Author Topic: Theory behind Laser Beams?  (Read 6878 times)

Esti

• View Profile
Re: Theory behind Laser Beams?
« Reply #20 on: Mon, Jan 7, 2013 »
Thanks. I knew that tutorial but I thought someone would have this old class revamped for flixel 2.5, It looks like it has some nice effects on it.

Maybe I don't have a choice but to make my own crappy looking laser :)

Check it out on Mochi!

Leebo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mon, Jan 7, 2013 »
I think this tutorial does it better... it deals with drawing the laser and colliding it with an FlxTilemap (but leaves out the player-laser collision): http://bullettimeninja.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/lasers-and-ray-casting.html

Wow, that blog is both awesome and sad... he made a really great looking Flixel game and seems to have given up because of the negativity and lack of financial success it endured.

I hope if I ever release a game as good looking as that, I can push through the inevitable crap =(

wg/funstorm

• Global Moderator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Funstorm
« Reply #22 on: Mon, Jan 7, 2013 »
Every game dev I know has an experience like it early on... you pour your heart and soul into something, and then when you put it out there players don't get it, leave mean feedback and it doesn't make a lot of money. Then you learn from it, and try to make the next one better.

I'm surprised he freaked out like that... after all he worked at Zynga before making that game so people saying mean things about games he worked on shouldn't really be new to him! Also 100k plays on Kong is nothing to scoff at... most of games get much less than that.

Leebo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tue, Jan 8, 2013 »
I guess working for a big game company, even one as maligned as Zynga, might give me a different perspective.

He must have overestimated how "easy" it would be to jump into the indie thing.

It just made me think... how many amazing indie games we wouldn't have if their creators had been that discouraged by their earlier games.

Raf

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tue, Jan 8, 2013 »
Wow, that blog is both awesome and sad... he made a really great looking Flixel game and seems to have given up because of the negativity and lack of financial success it endured.

I hope if I ever release a game as good looking as that, I can push through the inevitable crap =(
The game itself was pretty good. I couldn't finish it myself, even after trying for 3 days, cause I knew what to do, but simply couldn't execute it in one level. That's the game's main flaw. I guess it's linked to one of the 3 points he sums up as the problem:

The second complaint is a stupid hardware problem called Key Jamming. A large number of computer keyboards simply cannot detect when 3 or more keys are held down at the same time. Unfortunately for me, Bullet Time Ninja needs to detect 4 keys being held at the same time for an optimal experience. There is nothing I can do to solve this problem, and ignorant players just assume that I did a crappy job. I think this is why Platformer games are still primarily sold on game consoles.
In all honesty... That's something he could've foreseen before starting, that pressing 4 buttons at the same time might've been a problem. I guess that the reason behind the 1st (not telling how to play the game) and 3rd problem (Game controls should be like this or that) actually come from this one. If the controls actually worked (meaning you didn't need specific hardware that could register 4 buttons at once), people wouldn't have gotten the feeling they were lacking info, or that the control scheme was lacking. So, in hindsight, no matter how bad it was for the guy, he could've prevented it by seeing: "My game would require people to press 4 buttons at the same time. No other game whatsoever -- big blockbuster commercial or otherwise -- requires that. There might be a reason for that..." and then figuring a solution out. There are solutions for it. If you see how creative people can get with one-button controls, I'm sure he could've gotten around it.

So, it's sad for the guy, seeing the amount of work he's put into it, but just that tiny bit of forethought would've made a tremendous difference, as the game itself and its concept, is just plain awesome -- if your keyboard allows you to play it.

And yeah, I might be a bit harsh, but it's a huge mistake for someone who puts this in his blog's profile and makes it appear on every page:
I love studying how people interact with software, and value well-executed user experiences.

Leebo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tue, Jan 8, 2013 »
The weird thing is that putting it out on Kongregate taught him some of those things... and he did try to fix some of them. But then he apparently gave up. Did he ever upload the game anywhere else?

I know it's not for everyone, but I really love the workflow that FGL allows, where you can have your game playtested by devs and gamers extensively before it ever gets released.

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tue, Jan 8, 2013 »
The weird thing is that putting it out on Kongregate taught him some of those things... and he did try to fix some of them. But then he apparently gave up. Did he ever upload the game anywhere else?

I know it's not for everyone, but I really love the workflow that FGL allows, where you can have your game playtested by devs and gamers extensively before it ever gets released.

There are a lot of weird things. For example, he complained he only made $100 - apparently from Kongregate ad revenue - while he would have needed $600 to break even. Why on earth wasn't he going for a sponsorship? Ads just won't let you get that much money. The game isn't on NG either, which would have allowed him to earn a little bit more from ad revenue.

The visuals of the game aren't extremely great either. I especially dislike the use of those ugly grey standard-FlxButtons in the main menu.