Author Topic: Adobe AIR optimizations?  (Read 2054 times)

PRIZZA

• View Profile
Adobe AIR optimizations?
« on: Fri, Apr 22, 2016 »
I've been trying to optimize my game using the tools available in AIR, such as setting the render mode to Direct to improve performance. I was looking into using Genome2D because of the small success with a dev build of Flixel, but as of now it's completely broken and doesn't look to be fixed anytime soon.

I know Flash/AIR have a few new features since Flixel was written, so are there any other simple adjustments I could make to the Flixel library to help improve rendering or overall performance?

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
Re: Adobe AIR optimizations?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, Jun 26, 2016 »
Did you get any info on this? Also interested.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

PRIZZA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sun, Jun 26, 2016 »
I did some work on the GPU build of Flixel and sent the changes to the author of the Github repo, which he mentioned he'd be updating with some of my work. I was able to get a working version that fully utilizes GPU rendering, which is still in development but is promising. I also made some later modifications that enable a interpolation toggle.

Other than that, getting the hardware boost with "direct" is one of the best things you can do. Oh, and also fixing the FlxRect class to pool objects; there's a major cumulative FlxRect instance leak that causes the GC to run way more than it needs to, causing small lag spikes. I springboarded off of the ObjectPool code by moly to get a fix working.

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, Jun 28, 2016 »
Would you go in details? I'm at the same point and porting my game to AIR but don't know what to do and Googling isn't helpful.

PRIZZA

• View Profile

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, Jun 28, 2016 »
Thanks but could not find any data on how to do optimizations on AIR.