Author Topic: [WIP] Casual Guy  (Read 1159 times)

NateTheGreatt

• smell the sound
    • View Profile
    • n8bit
[WIP] Casual Guy
« on: Sun, Jul 25, 2010 »
I'm working on my very first semi-large scale complete game project. It's a platformer. I plan on implementing some really nice melee combo moves and maybe some magic or ranged attack.

Here's the prototype engine so far:

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1280101397

Space to jump, again to double jump. X to attack (no animation for attacking yet). The blob thing has a simple AI in him. He will randomly wander about. If you get too close he will chase you, and stop if you get too far.

As you can see I'm still working on the graphics :P.

How do the controls feel? Any critiques / ideas / suggestions / input?
« Last Edit: Sun, Jul 25, 2010 by NateTheGreatt »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

zyxstand

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] Casual Guy
« Reply #1 on: Sun, Jul 25, 2010 »
cute. looks like any generic platformer currently.  controls flow well - the AI's kinda stupid with the movement (make him jump if wall encountered! he gets stuck sometimes).

what you need to focus on (in case you haven't yet) is that you're gonna need something unique that makes your game stand out from the rest!  mario didn't have that problem back in the days because it was unprecedented at its time.  Today, a mario-style platformer (as the flixel engine so easily provides) is a bit boring.
The graphics are decent too, especially for a sketch version as it currently seems. I'd suggest you not worry about them so much yet and focus on your engine!

you're doing well, keep it up! I'll be expecting more soon ;)

NateTheGreatt

• smell the sound
    • View Profile
    • n8bit
Re: [WIP] Casual Guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Jul 26, 2010 »
cute. looks like any generic platformer currently.  controls flow well - the AI's kinda stupid with the movement (make him jump if wall encountered! he gets stuck sometimes).

what you need to focus on (in case you haven't yet) is that you're gonna need something unique that makes your game stand out from the rest!  mario didn't have that problem back in the days because it was unprecedented at its time.  Today, a mario-style platformer (as the flixel engine so easily provides) is a bit boring.
The graphics are decent too, especially for a sketch version as it currently seems. I'd suggest you not worry about them so much yet and focus on your engine!

you're doing well, keep it up! I'll be expecting more soon ;)

Thanks for the reply, very encouraging :D

I know what you mean when you say I need to make it unique. I've been reading up on that recently, checking out ludum dare, the experimental game project, and all of these real cool and unique prototype games and articles about game design. I really love indie game development. If I could make a career out of it I so would.

The thing is that I'm still very new to game design and programming, so I'm going to make a few "copy games" first so I can learn design techniques and get more familiar with OOP. If I happen to stumble upon something that's unique and fun I'll keep it in my game, but I wanna focus on just getting a complete game done.

Again thanks for the input. I'll keep going :]
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery