Author Topic: 2D sideview action game  (Read 1343 times)

zyxstand

• View Profile
2D sideview action game
« on: Fri, Jul 30, 2010 »
has anyone here ever heard of (or even played) soldat?
it's a pretty sick 2D side-scrolling fast-paced online action shooter.  My current flixel project is PARTIALLY inspired by soldat.
For those who have never heard of it, i say try it - it's free of course :).  Many get turned off by the game early on because it is rather difficult at the beginning - no other game touches close to the gamestyle of soldat, so nobody is really used to the control-scheme.  play against a few bots or so your first day and then begin joining online games.  they have a pretty big community as can easily become someone's favorite due to its uniqueness.

so, who's tried it?

NateTheGreatt

• smell the sound
    • View Profile
    • n8bit
Re: 2D sideview action game
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Aug 3, 2010 »
I've messed with it some, but I couldn't get it working well on my machine. The frequent crashes and freeze-ups made me uninstall.

Other than that, I love the game. It's very fun and especially competitive when you get good at it. The controls are certainly unique, but they feel great.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

vonWolfehaus

• View Profile
    • Cold Constructs
Re: 2D sideview action game
« Reply #2 on: Tue, Aug 3, 2010 »
I loved the idea of the game and had been looking for one like it before I discovered it. When I played it though, I sucked, so I never played it again.

Difficulty makes games not fun for me. I love a challenge, but the whole idea is to present players with beatable experiences to make them feel good and be entertained. Loss is supposed to be there or the victory isn't palpable of course, but you need balance.

That was a rant, but soldat's controls didn't sit well with me. And yet here I am, making a shmup with the same controls...
Meet Obama every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.
Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/