Author Topic: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!  (Read 218904 times)

mol

• View Profile
Re: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!
« Reply #720 on: Sun, Apr 22, 2012 »
just a request

could you add a function to a group to move all items in it by a specific amount?

to be more specific lets say i have a group with 6 sprite_blocks in different sprite layers, one tilemap in a map layer and these being their coordinates

block1 x=0   y=0
block2 x=5   y=0
block3 x=10  y=0

block4 x=0    y=5
block5 x=5    y=5
block6 x=10  y=5

tilemap x=20 y=20

and lets say i want to move them 5 units in x and 5 units in y
giving the new coordinates:

block1 x=5   y=5
block2 x=10   y=5
block3 x=15  y=5

block4 x=5    y=10
block5 x=10    y=10
block6 x=15  y=10

tilemap x=25 y=25

could you do this?

thanks!

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #721 on: Sun, Apr 22, 2012 »
In DAME 3 there will be a Move Group tool that lets you drag the group to move everything within it around.

Jeff

• View Profile
    • Entertainment Evolution
« Reply #722 on: Tue, Apr 24, 2012 »
So far I've been only using DAME for creating the tilemap for a test level, in which I've been testing the functionality of some of the core sprite objects for my game. Now I'm trying to proceed to actually using DAME for inserting sprites and putting in multiple levels. The software is a huge help in designing the levels, but I'm wondering a couple of things:

• So basically these "groups" are meant to be used as levels, right? It might be that I'm just not yet used enough to using this, but at this point I find it a bit weird, that userinterfacewise these seem more like layer groups, since you're after all able to see all the groups on top of each other. Maybe this is a generalization that doesn't apply to all projects, but isn't it usually so, that you'll use the same layer types for each level? So wouldn't it be easier to browse through your levels via a different method (eg. tabs or a pulldown menu in the tool bar), and possibly keep the same layers for each of them? Then you could for example put sprites invisible and browse through the levels to check how they look without sprites. This can't be done easily now, or can it? And on the other hand, what's it good for to see the different levels on top of each other?
  • Do you usually do it like that that you have a class file for each level, like when using the flixelComplex exporter? That feels a bit heavy/redundant. I first thought that an XML file would be the best way to store each level. Then you could just read that single file for both all the tilemaps and the sprites and perhaps get full control on what's going on in an easier fashion. I was actually a bit surprised that XML isn't the common practice here. However, if I've understood correctly, a better XML exporter is coming with DAME3? Or is a custom fully featured exporter for XML possibly available already?
Please give me feedback for my latest game in progress:
Blog: Entertainment Evolution

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #723 on: Tue, Apr 24, 2012 »
There are a few visibility options. You can turn on onion skinning so it only shows the current layer or the current group, and control the opacity of other layers and groups.
There are probably many different ways of visualising and selecting layers.
You can actually set it up so that a file is a level or a layer is a level. It's entirely up to you how you do it as the whole thing is pretty generic and configurable with custom exporters. I prefer the Groups as level method, but I've seen others do it different ways.
The reason the flixelComplex exporter was done this way was because it was the method most compatible with the method flixel users were working before DAME was released and because it's the most simple for new users to understand.
DAME 3, when released (not in the current beta), will come with a very good(I hope) XML exporter and a sample which supports dynamic loading of assets too. It will be able to support the same kind of maps that flixelComplex can but with a few new features. Actually, I build the XML exporter for a game I'm working on where I wanted to remove the need to install FlashDevelop from the pipeline.

Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: Wed, Apr 25, 2012 »
There are a few visibility options. You can turn on onion skinning so it only shows the current layer or the current group, and control the opacity of other layers and groups.
There are probably many different ways of visualising and selecting layers.

Yes, you can set the other levels you're not working on as invisible, so it's possible to work on just one level at a time. I just thought that it might be more practical, if layers and levels could be two entirely different things. In other words, there would be a two-dimensional array of sorts: on one axis you have the layers, and on the other axis the levels. Then:
  • You wouldn't need to define the layers for each of the levels separately. Of course this isn't a big thing per se, since you can anyway copy the groups, but I think it would still make it a little bit faster.
  • Even with the same layers for each level, you could still set their properties separately for each level at will (eg. width and height in tiles). But if a layer would also be shared between different levels one could possibly set properties that span through all the levels. I believe this would be particularly useful when setting tile properties. At least I would think that when creating multilevel games, one would usually like to keep the properties the same between levels.
  • You could check through the levels more easily, especially if you only want to see just one single layer of them (eg. enemy sprites, basic tilemap, background tiles etc.).
  • I currently don't see many practical applications for this, but if there would be a need for very different layer sets, one possibility could be eg. to define some different templates for these, and when browsing through the levels, it would show just the layers defined as visible for that template.
  • Unless I'm missing something, the only thing you would lose would be the ability to see many levels on top of each other, but I don't see much use for that.

