Author Topic: Basic Game Tutorial  (Read 75999 times)

Haledire

• View Profile
Re: Basic Game Tutorial
« Reply #140 on: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 »
When I first started looking at the tutorial, I didn't initially see the old downloads page link, and I was completely oblivious to the fact that I had grabbed a different version.

Really a lot of tutorials out there right now fell out of date the moment 1.27 came out late last month with it's major changes (removal of collideArray2, overhaul of collisions, file structure change, etc).  Because the download on the main page goes straight to the latest commit, the fact that most tutorials just say to "get flixel's source" will break them immediately because something could change before they even get the tutorial half completed.

http://flixel.org/forums/index.php?topic=62

Grabbing the v1.25 w/Mode version of Flixel from this page should solve problems following the tutorial as is.

This weekend if i'm not too busy fleshing out my game idea, I might start re-writing this tutorial on the wiki to match a more current version (and maybe mark and update the v1.25 one that's there as well).

murkinesis -

i usually just pull in the org section, as the first folder name is really just the name of the commit coming off of gitHub, which will change every time it gets updated.  The typical file structure you see for this sort of OOP is that what you are actually organizing is a website name. 

The reason it used to be com.adamatomic.flixel is that it was essentially reversing adamatomic.com and the package is called flixel. This is the methodology a lot of people seem to use.  In a way, it's a sort of method to mark in code "ok, this code is coming from this website, and called this name".  Basically, it's a type of copyright label in addition to a file structure.  That's why you would usually just pull in the folder that says 'org' or 'com' or 'uk' etc.

Rybar

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 »
I've begun editing this version of this tutorial to match the current version of Flixel; so far only parts 1-3 have been posted by SeiferTim; If he doesn't mind, I'll start moving/editing the remaining parts as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 by Rybar »

Austin East

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Sat, Dec 12, 2009 »
So who wants to translate this into 1.40?  ;D

BullitSpeed

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #143 on: Sat, Dec 12, 2009 »
I've begun editing this version of this tutorial to match the current version of Flixel; so far only parts 1-3 have been posted by SeiferTim; If he doesn't mind, I'll start moving/editing the remaining parts as well.

:: thumbs up ::

SeiferTim

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Tim's World
« Reply #144 on: Sat, Dec 12, 2009 »
I'm in the middle of several projects right now (3 of them Flixel games :D) but my goal is to finish converting this tutorial over to the wiki while making the necessary changes to get it back up to date with v1.41.

Anyone who wants to work on that in meantime, be my guest.

Austin East

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Sun, Dec 13, 2009 »
I'm in the middle of several projects right now (3 of them Flixel games :D) but my goal is to finish converting this tutorial over to the wiki while making the necessary changes to get it back up to date with v1.41.

Anyone who wants to work on that in meantime, be my guest.

Take your time. I should be studying for midterms anyways. But I was actually looking at mode's updated code to see some of the differences and I got myself near starting the playstate. From there I couldn't figure some part out :P
« Last Edit: Sun, Dec 13, 2009 by Austin East »

Haledire

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Sun, Dec 13, 2009 »
Heh, seems I need to start breaking apart the pages of the tutorial on the wiki.  I got to adding the stars to the player section and the text began to get cut off on the straight transfer version.

I still haven't done all the research in the current code to make the updates.  I need to look at Mode to get an idea as to how to start fixing things.  If everything's stayed consistent with the recent updates, everything regarding FlxArray has changed (since I think it was removed and replaced with flash's default Array class).  Tilemaps have undergone another new change, so I have to figure if it's effected anything beyond the fix I had read of during the 1.37 phase.

And I'm still trying to conceptualize the physics I need to deal with for my own Flixel project...

murkinesis

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 »
No... the idea is that you could follow through the tutorial and build the source yourself. At the end of each section, the complete source for any modified files should be there that you could copy/paste if you want...

This is wrong. In section VII (page three) there are changes to playstate.as and enemy.as, and the complete source for modified files is NOT there for me to copy/paste. Following Seifer's instructions, I get an enemy that no longer moves, jumps, or turns to face the player, effectively breaking the enemy. Maybe you could post the source code?

SeiferTim

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Tim's World
« Reply #148 on: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 »
No... the idea is that you could follow through the tutorial and build the source yourself. At the end of each section, the complete source for any modified files should be there that you could copy/paste if you want...

As of Flixel release v1.40, and probably earlier, this tutorial is completely broken.
Efforts are underway to update for the latest version of Flixel, but it's nowhere near ready yet...

This is wrong. In section VII (page three) there are changes to playstate.as and enemy.as, and the complete source for modified files is NOT there for me to copy/paste. Following Seifer's instructions, I get an enemy that no longer moves, jumps, or turns to face the player, effectively breaking the enemy. Maybe you could post the source code?

murkinesis

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 »
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm using flixel 1.25.

