Author Topic: [Finished] Beat Boost  (Read 2239 times)

NoobsArePeople2

• View Profile
[Finished] Beat Boost
« on: Thu, Jul 8, 2010 »
Hey guys,

Thought I'd share my first completed game here.  You can play it on my site at seanmonahan.org/beatboost.

I made the game in less than a week (about 30 hours total) and was made for boingboing.net's "Game Inspired by Music" contest (I'd also recommend checking out the contest as there are some pretty neat games).

An overview of the game and how it works can be found here.  The game is far from perfect, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out given how quickly it was built.  It's nice working with some guidelines and a hard deadline since it really forces you to work and get something out there.  I'd love to hear some comments from fellow Flixel peeps!

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
Re: [Finished] Beat Boost
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Jul 13, 2010 »
Not going to lie to you this game sucks.

By sucks I mean rocks pretty hard.

By rocks pretty hard I mean it is just damned awesome.

You did a really impressive job in the time you had.  I have a single complaint, and that is player sprite needed to be a little more blocky, and perhaps you should have drawn each rotation by hand or done him in vector graphics.

There is just something about him during rotation where he loses his digigal lovely nes.

Other than that no complaints what so ever.  Cool stuff, and cool songs.
To take care of that not so fresh feeling: #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/

NateTheGreatt

• smell the sound
    • View Profile
    • n8bit
« Reply #2 on: Tue, Jul 13, 2010 »
This game is really, REALLY, cool. Reminds me of Audiosurf (I wouldn't be surprised if you were inspired by it).

You chose some good music :D. I loved all of the tracks.

While this is a fantastic idea for a game and the gameplay is solid so far, it is a little boring. I felt myself amazed at what you did when I first began the game and was very impressed, but by the second song I realized that I was just sitting there listening to music and hitting the up key and the down key here and there.

The 8bit aesthetics for the game are all there. The surf-spray emitter is freaking sweet and the HUD is elegant. If you could implement more gameplay features that the user could interact with I think you would have a home run hit game here.

Again this is a fantastic idea for a game but I think that you need to do something to make it more engaging. It has a ton of potential.
« Last Edit: Tue, Jul 13, 2010 by NateTheGreatt »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

NoobsArePeople2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tue, Jul 13, 2010 »
Not going to lie to you this game sucks.

By sucks I mean rocks pretty hard.

By rocks pretty hard I mean it is just damned awesome.

Ahahahahh...man that made me laugh so hard.  At first I thought, "Whoa, what an a-hole!"  Then I thought, "Ha!  Great lead in!".  Then I thought, "Ah crap...he really does think my game suck hard and was just softening me up to deliver the killing blow..."

Reminds me of Audiosurf (I wouldn't be surprised if you were inspired by it).

Never played Audiosurf, though I'm familiar with the concept of the game.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  The general complaint I've gotten (and totally agree with) is that the game lacks depth.  The other is that the game scrolls too fast (I'm on the fence about this one).  I'm writing a blog about my process and thoughts on the game now that it's been out in the world for a week and gotten quite a bit of exposure and feedback.  I'll give you a quick teaser:

Beat Boost was made in less than a week (spent about 30 hours total) and it was originally planned as a sort of platforming racer with stunts (kinda like Uniracers on the SNES).  In the end all that got cut because it was all frustration and I had a deadline.  Multiplayer was also axed.  The game certainly lacks depth and I think this could be dealt with in a number of ways: multiplayer, obstacles, collectibles, more flip-type stunts.  Again, the time constraint prevented me from really experimenting.  The central idea of levels generated from music was the genesis of the game and thankfully remained intact.

I do plan to revisit the game with some of these ideas in the future so I'd love to hear more about what you and other folks do like and don't like about the way it plays.

EDIT:  Oh and here's a shameless call for votes: Please vote for me!

EDIT 2:  If you like the music be sure to check out the musician's site, tettix.net, as there's plenty of awesome stuff on there.
« Last Edit: Tue, Jul 13, 2010 by NoobsArePeople2 »

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #4 on: Tue, Jul 13, 2010 »
Haha,

Great.  Thanks for the link to the musician.  Do you know if he writes tunes for Flash Games for cash or not?

Regardless, I do think this game captured the essence of the compo quite well, so I gave you my vote with out a qualm.
To take care of that not so fresh feeling: #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/

NoobsArePeople2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tue, Jul 13, 2010 »
Haha,

Great.  Thanks for the link to the musician.  Do you know if he writes tunes for Flash Games for cash or not?

I know he has a blurb about licensing tracks on his site, not sure if he writes for hire.  He is a super nice guy though so I'd just shoot him an email if you want to work with him.

Regardless, I do think this game captured the essence of the compo quite well, so I gave you my vote with out a qualm.

Awesome!  Thanks!

NoobsArePeople2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sun, Aug 8, 2010 »
Hey guys,

I had previously mentioned I'd be writing a post about my process in creating Beat Boost and, it's more than a little bit delayed but you can now read it here.

I don't go into any specifics on using Flixel as the post is about my process for designing the gameplay.

NateTheGreatt

• smell the sound
    • View Profile
    • n8bit
« Reply #7 on: Tue, Aug 10, 2010 »
Hey guys,

I had previously mentioned I'd be writing a post about my process in creating Beat Boost and, it's more than a little bit delayed but you can now read it here.

I don't go into any specifics on using Flixel as the post is about my process for designing the gameplay.

Awesome! I love reading dev articles. Thanks :D
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Berzee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wed, Aug 11, 2010 »
I have to say, I was really disappointed by my own inability to read, when I finally realized that this game was not called BEAST BOOST.

Even though it's not BEAST BOOST I will play it when I am someplace that I can turn the music on. =)

NoobsArePeople2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Wed, Aug 11, 2010 »
I have to say, I was really disappointed by my own inability to read, when I finally realized that this game was not called BEAST BOOST.

Even though it's not BEAST BOOST I will play it when I am someplace that I can turn the music on. =)

HAHA!  Beast Boost would be an awesome game!