0 (0%)
Money!
0 (0%)
Respect!
2 (28.6%)
BOOBS!
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Whats my motivation?  (Read 1158 times)

zez

• View Profile
    • Devlog
Whats my motivation?
« on: Sat, Jul 24, 2010 »
Alright, so for about a million years, I have been working on this totally rad game. Its super gritty and set in a post-apocalyptic dystopian future, where WW3 happened a good while ago, all government fell, France got nuked by America, and pretty much all that remains as far as controlling forces go is one mega corporation and a few rival street gangs.
As far as backstory goes, Im set. As far as actual game plot goes, Im also set. Both are full of twists, deception, and heart break, and all tie together rather nicely (there are branching plots depending on how you play. Whoopdedoo.) I have motivations and origins for the supporting roles, but one is pretty much totally lacking.

The Main character has no name, and no reason whatsoever to be interesting or part of the game, other then that the player controls. That being said, he quickly gets swept up the course of events right after he takes a job for the last remaining mega corporation.

So, why the hell does he take the job?
The options I have given thought to are
1. Someone he loves is dying of cancer. The mega corporation have a cure (this part is totally true regardless of why he took the job.) He takes the job, cancer goes byebye. Game ends up being a tragedy.
2. He's totally motivated by getting the green. Fairly self explanatory, he wants the good life, american dream and all that. He's some sort of ruthless mercenary, cue anti-hero.
3. R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it meaaans too....
I dun really like this option to much, to be honest. Im not really sure how to write a character who's sole motivation is what other people think of him. Sounds like someone I would probably slap.
4. Sex. Yup, plain and simple, nookie is in short supply, and taking the job will get him laid. Kinda like Mario rescuing the princess. Thats cool. Kinda simple, but fairly relatable.
5. Hunger. For food. Yummy food. Dude is broke and starving, and this payoff could buy him a lot of taco's. I kinda like this option, mostly because (spoiler alert) he never gets payed, and could then spend most of the rest of the game trying to get food, and complaining in the midst of important dialogue about being hungry. Pretty much kills the gritty feeling of the rest of the plot, but thats not all bad. Plus, then I can make the game end with a hero's feast and everyone feeling good about themselves.

You can check out my devlog (theres a link in my signature) to get some clue about the rest of this here game... I dun have a playable build anymore, as I didd some silly stuff to make it easier to load levels into the game engine for testing, and as of such nothing loads if the permissions arent set up right, but its FAIIIRLY far along, just missing levels, some slight tweeking, more enemys, and the dialogue.

zyxstand

• View Profile
Re: Whats my motivation?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, Jul 24, 2010 »
characters that do things for the sex-things are always funny. kinda like golden boy. it also allows for the audience to feel simplistic about the main character when they're analyzing him. It also helps for minor plot-twists, like when you observe that all his decisions are motivated by sexual things (like a chick saying "you'll get to see me naked"), and then, one time, when it matters the most, he does something out of the most noble of reasons...... anyway, that's pretty much golden boy right that makes the character so much more likable haha!

Hectate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sat, Jul 24, 2010 »
Post apocolyptic almost guarantees that "money" is a no-go. Maybe the MegaCorp pays people, but they're also the only place to spend money. Not as feasible as the other options.

Who wants to play a downer tragedy? Besides, post apocolyptic also means that life is, well, short and cheap. Not such a good route methinks.

Food is an interesting idea. Certainly it'd be a concern for him.

Sex, however, sells. Obviously it doesn't need to be sexual to fall into this category (Mario, again) but rescuing/helping a damsel is definetely something worth doing in a post apocolyptic scenario. In fact, you could make him the reason that he has to rescue her (although he doesn't want to initially). That sorta makes it even more ripe for drama.

As a side note, you could twist the whole game with a gender bending plot. Not changing genders, but add something into the backstory where males are few and far between and all your characters are female - including the main. It's being studied but some scientists think that the male/female birth ratio is moving slowly toward a clear demale majority. That'd effect the backstory but add a neat "different" factor.
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

zez

• View Profile
    • Devlog
« Reply #3 on: Sat, Jul 24, 2010 »
The gender ratio being slightly skewed towards females is actually kind of a neat idea. The Main character stays male, however, mostly because I already have a mind boggling amount of frames of animation for the main character (He can aim in 8 directions, well running and jumping. He can also wall jump, dash, double/triple/etcetc jump, and has a tun of melee attacks...)
That being said, I did already stick in some code that randomly assigns a sprite sheets to the enemys with the express purpose of having male and female variants of all the standard enemys, so tilting the gender scale wouldnt be hard, and I could probably work it into backstory, maybe. Its definitely food for thought, although if I did that I have a theory making sex the primary motivator is kind of out the window, seeing as males will be in high demand....

Im currently leaning towards food, but Im not sure how long that leaning will last. I was originally going towards the cancer thing, but it seemed like far to much of a downer. I suppose I could do sex + food, seeing as both would be most sane peoples motivators, and well, it worked pretty well for "City Hunter" (<3 Jackie Chan,) along with almost everything to ever come out of japan... hmm....