Author Topic: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!  (Read 202867 times)

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!
« on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
DAME is a new free and powerful map editor.
Get DAME version 3.1.1 here!

DAME is coded using Flixel so if it displays in DAME then you know that it's going to work in your game *. And because it is an Adobe Air app it works (hopefully) on any platform that support Air. On my website you'll find installers using Air or native installers for both Mac and Windows if you need them.

Some things that DAME can do:
  • It supports custom LUA exporters - and comes with 2 to get you started.
  • Draw directly on the tilemap and view the results immediately!
  • Tile Matrix to help block out simple tile patterns.
  • Tile brushes
  • Image Layers
  • Add links between objects to easily set up triggering.
  • Move tiles and layers around with ease.
  • Place down sprites, polygons, splines, shapes and text, all with rotation and scaling functionality.
  • Copy n paste, Undo, Snap to grid all supported.
  • Multiple layers with realtime parallax scrolling.
  • Remembers your previous settings between sessions.
  • Reload tilemap images whithin editor.
  • Add and edit sprite anims.

Click here to see more of its features including a couple of demo videos running through most of the features.

This has been my side project for a few months now in my goal of creating an editor that can help me make some really dynamic games. Please send me feedback, bugs, feature requests. I plan on doing a version 2 soon, so all feedback is welcome.

A simple sample 'game' made that was made using DAME.

Now works with BOTH flixel 2.43 and version 2.5
« Last Edit: Wed, Jan 9, 2013 by XanderXevious »

Retro-Rob

• View Profile
Re: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
Oh, wow, full on tilemap editor... what does it meaan!?!?!  :D

This looks amazing, I just watched a demo vid and am installing it now.

Wing Eraser

• Contributor
  • ★★★★★
    • View Profile
    • Wing Eraser
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
Very very impressive!! I didn't tried yet, but I watched to movies. No other editors got the features you implemented. Good job!

photonstorm

• Administrator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Photon Storm
« Reply #3 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
This looks superb, going to check it out right now!
http://www.photonstorm.com

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and I might remember, involve me and I will understand" - Confucius

bobbybaker82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
Hi, this is great! Is the background of the editor supposed to be white? In the examples the background shows up black. On my editor it shows up as white or transparent.

Thanks

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #5 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
Glad you're all liking it so far.

Is the background of the editor supposed to be white? In the examples the background shows up black. On my editor it shows up as white or transparent.

Yeah, by default it is actually white. You can change the default colour by going to the Edit menu and selecting Colors. There is an option to change it and a few other colours there. Currently the background colour is saved globally in DAME's settings and not per project. I could save it per project if you guys prefer?... It's one of the few things that didn't make the cut in the end. Let me know!

Also, there's some very basic help on the Help menu under Help Contents. It might help with a few things. I plan to make the help docs a lot better but documentation is not one of my strengths and even I was surprised how much there was to cover :D

Keep sending me any other questions.
« Last Edit: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 by XanderXevious »

bobbybaker82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
I know you said that for donations I could buy a comic, but you said you wouldn't get much of that.  If you could setup a donation thing through paypal or something I would definitely donate, this is awesome!

Vexhel

• Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
Very nice! I was just looking for an editor that would give me full control over every single sprite I put into the map. And the fact that you can customize the exporter is just amazing!
Just a little thing: I'm not satisfied with how the snap to grid works. I think the sprite should snap at the grid tile in which currently is the mouse cursor, and not at the grid tile which has its upper left corner nearest to the mouse cursor. The way it is now make it so that if your cursor is past the (horizontal/vertical) half of a tile, the sprite will snap to the adjacent tile to the right/bottom.
I'm not sure if it's a bug or an intented behaviour (and it definitely not a big issue), but since you asked some feedback, well there it is :D

bobbybaker82

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
EDIT - Found out this is because I didn't rename my layer, so it defaulted to "Layer 2" in the editor :) Easy fix!  Might want to change the default name to Layer2 though or something.

