Author Topic: Wonder Bounce - Completed!  (Read 12567 times)

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
Wonder Bounce - Completed!
« on: Mon, Jul 6, 2009 »
Hello,

I've finally "completed" Wonder Bounce.  It feels good to have my first Flixel game under my belt.

BIG props go to Phlog for hooking up the music in this game!  It sounds brilliant!

Some things todo: 
1. I got permission to use TDK's old MOD tunes a while ago, but I think I will need to get it again since I edited them a bit.   Phlog is the new tune smith!  Man that guy rocks!
2. Polish sounds.
3. Add in bonus coins in the few levels there are.
4. Make the instructions do something on the menu or remove the option all together.
5. Change the pause screen from the default MODE one.  WOOPS...

WONDER BOUNCE!

Ishmoo was cleaning the sacred temple floors when he happened across a scroll.  He knew he shouldn't have read it.  His master has always warned against reading techniques that tooooo far beyond his skill.  

Ishmoo was feeling especially good about himself, as his cleaning was going quite well, so he decided to chance reading the scroll and absorbing the new technique.

As good as his feelings were, his training was not quite up to snuff, and his soul was knocked from his body by the psychic energies buried in the scroll!

Help Ishmoo regain his budy and defend it from the other lost souls that are attempting to steal his body!

Jump on the little lost souls heads to make the crash into each other.  The only way to lose is to let them into your body!

Link to play:
http://darthlupi.com/projects/Wonder_Palm/

Please feel free with the feedback!

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Thu, Jul 23, 2009 by darthlupi »
To take care of that not so fresh feeling: #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
Re: Wonder Bounce
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Jul 6, 2009 »
60k is about the best I can do :D  it gets to a point where its just like "you are trapped up high, so PREPARE TO GET MURDERED" which i feel I kind of get stuck in, like I don't have a lot of input in not getting out of that?

Otherwise the basic mechanic of jump launching guys upward and defending your own corpse are F'ing awesome :D  Would it be ok if I added this to the screenshot grid on the home page?

radix

« Reply #2 on: Mon, Jul 6, 2009 »
This is bizarre. Very cool theme; it took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on :)

You can definitely get back down, but it's hard. I got to 117k or so after a couple of rounds of filling up / clearing out the enemies.

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #3 on: Tue, Jul 7, 2009 »
Adam Atomic ,

If you wouldn't mind, I would like to put about another week or so of work into it before anyone besides us forum folk play it.  I want to have a nice menu, a few levels, and add a combo system.  I want to make it possible to BEAT the game and get back in your body.  I hate leaving the little fellow on the ground like that!

It would be a HUGE honor after I polish and tweak it to have on your grid!

I should have mentioned it too, but if you press down you will sort of short hop you way back down to the floor.  I can make it so it actually adds to your velocity.y!  Be kinda cool if I changed the down jump sprite to one where a sort of power is shooting out of his feet!  Nothing like visual feedback to help people know what they are supposed to do right?

radix,

I will do my best to have a little skippable intro to explain what is happening!  I was thinking of just having the main character, Ishmoo sweeping, pause open the scroll and the then FLASH!  Your spirit is transported to this place!

Originally I was going to have something like a color matching game throw in, but I am having a tough time getting the enemies to line up right!  Think you destroy the three enemes that are beside each other if they are the same color?  Poo on me.

radix

« Reply #4 on: Tue, Jul 7, 2009 »
Oh, the down arrow thing is definitely helpful.

By the way, I like the idea of leaving the "story" implicit. It's fun to have a delayed realization :)

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #5 on: Tue, Jul 7, 2009 »
That's a very good point Radix.  I think one the most impressive story's in a game I have played was Out of this World ( or Another World ), and it was devoid of any text or dialog.

Even Mario is a silent protagonist!  Oh, sure he has the occasional yelp or MamaMia!  For the most part his character is yours to develop.

These little things really help when it comes to development too.  You don't have to create tons of content, and you can focus on the game play.

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #6 on: Tue, Jul 7, 2009 »
yea sure thing!  lookin forward to it :)  nice work!

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #7 on: Sun, Jul 12, 2009 »
Alright, I've updated the game a bit.  I added a more advanced combo and scoring system.  If you hit the floor the combo starts over!  Super technology there boys!

Also I figured out the level progression system with my home brew map editor, so I should be able to get five or so levels together, a menu, and a little ending and call it a game!

Enjoy the little two level demo!

Later!

radix

« Reply #8 on: Sun, Jul 12, 2009 »
Nice polishing!

One thing about the first level: maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it seems it doesn't last long enough even for me to get up into the top half of the screen (i.e. for the top ghosts to reach low enough for me to jump on them).

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #9 on: Mon, Jul 13, 2009 »
Oh yeah,  I am sorry about that!  It is going to take some definite refinement on how many baddies it will take to consider it a complete level.  Something to tweak this evening...

Thanks!

Deadheat

« Reply #10 on: Mon, Jul 20, 2009 »
Nice lupi. The powerup is a nice touch. It'd be nice if you could get powerups that shot from different directions, and maybe one to slow down time or what not. But it's looking good. Nice work. :)

HI5 Studios

« Reply #11 on: Mon, Jul 20, 2009 »
Nice game very addicting. I like the graphics and the suprisingly deep gameplay.

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #12 on: Mon, Jul 20, 2009 »
Thanks guys,

I am going to try to finish this up tonight.  I really only want it to be 5 levels because I feel that expanding the basic game mechanic too far will only kill the enjoyment.

Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out an online leader board system with flash to keep it interesting.

Thanks for the suggestions and the props!

PS Nice to see you here Mr Deadheat!

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
Re: Wonder Bounce - Completed!
« Reply #13 on: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 »
Pretty awesome!  Can I feature it on the front page now?  Also I think you have a nasty bug during the Playstate constructor, or maybe in PlayState.update?  I can play sometimes, but earlier it froze firefox, and I have to "continue" or "dismiss all" debug errors each time I load.

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #14 on: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 »
Oh feature it away!  BUG!   DAMNATION!  I bet it's the damned xml loader for maps.  Oooooooo.  I won't know till I get home.  

I'll be updating it tonight after I figure out the xml bug!  Thanks for warning and props.

Code: [Select]
var loader:URLLoader=new URLLoader  ;
var req:URLRequest=new URLRequest(_which_map);
loader.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE,on_xml_completed);
loader.load(req);

Once the script on_xml_completed is where I load all of my game objects.  I bet it doesn't wait there before executing any more code like I thought it did.  DANG IT.

The reason I say that is the second time playing through it of course runs fine casue the xml is loaded.  BAG OF POO

« Last Edit: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 by darthlupi »

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #15 on: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 »
I think I fixed the error.  I was doing some stupid crap!  We'll see though, hoping to get some play testers???

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #16 on: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 »
It seems to be working much better here, but maybe its doing that already loaded thing?  Regardless I'm not getting the errors or anything anymore :)

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #17 on: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 »
Sweet.  I've posted it on a few development forums, and I am hoping to have it all stabalized by the morn.

It's funny how code gets sloppy when you get excited about it working. :)

radix

« Reply #18 on: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 »
Super cool! Very very well polished!

However, I think it could use a "hard" mode :-)

cambrian man

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 »
Really cool, I dug it a lot! Personally, I appreciated that I could actually beat it.  :)