Author Topic: Call for Contributors: Flixel Wiki  (Read 1344 times)

BullitSpeed

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
Call for Contributors: Flixel Wiki
« on: Mon, Jul 19, 2010 »
The Flixel wiki has the potential to be a far more effective and automatic learning tool than the Flixel forum.

The deeper the wiki, the more quickly we can get over problems in our own game development projects by using this as an expansive reference.  Also, it'll help novice Flixel users get quickly oriented and going there on their own as well, without asking the same questions over and over again here.

I put in about three hours today expanding it.  I'd like to ask anyone here knowledgable in any aspect of Flixel to head on over, register, and begin adding any info, tips/tricks, code, etc...  Doesn't have to be a huge tutorial-- just any bit of knowledge you can dump on there is great.

http://flashgamedojo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Flixel

Have at it and lets make games faster!

;D
« Last Edit: Mon, Jul 19, 2010 by BullitSpeed »

Hectate

• View Profile
Re: Call for Contributors: Flixel Wiki
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Jul 19, 2010 »
I'd done some work in it - mostly related to the Mouse-Aim Tutorial (which I have expansion to release eventually) - but I'll see if there's other places I can contribute additionally.

Everyone else, a good place to start is the "Requests" page!

By the way, I just looked at what you did, that's a lot of recent changes, haha. Good work I guess (I don't have time to double-check it all! But I don't think I need to).

On a completely different note, I wonder if forum plugins exist that allow you to link directly to a specific wiki. Some sort of tag like...
Code: [Select]
[wiki=Requests]Requests Page[/wiki]

Anybody know?
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

keptblue

• View Profile
    • EXTLABS
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Jul 19, 2010 »
i think this wiki is an excellent idea

id just like to give my opinion -- putting (Flixel) and (Flashpunk) in every entry is a little bit excessive. i can't think of any situation where i'd want to be browsing both of those categories at once.

otherwise, it is quite an awesome resource. ill definitely contribute once i can think of something

BullitSpeed

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, Jul 19, 2010 »
I believe it's necessary since you could have (for example) two articles identically called 'Collision' that go into detail on how collision works for Flixel and FlashPunk each, but the Wiki itself can only have one article per title.  Hence, the designator seems needed at this point to create two specific articles, despite the same subject and the category tags.

Looking forward to seeing your additions too!  Sounds great! :)

keptblue

• View Profile
    • EXTLABS
« Reply #4 on: Mon, Jul 19, 2010 »
ohh, true that. it doesn't actually phase me, just a first-impression critique.

thanks mon, will let you know.

BullitSpeed

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, Jul 19, 2010 »
For right now, it's probably best if we can cover even the basics.  Get all of that in place.  By just going through the existing articles, you might find info you can add to beef them up here and there too.

Also, I bet a lot of people might appreciate SeiferTim's Tutorial to get updated and put on the wiki for sure.  Thread after thread here at the forum of "his tutorial is broken-- how do I do it now?" :P

Hectate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mon, Jul 19, 2010 »
I see a few of us were on it tonight. I would have done more but I'm on a phone so it's a little unwieldy for wiki editing.

Nice job with adding all the API pages/links, by the way. I had considered doing it myself but time hadn't permitted. It's really starting to get a good frame and a little meat on its bones. Lets keep it up!

I'm of a mind to write abasic platformer tutorial from scratch.
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

BullitSpeed

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: Wed, Jul 21, 2010 »
Nice updates to the wiki lately.  Great job. :)