Author Topic: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!  (Read 225049 times)

camasthecat

• Contributor
  • WOW! 400+ Posts!? Jeez! Do I have a life!?!?
    • View Profile
    • My site for thermalJS, an HTML5/Javascript engine kinda-like flixel:
Re: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!
« Reply #680 on: Tue, Feb 21, 2012 »
I have had a lot of trouble deleting paths. I can't delete the last node! :/

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #681 on: Tue, Feb 21, 2012 »
Suggestion:

Currently if you make an object in a layer, it can still be selected if another layer is selected. Maybe restricting the selectable objects based on whether the layer they belong to is currently selected helps. It can prevent accidental sprite moves.

That would help the other feature I requested that like double clicking the group would glow all the objects for that layer.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #682 on: Tue, Feb 21, 2012 »
Feature request for DAM3 (from graphic / level designer)

My friend asked if there was any easy way to clear sprite layers. I dont know Dame that well, so if there is no easy way to clear the whole map, i suppose that would be quite handy feature for Dame 3.

Save map for next level, and then hit the Clear All button -> clean start for new level with same layer structure.
Ctrl+A (Edit->Select All), Delete key.

Suggestion:

Currently if you make an object in a layer, it can still be selected if another layer is selected. Maybe restricting the selectable objects based on whether the layer they belong to is currently selected helps. It can prevent accidental sprite moves.

That would help the other feature I requested that like double clicking the group would glow all the objects for that layer.
Do you have Edit->Select From Current Only unchecked? It seems like you do... Maybe you unticked it by mistake?

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #683 on: Tue, Feb 21, 2012 »
Do you have Edit->Select From Current Only unchecked? It seems like you do... Maybe you unticked it by mistake?

I had no idea this existed there, thanks!

1- why when we press V for selecting, pressing it again won't toggle it to disable?

2- How parallex scrolling code generated by DAME works? Is it reliable? What do I have to do in order to have it in the game?

Chelnok

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: Wed, Feb 22, 2012 »
Ctrl+A (Edit->Select All), Delete key.

That wasnt so hard lol Next time he asks something, i'll take a look.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #685 on: Thu, Feb 23, 2012 »
I had no idea this existed there, thanks!

1- why when we press V for selecting, pressing it again won't toggle it to disable?

2- How parallex scrolling code generated by DAME works? Is it reliable? What do I have to do in order to have it in the game?
1. I'll look into that.
2. I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean the code in the exporter, because all that does is place sprites and tilemaps down at positions with scroll factors. DAME should be reliable - it's rendered using Flixel. Just run the exporter to have it in the game. :s

SnakeArsenic

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: Thu, Feb 23, 2012 »
Any chance of adding an option to center the Game Region Overlay? I work in the center and it seems strange to have a margin on only two sides.
« Last Edit: Thu, Feb 23, 2012 by SnakeArsenic »

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #687 on: Fri, Feb 24, 2012 »
Thanks for the reply. My game designer started working with it and loves it! Thanks.

One thing. Since we are working on two computers and I'm developing and adding feature to DAME and he is using the editor and making levels in it, if he makes new levels in game and wants to get the new .dam file with new sprites and stuff from me, his current .dam file with his levels will be gone.

So is there any way to save or transfer levels between two .dam files?

p.s. DAME is using 50% CPU on my other machine, which is XP SP3. I Update to lates 2.1.4 with no luck. What do you reckon about it?

Once again, thank you so much for this superb piece of program.

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #688 on: Sat, Feb 25, 2012 »
I tried the import option with different options but couldn't get it to work.

---------

It may be me by TAB seems a good keyboard shortuct to switch between Layers and Sprites tabs.

----------

I donno if it has any significance but you can't copy and text of Layer properties.
« Last Edit: Sun, Feb 26, 2012 by test84 »

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #689 on: Sun, Feb 26, 2012 »
Yes, there are issues with CPU usage. It's something I've still not been able to fix.

The game region overlay will be able to be centered in DAME 3.

Did you try right clicking on the layer properties text and selecting Copy?

I'm not sure how the import is not working. I just tried it on my side and it's working fine, though I noticed that it will sometimes fail to load images because it gets confused about the paths. Did you get any error messages?

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #690 on: Sun, Feb 26, 2012 »
I'm not sure how the import is not working. I just tried it on my side and it's working fine, though I noticed that it will sometimes fail to load images because it gets confused about the paths. Did you get any error messages?

Maybe the reason is it's from two different computers with different paths. I don't want to import anything but the levels that designer makes. I tried to even Append them to prevent any checks and bugs but that didn't work either. I tried both radio buttons on Import window, same path or specific path, none of them worked.

I don't remember the error message since I replaced the new file and added my sprites there manually but it was like a lot of small error windows. probably something about paths.

--

Is there any way to find type of a sprite after you put it on the screen?

---

It would be nice if you could integrage Pickle into DAME, so we could edit the sprites from DAME directly. Like double clicking on animation, would open a window with Pickle inside it.
« Last Edit: Wed, Feb 29, 2012 by test84 »

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #691 on: Thu, Mar 1, 2012 »
A very bad bug, on one of machines, suddenly one of tile layers's widht and height are set to 1 and if I increase them, I can't set them to any value higher than that. this ruined all my levels.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #692 on: Fri, Mar 2, 2012 »
A very bad bug, on one of machines, suddenly one of tile layers's widht and height are set to 1 and if I increase them, I can't set them to any value higher than that. this ruined all my levels.
Hmmm... bizarre... Do you have any repro steps? Did Undo fix it? Don't forget that DAME makes backup files! It's possible that it's something that might have been fixed in DAME 3 but I've not encountered that myself.

