Author Topic: Grave E Tea (My diversion project, still WIP, but close to done and playable.)  (Read 2301 times)

zez

• View Profile
    • Devlog
https://www.mochimedia.com/games/grave-e-tea

http://drop.io/graveeteasoundtrack
Aaaannnd the soundtrack is done.
All of those loop pretty well, even in flash, the exception being The game over song, as it just plays once (and usually for less then the total track time.)
They are all compressed to hell, for obvious reasons, but sound pretty much the same as they did in my tracker, probably do to the fact that they are just oscillators, and frequently downsampled anyhow to get more of a retro sound.

There are some much needed updates, Crumpets no longer spawn directly next to the ghost spawner, so you wont jump for that last crumpet only to get a game over when a ghost randomly spawns. Tea also doesnt spawn as close to the ghost spawner, this is kind of a mixed blessing. On the one hand, it makes the first 5 levels easy, and seeing as there the first 5 levels thats good. It also makes it harder to Farm ghosts on the later levels, as you have to run further from the spawner to get more Tea, this strikes me as also being good from a gameplay point of view, but may hurt some diehard players score's.
I also added in a logo for the game on the title screen, and will be working on more music today (Priority number 1 is a game over song, followed by the remaining three maps. Im not really sure if anyone but me has made it past the second map so those are low priority, and seeing as I usually die before the third map anyhow...)
I also am playing around with the idea of adding new enemy types and powerups on later levels. Any recommendations in those departments?

SLIGHT update, Highscores should get much higher, I added in a combo multiplier on the ghosts, and a level multiplier on all points, to encourage people to eat the friggin crumpets.

This is getting kind of ridicules.
new version http://graveetea.site11.com/graveetea.swf
Kind of minor, put in the scoreboard, Fixed some text stuff (anti aliasing on centered text, didnt bother hacking flxtext, just got creative with my alignments.) and fixed the hitbox on the player so you dont get stuck so much.

And now! Beta version 2.3, because its a good number!
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1271564881
Changes made in this version;
1:There are now levels, that's right, as in, more then one map. Every 5 levels, you get a new map, with a shiny new pallet swap of the tile set!!!
2:There is MUSIC! Mwahahahaha! Im probably going to make more tracks for this game, but for now there is a background loop, its a little over a minute long, and loops remarkably well considering how bad flash is at that.
3:Tweaked the spawn function on the Tea so you spend less time in early levels waiting for it to exist well ghosts accumulate and swarm in such a way that going after those last few crumpets is certain death.
4: On that note, fixed some spelling errors (biscuts, for example, now reads crumpets)
5:Changed the Crumpet graphics, they now look like crumpets, not coins, and are not all identical.
6: Fixed the double Jump, as soon as klembot mentioned it, it started pissing me off every time I played. Before that it had seemed totally natural for some reason.
7:No one will probably notice this, but the gameover screen shows a random message now, previously people just assumed it did, even though there was only one, but umm... seeing as that was a good idea XD.
8:You can restart the game after you die now, making it far more replayable (what with being replayable and all...)
9:Every some amount of points you get a 1up, making this game way easier.
10: Increased the invulnerability time after you die / when the map first loads. I occasionally died as soon as I started playing, kinda frustrating.
11:Nope, I think thats about all I did.

Stuff that still needs doing:
More music, Title Logo, Scoreboard... am I missing anything? Suggestions?
Well, its not totally done. I need to make new maps for it (seeing as there is 1, and I plan to have at least 10) and sit down and write the music but that shouldnt take tooo long, I want a different track to play for each level so it doesnt get too annoying (read; repetitive,) but Im a musician first and a programmer like... maybe 12th or something, so it shouldnt be an issue.
Anyhow, this game is basically Pacman as a platform game. The games intro explains the play mechanics fairly well, and it only uses the arrow keys anyhow, so odds are you should be able to figure it out. Eventually Im going to put a scoreboard into this, but thats lower priority then the levels and music.
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1271378568
« Last Edit: Wed, Apr 21, 2010 by zez »

cai

• Contributor
  • the illest of villains
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Cash
Heh, this is pretty fun.  It's very obviously based off Pacman, but I like that it plays differently.

The messages when you die are nice.  I only died once, but I'm assuming they change.  Unfortunately when you die, it does not give you any way to continue again without reloading.

The intro messages are pretty cute.  I especially like "Bobert <3s Tea."  Probably good to note that the word is "biscuits," though. ;)

I really like this.  Definitely want to see more!
Follow me on Twitter | Come join us at #flixel on irc.freenode.net!

zez

• View Profile
    • Devlog
Heh, whoops. Yeah, I know there isnt a way to restart it, I was going to work on that once I put in the scoreboard, although thats kind of ridicules come to think of it, seeing as I could just do it now, in less time then it takes to explain I was planning on doing it later  ::)...
As for me misspelling biscuits, that is duly noted, although I plan to replace them with crumpets as soon as I figure out what a crumpet looks like...
Wait, once again, I should just do that now. Google images AWAY!
*EDIT*Ohh! We just call those English muffins in the states... I feel silly. Well, at least they aren't freedom muffins...*EDIT*
« Last Edit: Fri, Apr 16, 2010 by zez »

amitait

It's nice :)

But I got stuck between walls sometimes. I don't like the colors...
Pacman likes makes me anxious...

Good luck with your game!

zez

• View Profile
    • Devlog
What caused you to get stuck between walls? Can you re-create it, I haven't noticed that bug yet...

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
This is quite cool actually. I like the effect on the player when you've had your cup of tea. I think there's a lot of potential in this.

klembot

• View Profile
This was fun to play with -- one thing I noticed was if you double jump on the way down from your initial one, you sort of just hover in the air for a little bit, then drop back down. I think maybe set the y velocity to jump instead of subtracting from it?
I will never reveal the twofold secret.

zez

• View Profile
    • Devlog
quick bump for new version

amitait

Ok, now it's much much better.
I'm still getting nervous (:)) but it's all much more fun to play.

zez

• View Profile
    • Devlog
New versions up, with version control, seeing as this game is still being heavily modified and updated.