Author Topic: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!  (Read 202675 times)

dan

• View Profile
    • danwolfe.net
Re: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!
« Reply #20 on: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 »
Even though it's free, I bet it was a ton of work to do, I doubt he wants to release the code and have other people take credit for his work ;)

I understand that. There are a lot of good reasons to keep your code to yourself, I mean this was obviously a lot of work, but there are also a lot of good reasons to share it. I'm not an open source zealot, so I won't press the issue if he doesn't want to release it. I just think there's a lot that could be learned and shared among Flixel users if it was open.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #21 on: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 »
I just think there's a lot that could be learned and shared among Flixel users if it was open.
True. I might release a Post Mortem document on it. Would that be useful?
And once things calm down a bit (in terms of bugs and so on) I'll also try and put out some useful code tips. There was a LOT of problems. First point - writing it in C or a 'normal' programming language would have been so much easier. I just wanted the benefits that Flixel has. But air/actionscript has a lot of hurdles to overcome. I think I levelled up in Google-ing skills alone!!

bobbybaker82

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 »
Hi,

"Some thoughts and questions actually, because I'm new to this:

* Should I add some kind of forum on my website?
    * Should I really add that 'donate' button? Wink
    * Is there a good license I can attach to it? I wanted to use GPL to 'ensure' it would always be free (even by me in case I suddenly turned evil or something!!) but not sure if I can because of using flex code and flixel code and so on and that it's not open source Undecided"

I think a forum for just DAME would be handy, as you could have multiple topics instead of just this long post, kind of hard to find each problem in one topic.

I would definitely donate to the project, I'm sure others would too.

No clue about licensing :) sorry.

dan

• View Profile
    • danwolfe.net
« Reply #23 on: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 »
I might release a Post Mortem document on it. Would that be useful?

Extremely, I'd love to read it!

3WG

• View Profile
    • Jeux.MU
« Reply #24 on: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 »
Nice tools

I hope you will release slope soon (please oh please :-) i'm smiley addicted too)

Just one thing missing a Paypal donation button ...
Flash games are FUN !
Jeux.MU

bobbybaker82

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 »
I don't see how he could program slopes into a map editor, that isn't really something that needs to be programmed into an editor, it needs to be directly in your game engine.

SysOp

• View Profile
    • check my kick ass half-life mod!
« Reply #26 on: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 »
This is outstanding!

The app seems to be great and intuitive enough to fill most of our mapping wishes, but what susprises me more, is the warm and cool attitude of the main developer :)

You are great dude. Hope I can see more people like you in the future =)
"Hope is not a dream, but a way of making dreams become reality"

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #27 on: Wed, Sep 8, 2010 »
Thanks SysOp!

Just being myself really :)

But it helps that the community here is really friendly. I've personally not seen any trolls yet...

Oh, and if you knew what I have planned or version 2 you'd really be excited, but that's a looong way off! I'm such a tease ;D

Loupax

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wed, Sep 8, 2010 »
I just had a Flixel-gasm... If I didn't put so much effort on making my current game in Tiled, I'd rewrite it! But looks like I found my editor for my next games... ;)
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.
--Vaarzuvius
My blog!

bobbybaker82

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wed, Sep 8, 2010 »
Getting it to work with Flixel's latest version was very simple too. Great editor all around :)

Garmichael

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wed, Sep 8, 2010 »
This is exactly what I've been looking for!! I tried other editors with features I wanted, like the matrix or even just copy and paste, but setting them up and using them in general was clunky at best.

Also, as a libertarian capitalist, i highly respect your comment "And yeah, it was a helluva lot of work so I want my credit!" :)

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #31 on: Fri, Sep 10, 2010 »
Version 1.0.2 is now available!

• Backup files generated with each save.
  • Snap to grid now more central to the cursor.
  • Handles over objects to rotate and scale. (Can still use the old method of holding Alt or R)
  • Can now also navigate around the map with the arrow keys.
  • Also added some missing info to the Keyboard shortcuts page.

It should auto update when you run DAME. Otherwise just reinstall from the website. See first post on this thread for more.

Send me feedback for editor-only improvements or bugs and it make make it into the next update...
« Last Edit: Fri, Sep 10, 2010 by XanderXevious »

OmegaStorm

• View Profile
    • OmegaStorm Productions
« Reply #32 on: Fri, Sep 10, 2010 »
Haven't checked 1.0.2 yet, but in 1.0.1, I noticed it doesn't auto associate the project files and you have to manually type .dam when saving.

TestSubject06

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Fri, Sep 10, 2010 »
yeah i just noticed that with 1.0.2

I also can't get the Complex exporter to work at all. i just get this error immediately:

TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert org.flixel::FlxTilemap@54dfeb9 to org.flixel.FlxSprite.
   at game::MapBase/addTilemap()
   at game::Level_Map0_0()
   at game::PlayState/createLevel()
   at game::PlayState/create()
   at org.flixel::FlxGame/switchState()
   at org.flixel::FlxG$/set state()
   at game::LoadState/fadeDone2()
   at org.flixel.data::FlxFade/update()
   at org.flixel::FlxGame/update()

Yet i dont see anywhere within addTilemap() that sprite is used at all. ive had this error since i downloaded it and i have absolutely no idea whats going on.
« Last Edit: Fri, Sep 10, 2010 by TestSubject06 »
Stuff.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #34 on: Fri, Sep 10, 2010 »
yeah i just noticed that with 1.0.2

I also can't get the Complex exporter to work at all. i just get this error immediately:

TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert org.flixel::FlxTilemap@54dfeb9 to org.flixel.FlxSprite.
   at game::MapBase/addTilemap()
   at game::Level_Map0_0()
   at game::PlayState/createLevel()
   at game::PlayState/create()
   at org.flixel::FlxGame/switchState()
   at org.flixel::FlxG$/set state()
   at game::LoadState/fadeDone2()
   at org.flixel.data::FlxFade/update()
   at org.flixel::FlxGame/update()

Yet i dont see anywhere within addTilemap() that sprite is used at all. ive had this error since i downloaded it and i have absolutely no idea whats going on.