Not sure if this is something I did wrong or not, but when I tried to compile my game, I am getting errors in the Map.as file,

public var layerGroup1Layer 2:FlxTilemap;

It is putting a space after the Layer *space* 2:FlxTilemap  which is throwing a compile error :)

layerGroup1Layer 2.x = 0.000000;
         layerGroup1Layer 2.y = 0.000000;
         layerGroup1Layer 2.scrollFactor.x = 1.000000;
         layerGroup1Layer 2.scrollFactor.y = 1.000000;
         layerGroup1Layer 2.collideIndex = 1;
         layerGroup1Layer 2.drawIndex = 1;

Pretty much everywhere it was defined.
« Last Edit: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 by bobbybaker82 »

bobbybaker82

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
Is there anything special I need to do to show the box around the text? I can't seem to get it to showup in the game, or is that only for viewing in the editor?

edit - Actually I can't get any shapes to show, just tested a box. Any ideas what could cause them to not show up?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 by bobbybaker82 »

hamedn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
DAME is a new free and powerful map editor.
Get DAME version 1 here!

DAME is coded using Flixel so if it displays in DAME then you know that it's going to work in your game *. And because it is an Adobe Air app it works (hopefully) on any platform that support Air.

Some things that DAME can do:
  • It supports custom LUA exporters - and comes with 2 to get you started.
  • Draw directly on the tilemap and view the results immediately!
  • Tile Matrix to help block out simple tile patterns.
  • Move tiles and layers around with ease.
  • Place down sprites, polygons, splines, shapes and text, all with rotation and scaling functionality.
  • Copy n paste, Undo, Snap to grid all supported.
  • Multiple layers with realtime parallax scrolling.
  • Remembers your previous settings between sessions.

Click here to see more of its features including a couple of demo videos running through most of the features.

This has been my side project for a few months now in my goal of creating an editor that can help me make some really dynamic games. Please send me feedback, bugs, feature requests. I plan on doing a version 2 soon, so all feedback is welcome.

A simple sample 'game' made that was made using DAME.

* Ok, I did a few extras that flixel and even Flash don't inherently support like BMP file loading.

This looks absoluteley INSANEEEEE!!!

I will probably CERTAINLY use this for my next flixel game, if you add the following features:

-A Flixel slope class
-Something to change the rotation of objects

hamedn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
I did some more playing around, but it's really hard to understand it :(

This needs some sort of documentation

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #12 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
Here goes...
EDIT - Found out this is because I didn't rename my layer, so it defaulted to "Layer 2" in the editor :) Easy fix!  Might want to change the default name to Layer2 though or something.

Not sure if this is something I did wrong or not, but when I tried to compile my game, I am getting errors in the Map.as file,

public var layerGroup1Layer 2:FlxTilemap;

It is putting a space after the Layer *space* 2:FlxTilemap  which is throwing a compile error :)
I've updated DAME so this should be fixed now. The exporter should cope with spaces and new maps won't get spaces added by default. DAME should give an auto update prompt the next time you run. If it doesn't, just reinstall...

Is there anything special I need to do to show the box around the text? I can't seem to get it to showup in the game, or is that only for viewing in the editor?

edit - Actually I can't get any shapes to show, just tested a box. Any ideas what could cause them to not show up?

Shapes will need to be rendered by your code - you could try using Flixel's bounding box drawing code. They're there primarily for triggers and such and not as actual visible gameplay objects but if you want to make them visible it's not too difficult. If you're interested, what I actually did in the DAME editor was render a Shape to the bitmap directly. The same goes for paths. Text should render, but you'd need to put in the Font embed calls in your code. Unfortunately I couldn't come up with a good way of doing it in the exporter and it working for ever type of font.

I did some more playing around, but it's really hard to understand it :(

This needs some sort of documentation
Try clicking on DAME's main menu bar, then on Help and then Help Contents. It should open up a help page in your browser, but might not bring it in front of any other windows (a flaw in Air development, I think :( ). In the Help menu there is also a Keyboard Shortcuts link. It will tell you what the main ones are. I really do plan on writing some better documentation soon. What's there is just the basics...

