Author Topic: A development team  (Read 1903 times)

Juggernaut

• View Profile
    • Anabolic Studios
A development team
« on: Mon, May 17, 2010 »
Hmmz so what do you guys do for a team?  Do you have a couple friends who come over and you guys brainstorm and put it together?  do you guys have internet buddies? I'm wondering because I'm a horrible artist and wonder how one goes about finding someone to do the art!

I would rather not pay an artist but have someone who wants a stake in the game or something to that effect.  but i do not know how it works.

thanks eh

zez

• View Profile
    • Devlog
Re: A development team
« Reply #1 on: Mon, May 17, 2010 »
For the project Im working on right now, I have one artist I went to highschool with, who is pretty into the game idea, but has almost no free time, another person who was one of my best friends for years, and kind of arguably still is, but moved to Michigan doing plot stuff, another really close friend, separated by distance doing level designs, and another friend of mine who does a bunch of 3d animation stuff and really wants to make a career out of making game art doing tile work.
I probably lucked out, to some extent, with having friends who are interested in the project. The one doing plot stuff for this one is actually just amazing to work with, and has contributed a bunch of ideas to different projects I have worked on, and generally tests whatever code I throw together till it explodes.
That being said, this method isnt all smooth sailing. I still end up putting in about 80% of the workload, and frequently spend weeks on end waiting for someone to whip up whatever asset they are theoretically working on. I think the best way around that is probably to pay people, or somehow find somebody who is as into the game concept and creation process as you yourself are, but good luck with that.

Richard Kain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tue, May 18, 2010 »
No such thing. I've been a solo act for quite some time. Most of my friends aren't interested at all in game development. And I don't think any of them know how to code. Precious few of them know how to illustrate. I do occasionally get some help from my two brothers on music. They can both compose, so I'll ask them for their help if I need some tunes. But on the whole, I'm going it alone.

cai

• Contributor
  • the illest of villains
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Cash
« Reply #3 on: Tue, May 18, 2010 »
With Eden Island, we all just happened to be on IRC at the same time, and brainstormed out a few ideas.  A couple hours later, and we had some art and the start of the game.  36 hours later and we had a nice working prototype.
Follow me on Twitter | Come join us at #flixel on irc.freenode.net!

Juggernaut

• View Profile
    • Anabolic Studios
« Reply #4 on: Tue, May 18, 2010 »
Thanks guys... I have a best buddy who usually does art for webpages for me BUT he takes sooooo freaking long. hah!  I'm the kinda guy that gets into something and forgets the rest of his life while he does it (the joys of working for yourself allows this mentality).  But he just ends up slowing me down. The worst part is its not like you can learn how to draw, it seems to be a talent...

archerboy

« Reply #5 on: Tue, May 18, 2010 »
Thanks guys... I have a best buddy who usually does art for webpages for me BUT he takes sooooo freaking long. hah!  I'm the kinda guy that gets into something and forgets the rest of his life while he does it (the joys of working for yourself allows this mentality).  But he just ends up slowing me down. The worst part is its not like you can learn how to draw, it seems to be a talent...

yes and no for the last part: anyone can draw, but it depends on its application.  For instance, I should take up pixel art and learn how to draw that way since I can sketch, but a flixel game would look fugly with sketches (well, maybe not)

Juggernaut

• View Profile
    • Anabolic Studios
« Reply #6 on: Tue, May 18, 2010 »
hmz I cant draw.. ive tryied making pixel art, any kind of art... hah i am not creative in that area.  when I make a website for work I do all the backend, the CMS/any database programming and etc... I have a partner who does the art work and makes it look good heh.. But you know what? he cant program with crap, he only makes things look pretty. so we work good together... He has no interest in flash games tho

hima

• View Profile
    • My Dev Blog
« Reply #7 on: Tue, May 18, 2010 »
I have an artist buddy. We've known each other for 4 years now, I think. At first I was solo, until I met him. He wants to make animation, and I want to make games. So we compromise and now he's making animation for games :D

Now I have two more members, one is good at communication skill and programming as well. So he deal with business stuffs and sometime dev too. The other guy is good at networking and database ( all the stuffs I don't really like! ), so now I can focus on designing game and coding.