out and maybe gain knowledge from others too :)

erk

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Tue, Jul 24, 2012 »
Hi everyone,

My name's Eric and I'm 26 years old. Figured I'd introduce myself before I start picking brains for knowledge!

How did I get here? Well, my first interest in code began with web development when I was in high school. Through web design, I met design in general (graphic design, etc). I sort of moved away from code, but over the years I've attempted to make my own 8-bit style video games. Usually this ended in failure until the next time I'd make another attempt, get a character to walk around, or maybe shoot a laser if I was lucky. A good friend of mine was messing around with QBasic a long time ago and that was the first time I considered the possibility of making my own games. I gave that a very brief shot before moving to Flash and ActionScript. Now that I've found out about Flixel, my dreams seem to be closer than ever. I'm still only at the point where I can move a character around and shoot lasers (but this time understanding the concept of object pools … barely heh), and adding a simple parallax scrolling star effect and some animations has given me a ton more hope this time around, not to mention the helpful community and source codes to learn from.

Anyway, to make things short, I consider myself an artist but I've always been interested in coding as well. At the moment I'm attempting to learn more ActionScript 3.0, Flixel, and DAME. Thoroughly impressed and excited to learn more. I have tons of questions but I'll only ask when I'm really stumped, I promise :)

Thanks to everyone who's made Flixel and DAME possible. I've barely even scratched the surface, but I see the potential, and I appreciate the opportunity and possibility that I could actually make a game this time around.

Sincerely,
erk
« Last Edit: Tue, Jul 24, 2012 by erk »

Koshmaar

• Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • Koshmaar Games
« Reply #175 on: Sun, Aug 19, 2012 »
Hey

I'm Hubert from Poland :) I've been working in gamedev for a few years, now I'm trying to do sth on my own. And so I'm creating my first game in flash/as3 and Flixel. I can honestly say that I'm very surprised with the speed that you can develop using this set of technologies. Also, the IDE I'm using - FlashDevelop is very very good. I'd say it's even better (cause way faster and easier on the eye, also more configurable) than Visual Studio 2008 - and I've been using VS for 6-7 years already and was fan of it.

So far I've been only reading posts on forums, but now that I sth more, I can start sharing what I've learned.

Ryan Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Sun, Sep 2, 2012 »
Hello Everyone

I am Ryan Ron.....
New member of forum......

sriram

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Sat, Sep 29, 2012 »
Hi, I'm Sri Ram, a character artist by profession. I've discovered flixel through Canabalt and eventually found my way here from Photon Storm's site.
I'm a hobbyist when it comes to developing games, I really enjoyed making some crude flash games several years ago and now I'm looking forward to explore flixel !

You can checkout my artwork at http://sriramatrix.com/

GospelForte

• View Profile
Hello All
« Reply #178 on: Sun, Sep 30, 2012 »
Hello all,

My name is Jason. I am an animator that lives in the SF Bay Area. Was interested in Flixel back in 2009, got distracted, and am trying to get back into making some fun stuff on the side as a way of continuing to learn. I new a little AS2 back in the day and was able to make some stuff while in school using that, but am quite out of practice. Looking forward to learning and sharing.

-JasonM

Rock Forever

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Mon, Oct 22, 2012 »
Hello, i'm Rock Forever and i'm a totally newbie in this of making games.
so... yeah i'm here to learn, coding and be happy  :)