Author Topic: [Finished] Orton and the Princess  (Read 5589 times)

Chman

• View Profile
[Finished] Orton and the Princess
« on: Wed, May 19, 2010 »

Hello,

Here's a little "ironic platformer" I made last week end to learn Flixel (2.34) and AS3. There are 18 levels, two different endings and lots of hidden stuff. The game is very short, actually if you rush through the game you can finish it under 2 minutes.

The only known bug is about collisions, sometimes spikes go through walls... But if you do find some, please report them ;)

No instruction needed, a tutorial is included. Best played with a gamepad, obviously. Along with Flixel, I used Ogmo to create levels (tilemaps, collision map, objects and scripted events). Very nice editor, I recommend it, although it's a bit buggy sometimes.

Oh, one last thing : this game can be very frustrating, but if you're used to platformers, it's relatively easy. Don't forget to turn your speakers on, music is part of the experience :)

Have fun !

cai

• Contributor
  • the illest of villains
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Cash
Re: [Finished] Orton and the Princess
« Reply #1 on: Wed, May 19, 2010 »
Really great game!  I love the cute graphics and the music is perfect.  The load time seemed quite excessive for such a small game, but I'm guessing that was because of the music.

The graphics were great, especially coupled with the humorous popups and dialogue.

I really, really hate the garbage chucker thing.  So much.  Everything else was easy enough to time, but that bastard just always got in my way.  I found the secret ending, but it got way too annoying for me to continue.  Again because of the garbage chucker.

I did come across a couple of bugs, but they were very minor:
Very commonly, the popups were repeated.  Very rarely did it make sense to repeat them.  The worst I think was the "find a secret" one, as it popped up every time I died, and ended up getting in my way (I couldn't see what was beneath it, including the character).
Not really a bug, but in that "find a secret" room, I found it much simpler to just jump through all of the bullets.  It was easier than timing two jumps at the bottom.
Some of the text was blurry.  I think this only happened one or two times.  This is probably happening because the FlxText is not wide enough.
In the level where you have to run from the spikes that are chasing you, if you fall into the first pit, you will immediately be killed when you respawn, as the spike chaser thing isn't reset to its starting position.
Follow me on Twitter | Come join us at #flixel on irc.freenode.net!

hima

• View Profile
    • My Dev Blog
« Reply #2 on: Wed, May 19, 2010 »
I'm really suck at this :( Can't get pass the stage where the narrator say 'This should be interesting' Any hint?

eddietree

• Bees nuts
    • View Profile
    • Illogictree
« Reply #3 on: Wed, May 19, 2010 »
Great presentation, great color scheme, and great music. I dig!  ;)
Dev Blog: illogictree | Twitter: @eddietree

Chman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wed, May 19, 2010 »
Thanks guys :)

hima: jump carefully, that's all you can do :D (jump is pressure-based, btw).

cai: thanks for your feedback and bugs report ! I'll correct them as soon as possible. About the swf size, it's because of the music, of course, but if I compress it more it becomes hard to listen to (approximatively 7 minutes of sound shrunk in 3.8MB).

Passing the garbage thrower is easy when you get the hang of it, you have to jump in rhythm, but I guess I'll slow it down a little because you're not the only one who had problems with it.

I'm glad you liked it :)

Kurai

• View Profile
    • Urustar
« Reply #5 on: Thu, May 20, 2010 »
This is a great job. Kudos!

sopesope

« Reply #6 on: Thu, May 20, 2010 »
I'm stuck in the same level hima is. The square block right before the ledge where the princess is seems unreachable, even if you let the button pressed. :(

medium_love

« Reply #7 on: Thu, May 20, 2010 »
I'm stuck on the same level as hima and sopesope. I can't seem to jump high enough. I jumped high enough once but can't figure out how i did it. Very strange. I would be much more frustrated if not for the music.

hima

• View Profile
    • My Dev Blog
« Reply #8 on: Thu, May 20, 2010 »
@medium_love
I've read that if you're on mac and using Firefox, that will happen. You have to play the game on chrome or other browser :( Weird, I know.

Chman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Thu, May 20, 2010 »
Hmm, I think I know what's going on. Jump is pressure-based (the more you hold the key, the higher you jump) but it's not really time-based, so I guess if you're running the game under 60fps you won't jump as high as you should.

And yes, it only seems to happen on Mac + Firefox. Are there any performance troubles with Flash & Firefox on Mac ?

hima

• View Profile
    • My Dev Blog
« Reply #10 on: Thu, May 20, 2010 »
Yeah, flash isn't really at its best performance when it's running on mac. FPS drop on mac is to be expected, at least for me. :(

nitrofurano

« Reply #11 on: Sat, May 22, 2010 »
would be awesome seeing a 720p (or 1080p) display size version of this game

Arkeus

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • I, Arkeus
« Reply #12 on: Tue, Jun 1, 2010 »
I saw this on Jayisgames and I have to say I love it. I'm a huge fan of "hard" platformers (though this isn't very hard, most people I show it to consider it "WAY TOO HARD"). The text blurbs are pretty awesome, and the art style is super cool (and has actually inspired me to use a similar style for my next Flixel game). Awesome job on this, even if it is super short.

epic428

• View Profile
    • Epic Tech World
« Reply #13 on: Fri, Jun 4, 2010 »
well i played for a little while, got pissed sometimes because when the frame rate drops the char can't jump as high, then firefox crashed after a bit and I had to start all  over lol, great game though, wish progress could be saved.

Chman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Fri, Jun 4, 2010 »
Yeah, jumping is broken if the game's running under 60 fps, sorry about that. My next game won't have that problem :)

Dro

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mon, Jun 7, 2010 »
Yeah ok whatever.

pretty funny game )

Jarec

« Reply #16 on: Mon, Jun 7, 2010 »
Nice.

Didn't play it through fully, but I really dig the sarcastic comments, the music and the graphics style.

Especially the latter and the pacing of the levels remind me I've got still much to learn.

But this game goes into my inspiration folder. 'nuff said. ;)

Storming

« Reply #17 on: Tue, Jul 6, 2010 »
Talking about the problem that some people have in the second "real" level, I had it. But I only had it when I played it in friv.com, pretty weird, because I am playing it in kongregate.com and I don't have it.