Author Topic: Procederally genereated levels, Help with something more fun then coding!  (Read 1203 times)

zez

• View Profile
    • Devlog
This may very well be the wrong place for this, but I could use some advice all the same... (If it is the wrong place, I apologies for any inconvenience)
Im working on a top down (ish, its that weird 3/4 top down rpg view,) dungeon crawler (ish, once again, its mostly not in dungeons and you can do things like build houses and plant trees, as well as kill infinite enemy's attacking you from all sides,) and I recently revisited my tilemap generator. It had been doing some annoying things, like making levels that where unbeatable. In the process of fixing it, I came upon a startling realization! The levels it was making, though random and potentially infinite, where boring as all hell.
Thus the help.
What sort of level patterns should I start hardcoding into this baby? Currently, it basically makes caves with random passages to different areas. What sort of levels would you like to randomly stumble upon? The sky is (well, mostly,) the limit.
I was thinking I could make an area that is mostly open, surrounded by a gate, with tombstones placed 1 to 4 squares apart from each other, and maybe generate a (semi randomly sized) rectangle of walls with a floor in the middle of em, a door or two, and roof that gets made transparent if you are inside of the building (overlapping the floor, more accurately) sticking some ghosts in the graveyard, and calling it a church?
Maybe petstores full of evil monkeys? The intestinal tract of a dragon?
Where would you want to go?
(As an aside, the ultimate goal of this game is land ownership, that land being the randomly generated levels, so you can use said land to do things like plant gardens, mine oar, start brothels, you know, the usual, so if you can come up with some reason someone would want to own the intestinal tract of a dragon, that would be even more awesome, although there is nothing wrong with it just having a sword of cholecystokinin to reward you for your efforts.)

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
Sounds cool and all but to reall help you brainstorm on the design it would be helpful to know how the game plays like at the moment. Maybe you could give us a prototype to play?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ~Leonardo Da'Vinci

zez

• View Profile
    • Devlog
That would be awesome, sept at the moment it basically doesn't (play, that is.)
I have yet to implement the user account code, not super complicated to do, or super high priority, but as a result the only way to make an account is to go into the source and redefine a variable. I also have yet to finish all of the graphics, and as of such only one race/gender combination is playable, and choosing the other options pretty much just breaks everything... I also need to get some backing for a server, currently to run the thing you would need to be running a php server on your home network with the same address as mine...
That being said, it basically plays like a hybrid of the third Zelda and Harvest Moon, with a touch of more traditional RPG's (You gain levels making your stats go up, your skills level up independently as you use them,) and the potential to be a bit of a bullet hell if the enemy spawn rates are set right. Melee attacks basically work the same as zelda, you swing your weapon in arc, if it hits things it knocks them back a bit and damages them, usually things die in a hit, some take more depending on your weapon, stats, and weapon skill level, and of course there level.

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
This reminds me a lot of the DS game "Rune Factory". Maybe - if you don't know it yet - you can draw some ideas from it? If you don't want to buy it there just watch some gameplay videos or read through the help websites such as http://www.fogu.com/hm/rune_factory/ for inspiration.

Im still looking forward to play your game when it has evolved further! :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ~Leonardo Da'Vinci

zez

• View Profile
    • Devlog
Its actually pretty heavily inspired by the Wii version, or rather, by me getting really pissed off at how many things in the wii version seemed to exist for no reason other then to frustrate me, and wanting to play it without hucking my remote through the screen. (Basically, being needlessly slow passed, offering virtually no rewards for your actions in the game world, there not really being enough time in the games day cycle to say, water your plants, get materials, and craft something, having both a time system and that ridicules fatigue system, poor collision detection coupled with the fatigue system... I could probably go on...)
I also got a little confused as to why you had a garden, and then there where random plots of land in dungeons, and what the hell you where doing in dungeons in the first place, other then just grinding to gain levels and craft new items, thus the expansion theme in this one. I might look into the DS games for level ideas, but I remember the Wii game basically just having caves with tunnels and random windy passages leading to dead ends that may or may not contain treasure or resources, and that's basically all mine is generating right now (Im basically filling an array with random data, setting paths from all the exit/entrance points, then using a drunkards walk to make caves, and although that totally makes caves, giving it more options then that would be nice...)