But my point is that you said the source code for changed files would be available at the end of each section, and that's not true. For people working with flixel 1.25, there's no source code for the modified files in section 7 (or section 8..). Can you post them? Or the complete source code?

SeiferTim

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Tim's World
« Reply #150 on: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 »
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm using flixel 1.25.

But my point is that you said the source code for changed files would be available at the end of each section, and that's not true. For people working with flixel 1.25, there's no source code for the modified files in section 7 (or section 8..). Can you post them? Or the complete source code?

No.

BullitSpeed

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #151 on: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 »
The tutorials do work.  I went through them in November with Flixel v1.25.  I think I had to read a few of the thread comments to find minor fixes, but they were completely minor.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

murkinesis

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 »
That's unfortunate, Seifer. Many people are coming to this forum recently because they have heard about how powerful Flixel is and are drawn to the beginner tutorials. There are two very prominent ones, and yours is one of them.
If you're unwilling to use standard practice in programming tutorials, ie posting your code, you're turning away an unforseen crowd of people who will become frustrated when their code breaks and they have no reference. Your stubborn nature harms not only the new programmers who find this tutorial, but the Flixel community itself. Please be mature, and post your code so that those of us who are new to Flixel and/or programming can understand what we're doing.

BullitSpeed

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #153 on: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 »
That's unfortunate, Seifer. Many people are coming to this forum recently because they have heard about how powerful Flixel is and are drawn to the beginner tutorials. There are two very prominent ones, and yours is one of them.
If you're unwilling to use standard practice in programming tutorials, ie posting your code, you're turning away an unforseen crowd of people who will become frustrated when their code breaks and they have no reference. Your stubborn nature harms not only the new programmers who find this tutorial, but the Flixel community itself. Please be mature, and post your code so that those of us who are new to Flixel and/or programming can understand what we're doing.

I'm not too thrilled with how you're demanding things of someone who donated his own time to write a thorough tutorial.  Additionally, it might be the fact that in order to really learn from these tutorials, you need to go through them and figure it out on your own.  They may not be perfect, but they are very good and helpful as-is.  If you're using Flixel v1.25, you should be able to successfully use these tutorials.

SeiferTim

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Tim's World
« Reply #154 on: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 »

1: I'm short on time as it is - between work, a multitude of projects, the holidays, and family stuff, I haven't had nearly as much time to devote towards the Flixel community as a whole as I would like to. If it was up to me, a new, working, updated version of this tutorial would already be finished and up on the Wiki, but that's just not the case.

2: Adam has been working like a madman this past week making wide-sweeping changes to the Flixel source which not only make things better, but completely break the old stuff, and give coders many, many new options. It would be counter-productive to spend any time at all revisiting old versions when all but the very basic information is relevant today. Plus, until he settles down with the changes a bit, it's hard to keep up.

3: I no longer have the complete source for this tutorial, and going through the tutorial to try and piece together something would take far too much time and effort than I would be able to afford at this time. See #1, and, to repeat #3, why would I want to stay focused on the past?

4: I do not believe in posting the complete source for a tutorial project. If I wanted to give you a basic prototype to let you skim through it, pull it apart, and deconstruct it to learn from, well, you already have Mode, FlxInvaders, and other simple projects Adam has provided (and kept up-to-date) on the Wiki. Robert (darthlupi) and I took the time to explain in detail what each step-by-step process in the creation of a Flixel game looks like, and if I did not post source code for a given step, it was because I thought the explanation was clear or simple enough not to warrant it - and other people have commented with more and more information to assist even further than I was able to do the first time around. You can take the time to follow the tutorial, and read the other comments for more information, or you can look at an already-finished project for examples, but I'm not going to include the finished project here, in part because of this, as well as because of #3, which refers back to #s 2 and 1.

5: I can't really think of a good reason why you would want to still be using 1.25 if you're still learning Flixel - refer to #2. I'm still using 1.25 in a project that is still in development, but only because we made several changes to the actual code in Flixel, hacked together a few things, and are at the point where it makes no sense to try and update all our code - for all other projects that I'm working on, I'm using the latest version (1.4x) and you really should be trying to learn that version.

In conclusion: this tutorial is dead, I'm not going to ressurect it in any form that will work with version 1.25, and I will not post the complete source for this, or future versions, here, on the Wiki, or anywhere.  I'm looking forward to being able to start on a Wiki version of a 1.4x+ tutorial, which will allow anyone to add or tweak it to make it more accessible to everyone, while keeping it up to date all the time. The forum is not the ideal place for that type of thing - stuff gets mucked up with all the comments and flaming going on.