-A Flixel slope class
-Something to change the rotation of objects
You can rotate! Hold down 'R' while you have a sprite or sprites selected, then drag with the left mouse button to rotate. Hold down 'A' while rotating to rotate in 45 degree increments. (Maybe I need a better keyboard shortcut for that?) Hold down Alt to scale. If you also hold 'S' you'll scale uniformly. Check out the Help menu in DAME and Keyboard Shortcuts for all of them. If you've got any good ideas about what might make better shortcuts for some of the options send them my way. I like Alt for scaling, but windows beeps at me whenever I use it :-[
Slopes, though... I won't provide a slope class. There's one here but it's old and needs porting to the latest flixel. I actually have tried porting it already. I just wasn't happy with how I went about it and want to have another go at some point... I'm struggling to come up with a good way of adapting the Tile Matrix to nicely handle slopes, though. So that may or may not come.

Just a little thing: I'm not satisfied with how the snap to grid works. I think the sprite should snap at the grid tile in which currently is the mouse cursor, and not at the grid tile which has its upper left corner nearest to the mouse cursor. The way it is now make it so that if your cursor is past the (horizontal/vertical) half of a tile, the sprite will snap to the adjacent tile to the right/bottom.
I'll try and fix that one. Yeah, the current snap to grid calculation is kind of weird and slightly unintuitive. Fix will be coming for that soon hopefully.

It's worth saying that I'm not really aiming to provide any code for your engines - Flixel is a great starting point but DAME is meant to simplify editing more than coding ;) The samples are there using only what Flixel provides as most of the techniques I use in the editor have to be optimized a lot if they were used in a real game - I had to rewrite a few things in the Flixel framework just for that.

Hopefully DAME can inspire you to start doing some really cool things and thanks for all the feedback. Keep on sending it my way!
« Last Edit: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 by XanderXevious »

hamedn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
Thanks for the reply, I will check it out in detail later:

1 more question!

I see you have a "matrix" tool. Does that do some sort of autotiling, that would for example be able to draw the caution tape this image:

http://www.flashgamelicense.com/screenshots/ss_nxuhvmhx12161.png

I mean that little yellow and black stuff around the ground....

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #14 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
I see you have a "matrix" tool. Does that do some sort of autotiling, that would for example be able to draw the caution tape this image:

http://www.flashgamelicense.com/screenshots/ss_nxuhvmhx12161.png

I mean that little yellow and black stuff around the ground....

Yeah! Exactly what it does!
The idea behind the tile matrix is it tries to match tiles you paint with the best fit tile in the matrix based on all neighbouring tiles, with options for randomness. There are still some limitations with the current system and I hope to improve upon it in the future.

Uhfgood

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 »
Is this going to remain free?

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #16 on: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 »
Is this going to remain free?
Yes! DAME will always be free to use.

dan

• View Profile
    • danwolfe.net
« Reply #17 on: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 »
Since you're keeping it free to use, any thoughts on releasing the code?

bobbybaker82

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 »
Even though it's free, I bet it was a ton of work to do, I doubt he wants to release the code and have other people take credit for his work ;)

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #19 on: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 »
Even though it's free, I bet it was a ton of work to do, I doubt he wants to release the code and have other people take credit for his work ;)
Yeah, you said it, Bobby!
DAME should ALWAYS be free. But I think making it open source undermines some of the plans I have for future versions and the integrity of DAME itself. And yeah, it was a helluva lot of work so I want my credit! Oh, and I really don't want people to see my messy code  :-[

But this is the main thing. I really want to see people using DAME and I really want to encourage people to send feedback - good and bad - as I plan to regularly update and improve upon it and can only do so with your input - so the more you use it and tell me what works/doesn't work the more updates you'll get! I draw the line at writing complex classes for your engines in general, but if you want to include a new exporter then please send it in and if it's useful I'll make sure you get the credit. If you have an idea, let me know. If it's helped you make a cool game, let me know, and if you want I'll even include a link to your game on my website. It'd be nice to get a mention in the credits for your games ;D but you don't have to.

Some thoughts and questions actually, because I'm new to this:
  • Should I add some kind of forum on my website?
  • Should I really add that 'donate' button? ;)
  • Is there a good license I can attach to it? I wanted to use GPL to 'ensure' it would always be free (even by me in case I suddenly turned evil or something!!) but not sure if I can because of using flex code and flixel code and so on and that it's not open source :-\

(There are too many smileys in this post. I'm an addict...)
« Last Edit: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 by XanderXevious »