I think I know what might be happening... Are you using the SimpleClaws project as the template? It's probably trying to call onSpriteAddedCallback and pass in the tilemap as a sprite, which would cause the crash. Basically, if you use this in your PlayState it will crash for flixelComplex:
Code: [Select]
protected function onSpriteAddedCallback(sprite:FlxSprite, group:FlxGroup):void

It should look like this:
protected function onObjectAddedCallback(obj:Object, layer:FlxGroup, level:BaseLevel, properties:Array):void
The SimpleClaws template is meant for use with the flixelSimple exporter and is designed for games where each project contains just the data for one level, the sprites are not rotated or scaled and there is nothing else.

The complexClaws template is the beast! It's meant for use with flixelComplex and will support multiple levels per project, custom properties, rotations, scaling and all of the stuff that's cool but comes with lots more overhead, hence the separation into two different templates.

If you use the PlayState.as file from ComplexClaws that should work...

Let me know how it goes and I'll add a readme to the templates or better yet, add some info to the exporter window itself to make that more clear.

I noticed it doesn't auto associate the project files and you have to manually type .dam when saving.
Is that one bug or two? Ie. are you talking about .dam files not loading when you double click on them as well as the saving bug?

For the saving issue that's an annoying problem with Adobe Air (groan). You can't set a file filter for save dialogs but you can for open dialogs. I don't know why... For now I'll add a fix so that it appends .dam to the filename when the project file save name has no extension.

Let me know about both of those issues and I'll patch up the version with the extra info for the exporting and the saving extension fix. I'll also try and add some better documentation as well.

*EDIT* I just noticed that the flixelComplex exporter doesn't handle scaling (probably because flixel doesn't update scaled collisions automatically). I'm going to remedy that in the next update and try and handle scaled collisions.
« Last Edit: Sat, Sep 11, 2010 by XanderXevious »

TestSubject06

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sat, Sep 11, 2010 »
Thats it! i was using a modified simple Claws playstate that supports loading a levelID as well as a bunch of other cool new stuff. but yes it was using
protected function onObjectAddedCallback(sprite:FlxSprite, layer:FlxGroup, level:BaseLevel, properties:Array):voidSo that's sweet. but you told a lie in your above post.

The complexClaws template XanderXevious is the beast!
fix'd
Stuff.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #36 on: Sat, Sep 11, 2010 »
Happy To Help, TestSubject!

Also, there's a new version 1.0.3 with some bug fixes and improvements:
  • flixelComplex exporter (aka 'The Beast') now fully supports scaling sprites with collisions in tact. ComplexClaws sample project adapted accordingly.
  • .dam automatically added to filenames when doing a save as.
  • Flixel Exporters now have text indicating which sample template to use.
  • Above text now possible because of a new text control available for all exporter settings.
  • Bug fixes.
  • Extra documentation in the help pages.

You shouldn't need to do anything in existing projects to cope with scaling. An update and a re-export should be all you need. If you called the function addSpritesToLayer in your own code (non exported code) you'll probably not need to modify the parameters, but if you do then all that was added was a scaleX and a scaleY param.
That should be the last update to the flixel exporters hopefully.

TestSubject06

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sat, Sep 11, 2010 »
Wow, a piece of the update custom-tailored to idiots like me.
:D  ...  :|  ...  D:
Stuff.

Garmichael

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sat, Sep 11, 2010 »
I've got a few requests, if you're open for taking them.

Here's what I would like to see:

Smaller Requests

- Right-Click on a Group in the tree and select "Resize all maps" to edit W/H of each map in that group.

- Right-Click on a Map in the tree and select "Clear map". Also, Right-Click on a group to select "Clear all Maps"

- A keyboard key that auto-selects the tile underneath the mouse cursor in paint mode.

- Ability to scale size of tiles in the tile Pallet for visual and selection help. Using an 8x8 tile strip makes it pretty hard to select tiles.

- Ability to reload the tileset, maybe with a keyboard shortcut or a button on the tile pallet title bar?
Bigger Requests

- A Stamp tool, where the user can create pre-set combos of tiles to place down

- Inside corner tiles for the Matrix tool... Possibly a button that says "Inside Corners" that reveals a 2x2 second grid?

- Ability to either run multiple instances of DAME or to open multiple maps and tab between them

- Ability to zoom out further than 1:1, which would help a lot in viewing a big map all at once
« Last Edit: Sat, Sep 11, 2010 by Garmichael »

mignick

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sun, Sep 12, 2010 »
Quote from: Garmichael link=topic=2333.msg14536#msg14536 [b
Bigger Requests[/b]
- A Stamp tool, where the user can create pre-set combos of tiles to place down

second!