Author Topic: Suggested game resolutions?  (Read 1771 times)

Hectate

• View Profile
Suggested game resolutions?
« on: Sun, May 23, 2010 »
I'm feeling like I'm getting a better handle on AS3 and Flixel now and am starting to consider my own game designs, instead of just the tutorials. Obviously I'll have to make all the design decisions and the first that comes up that I have no real clue (outside of the example games) is what kind of resolutions work best for flash games? Obviously they have to fit in a browser, but what about sponsors' limits? Anybody have some tips on choosing a good resolution for the flash window?

If it helps, my most current front-running idea (that I intend to go with) will not utilize any zoom, nor will it be scrolling (think like the invaders' example game as an archtype of it). I'm not planning on going retro with the graphics on it, any thoughts?
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

cai

• Contributor
  • the illest of villains
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Cash
Re: Suggested game resolutions?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, May 23, 2010 »
Usually it's best to keep the same dimensions of the screen, 4:3 or 16:9.  That being said, there are many games which would work best with different settings.

Here's a list of common resolutions off the top of my head:
320x240 - This is what DOS games used.  Probably too small if you won't have any zoom.
320x480 - The iPhone's pixel dimensions.  This works well if you are targetting both, like Canabalt does.  Also good to display it inside an iPhone frame.
640x480 - I'd really consider this the upper limit for a Flash game.
800x600 - Definitely the upper limit for anything in a browser.
1024x768 - Only okay for an AIR app.  Would definitely be unplayable on older hardware, as you'd get about 5 FPS...

Of course, you can also reverse those and go for a vertical game, if that suits your fancy... :)
Follow me on Twitter | Come join us at #flixel on irc.freenode.net!

Chman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sun, May 23, 2010 »
You can also use a wide screen size if it suits your game better :)

Something like :

480x260
640x360
1280x720

And so on... Or even go with a cinemascope-type size. It all depends on what kind of game you'll be doing and how you fill the space. But don't make it too large or it'll be slow on older computer.

hima

• View Profile
    • My Dev Blog
« Reply #3 on: Mon, May 24, 2010 »
800 x 480 is also something to consider. Many android phones has that resolution.

Quasiperfect

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tue, Jun 8, 2010 »
I tend to use 800 by 600 for most of my stuff, simply because it's the FD default. I also tend to use 512 by 384 (or 32x24 16px tiles) for a game world and maybe a 48 more vertically for menus.

archerboy

« Reply #5 on: Wed, Jun 9, 2010 »
Wow thanks for the post. I was a little curious myself, but decided to think about it after I started more programming and before I started drawing.