Is there any way to find type of a sprite after you put it on the screen?
Yes, you an use the Object Finder. Right click on the sprites layer on the layer tab to find the option. I really need to make a Tools Menu shortcut for this in DAME 3, I think, as it's a bit hidden.

It would be nice if you could integrage Pickle into DAME, so we could edit the sprites from DAME directly. Like double clicking on animation, would open a window with Pickle inside it.
I've no idea what Pickle is but there is full sprite and sprite anim editing in DAME 3!

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #693 on: Fri, Mar 2, 2012 »
1- I uninstall and reinstalled DAME, didn't work, I unistalled AIR and DAME and reinstalled them again, it worked.

2- Wow, sprite editor in DAME would be awesome but with DAME always acting with delay, I hope it would work great.
Check out Pickle for sure: http://www.pickleeditor.com/

3- Object finder is nice but I would like to select a sprite and know what type it is rather than the other way around.

4- How I can have animated tiles? I remember you said something in Complex Claws demo but I can't find how.

5- I've worked almost non stop with DAME for past few days (and will do for next 18 days) so I have alot of features that I want:

A- Tile Matrix has bug that when I drag a tile into it, like 80% of times, it either won't place a tile into matrix's cell or puts a wrong tile into it. ( I suspect times that I see it won't put a tile there, it is actually put a wrong tile but it's empty and I believe it didn't do anything).

B- Again about Tile Matrix. Please remove that window that says " Do You want to keep this matrix?", it's very annoying. If I want to save, I will. What makes it more annoying is that it's not like normal windows message window that we can press tab and go to No and press space to select. It greatly reduces my process speed that when I want to put a single tile, I have to close Tile Matrix, press no to that message window, everytime.

C- Again about Tile Matrix. When I draw with a tile and then change it's tiles, please don't change anything that is already drawn. If I want I can store the matrix and draw with it again. Now if I want to draw with several combinations of matrix but do not need to store them, I can't just make a matrix, draw with it, change it a little and draw again because the new matrix will replace what was drawn with the previous one.

D- It would be nice if I could change background of tiles in Tiles menu. (the window that we select tiles from and put on the screen). (since lots of tiles are in black and white and transparent, it's very hard to see which is which)

E- Please make TAB to switch between Layer and Sprites tab.

F- Wish we could chain DAME with FlashDevelop so after each export, it would fire up FlashDevelop and call it's Compile and Run, instead of the message window that says export was OK. ( and doesn't remember I don't want to see it since it doesn't store that settings in the settings)

G- Can you make it act faster? It's acts with a lot of delay, like when I move my cursor over tiles, it takes 2-3 seconds to hover into the new tile.

That's what I remember for now but my most important requests are Tile Matrix ones because they are very handy, thanks to you.

I'll post back with more feedback.

Best regards,
test84.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #694 on: Sat, Mar 3, 2012 »
1- Hmmm... it could have been something in the settings file. If it happens again then make a backup of your DAME settings file and delete it and if that fixes it then send me the settings file.

2- I hope so too :)

3- Right now you can right click on a sprite to edit it (and thereby find out what it is). In DAME 3 the status bar will display the name of the current selected sprite.

4- There is nothing in any of the current samples to demo this. I'm hoping to do a sample for DAME 3 that shows off every recent feature. For now, you would need to write your own exporter, and indeed flixel doesn't support them either so you would need to write code for that. Look in the exporter help docs under CreateTileDataText

A- I've seen this occasionally, though usually only the first time I use the matrix. I'll try to track it down.

B- I've added an option to remember your answer for this in DAME 3.

C- Maybe in DAME 4....

D- Done in DAME 3

E- This is difficult, because with DAME 2 and the ability to rearrange the layout as much as you like, there is no implicit state of having the layer and sprite panes under tabs. It works like Visual Studio or Flash Develop docked panes now. I'll see what I can do, but the best way would be to have a shortcut for each that would try to promote them to the top pane if they're tabbed.

F- I'd have to investigate if this is possible with Air. Ideally, it would be best to allow custom command lines to run on success, maybe tied into the lua script...

G- I'd need an example project to observe this on in order to fix this.

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #695 on: Sat, Mar 3, 2012 »
Thanks for the answers.

camasthecat

• Contributor
  • WOW! 400+ Posts!? Jeez! Do I have a life!?!?
    • View Profile
    • My site for thermalJS, an HTML5/Javascript engine kinda-like flixel:
« Reply #696 on: Sat, Mar 3, 2012 »
One nice thing would be to have individual projects, that have the same settings, files, and exporting files for each .dam file.

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #697 on: Sun, Mar 4, 2012 »
I found the steps about CTRL+D bug: If you select some tiles in a tile layer and go to a sprite layer, you can't de select them and you have to get back to that tile layer to deselect.

Coman

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: Tue, Mar 6, 2012 »
 ;)
Hi, I'm new to flixel
and Sorry that I'm not good at English.
(T T , in fact I am typing in the dictionary help, I hope you can understand the meaning of my expression)

I have one question about sprite layer:
How to export data of sprite layer?
I export map layer's data to .csv file and it works well but I don't know how to deal with sprite layer.

I earnestly studied your sample(SimpleClaws and ComplexClaws)
I found that you added all coins in level.as manually. So many lines code.
Is there a way to automatically add all coins according to what I set in the Dame?

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #699 on: Tue, Mar 6, 2012 »
About Sprite Editor and Tile editor in DAME3: If you would add the ability to paste clipboard data that comes from Photoshop and keep it's transparency while pasting it.