Author Topic: [WIP] HamsterBall Golf (v.5)  (Read 2999 times)

Hectate

• View Profile
[WIP] HamsterBall Golf (v.5)
« on: Tue, Aug 3, 2010 »
I've had the pleasure of working around in the Stencyl beta here recently, and would like to show off a game I've started on with it.

HamsterBall Golf (currently misspelled ingame, I'm ashamed) is a simple golf-type game with a twist - it's a side-view (gravity) golfing game! The concept is that hamsters are playing golf from inside of their little rolling hamster-balls. Kinda.

http://www.netlate.com/swf/hampsterballgolf.htm

You do not have to wait for the ball to stop moving to "hit" it again. In fact, you'll have a very difficult (read as "impossible") time on some levels if you do. This does make it a bit less like golf and a bit more like a platformer like the tiles are from.

Most of the graphics are not mine. In the future I need to add music, sound effects, more courses (18 holes with a theme, such as using an ice tileset), etc.

I've considered various options of how to implement different degrees of force when hitting the ball, but nothing I've considered is the perfect solution, yet. Once (if) I have that solved, I'll consider implementing a way for the ball to move too fast to get into the hole and how that would effect it.

Feedback is appreciated!
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

zyxstand

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] HamsterBall Golf (v.5)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, Aug 4, 2010 »
cute little game.
fun to play too (a bit frustrating at times - and not the right kind of frustration :/)
where's the hamster?!
maybe you can implement a slow-motion key?  while you hold it, everything's slow motion so you can aim better your next click.  of course, limited slomo time that resets after each click.
I'd like to see slopes!  regular tile-based platformer are already annoying when everything's so blocky so that it makes you come to a stop.

Hectate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wed, Aug 4, 2010 »
Excellent suggestions. The slow-motion hadn't occured to me, I'll have to experiment with that - it might actually be a saving grace for the game. The slops DID but I didn't have a tileset that included them at the time. I actually do now. :)
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

SysOp

• View Profile
    • check my kick ass half-life mod!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, Aug 5, 2010 »
Here's a few comments, suggestions, stuff :P

-I like the text
-Can't skip screens using mouse button. (not biggie but...)
-I noticed, sometimes, the black border of the intermission gets cut
-Would be great if a line or something that shows where the ball is going to land could appear when you are holding your mouse button.
-Dunno if its a bug or a feature, but I found myself clicking like a lot in order to move the ball.
-Stadistics could be added (time spent, moves, stuff like that)
-Would be nice to let the player skip a few levels (3 max, for ie)

Aside that, I liked the game, difficulty was good. Graphics for the tiles are cute, dunno if they are place holders or not, but I liked those :)
"Hope is not a dream, but a way of making dreams become reality"

Loupax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tue, Aug 10, 2010 »
Cute game, I liked the colors! A catchy happy tune will make it pretty addictive I think...
I wonder if you'd implement diffenent kinds of floor (more-less bouncy ones, sand pits ets) but that's more about what you want to do.

Fun!
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.
--Vaarzuvius
My blog!

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #5 on: Wed, Aug 11, 2010 »
Great idea to mix a platformer with golf! It`s allready quite fun to play!

There are some awesome suggestion posted in this thread that I can only second. And to add 2 of my own:

- You could vary the strength at which the ball is hit (accelerated) based on the distance of the click. If I click close to the ball it's only a slight push in that direction. If I click on the opposite side of the screen it's strong.

- I think it could be cool to add some interactive elements. Crates you could crash into (Box2D physics) or switches and bouncers like in a pinball game.
« Last Edit: Wed, Aug 11, 2010 by lithander »
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ~Leonardo Da'Vinci

Hectate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wed, Aug 11, 2010 »
Great idea to mix a platformer with golf! It`s allready quite fun to play!

There are some awesome suggestion posted in this thread that I can only second. And to add 2 of my own:

- You could vary the strength at which the ball is hit (accelerated) based on the distance of the click. If I click close to the ball it's only a slight push in that direction. If I click on the opposite side of the screen it's strong.

- I think it could be cool to add some interactive elements. Crates you could crash into (Box2D physics) or switches and bouncers like in a pinball game.
I'd considered the "distance-to-strength" option, but it fails if the player needs to click outside of the flash window to get the desired strength (say to bounce the ball off of a wall).

Box2D objects would be simple, since Stencyl uses Box2D as it's physics engine. I'm not certain it would fit the game style or theme, but as I do more courses I'll keep the idea in mind. A big concern is not letting any physics objects interfere with the game to make it "no-win" (such as a crate getting stuck over the hole).
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

Berzee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wed, Aug 11, 2010 »
This game is a good game for playing! Yes :)
I agree wholeheartedly with the slow-motion -- I like being able to click again in midair because it makes it different from all those others Worms-feeling games. It's like double-jump but forever!

Now maybe if there was slow-motion, it would remove the need for power/distance controls. However, since it's hamsters inside of balls, it could be fun to hold the mouse button to build up power, and instead of having an obvious aiming-arrow-that-gets-longer, you could just have the hamster run faster and faster inside the ball. =P

I will share more thoughts if I have them after playing the rest of it!

Jon

• View Profile
    • Stencyl
« Reply #8 on: Fri, Aug 13, 2010 »
Have you thought about a power meter instead, rather than basing the power on distance? (But that may drastically alter the gameplay)

Slow-mo may be interesting to have. That's just a change to a FlxG constant, I imagine?

Hectate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sat, Aug 14, 2010 »
Or just reducing the ball's velocity (or stopping it altogether), since there are (currently) no other moving objects in the game.

I seem to remember an easy solution for implementing slow motion but a quick search didn't provide any results.

Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #10 on: Sat, Aug 14, 2010 »
I seem to remember an easy solution for implementing slow motion but a quick search didn't provide any results.

If all your calculations are driven by FlxG.elapsed (including Box2D updates) then you can just multiply with a scaling factor when updating it to get slow motion effect.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ~Leonardo Da'Vinci

Jon

• View Profile
    • Stencyl
« Reply #11 on: Sun, Aug 15, 2010 »
There appears to be such a constant called "timeScale" in FlxG that I think does what you say.

Berzee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mon, Aug 16, 2010 »
Well! I have played it yet again, which suggests some lasting nutritiousness. I hope you are still tweaking and building =) It is a good project.

Hectate

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mon, Aug 16, 2010 »
Thanks, lasting nutritiousness, well that's a good sign! I haven't done much RECENTLY, however it's definitely not on the shelf. Life's just been busy for me. I hope to do more soon though.

Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.