I need to emphasize that this is an excellent software which I very much appreciate. :) I'm just trying to get used to it and also to learn if there is a specific reason for this kind of an approach that I just haven't realized - or of course if what I'm trying to describe here actually has some serious shortcomings or if it would be a significantly more difficult thing to implement.

By the way, related to the first point, what does "duplicate" do for groups? Duplicate empty does what it would imply, but when I click "duplicate" on a group it doesn't seem to do anything.

The reason the flixelComplex exporter was done this way was because it was the method most compatible with the method flixel users were working before DAME was released and because it's the most simple for new users to understand.

Okay. The first point clarifies things, but I'm not sure about the latter though. I'm a new user, and I think I would adopt the XML approach more quickly. But we'll see about that.

DAME 3, when released (not in the current beta), will come with a very good(I hope) XML exporter and a sample which supports dynamic loading of assets too. It will be able to support the same kind of maps that flixelComplex can but with a few new features. Actually, I build the XML exporter for a game I'm working on where I wanted to remove the need to install FlashDevelop from the pipeline.
Looking forward to that. :)

trq

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: Wed, Apr 25, 2012 »
I don't know if it was done berfore, but I'm gonna share my advanced XML+CSV exporter.
It's basicly old good xmlExample exporter with following improvements:
  • Tilemaps are CSV strings embedded in XML with name, scroll factor and width\height params
  • Objects has Classname, x\y, angle, scaling, flipping and all user defined properties
Here's example of output:
« Last Edit: Wed, Apr 25, 2012 by trq »

Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: Thu, Apr 26, 2012 »
I don't know if it was done berfore, but I'm gonna share my advanced XML+CSV exporter.
It's basicly old good xmlExample exporter with following improvements:
  • Tilemaps are CSV strings embedded in XML with name, scroll factor and width\height params
  • Objects has Classname, x\y, angle, scaling, flipping and all user defined properties
Here's example of output:

Thanks for sharing. Looks good! With the tilemaps embedded as CSV strings, this is about exactly what I had in mind. It's good to have alternatives. I think I'll either start with this one or go directly for the DAME 3 exporter. I will probably try this out during the upcoming weekend.

Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: Thu, Apr 26, 2012 »
Thanks for sharing. Looks good! With the tilemaps embedded as CSV strings, this is about exactly what I had in mind. It's good to have alternatives. I think I'll either start with this one or go directly for the DAME 3 exporter. I will probably try this out during the upcoming weekend.

I couldn't wait and had a quick try with that XML exporter now already. Apparently it exports all the groups in the same XML. Well, that's quite okay, I think. However, this does have one quite notable shortcoming: it doesn't distinguish between the sprites that come from different groups, which is problematic. But changing this probably doesn't require many changes to the .lua file. Perhaps I'll have a look at that on saturday or sunday.

In any case, the new xmlExporter for the new version of DAME creates one XML for each group, so that should work very nicely for sprites as well! Tile properties also get exported, so this gives a good basis to work on.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #728 on: Sat, May 12, 2012 »
Hey folks!

DAME 3 is finally out so get it from here:
http://dambots.com/dame-editor

The feature list is pretty huge. The biggest changes are these:

The UI has been slightly overhauled and the silver theme is now the default.

You can have project specific exporters and paths in exporters can be relative, allowing for easy migration of projects between multiple users. An advanced xml exporter has been included. A sample project using this, and showcasing many other features will be provided soon.

There is now a feature for adding and editing animations for sprites, and the drawing tool has been improved. It’s now possible to draw shapes on tiles and to spawn new tiles as you’re drawing - a feature that works just as easily with isometric tiles!

Path events have been added allowing you to add custom actions or info at given points along a path.

Finally, you can now zoom out much further than before and provide additionally “screen” sized grid lines, making it much easier to edit large maps than before.

For the full list check the new blog:
http://charlesgoatley.tumblr.com/post/22934529043/dame-3-released
« Last Edit: Tue, May 15, 2012 by XanderXevious »

camasthecat

• Contributor
  • WOW! 400+ Posts!? Jeez! Do I have a life!?!?
    • View Profile
    • My site for thermalJS, an HTML5/Javascript engine kinda-like flixel:
« Reply #729 on: Mon, May 14, 2012 »
Yes! Thank you!!

Oh, and shouldn't the links be links, not code?

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #730 on: Tue, May 15, 2012 »
Yes! Thank you!!

Oh, and shouldn't the links be links, not code?
Haha... Well spotted!

Also, I've uploaded version 3.0.1 with a couple of small fixes and one new feature - the ability to add/remove padding for every tile.

Chelnok

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: Sat, May 26, 2012 »
DAME3 looks and feels great. Nice work!

Is it possible to use dame when:

Note that the tiles in the tilemap are 1-based indexed; an index of 0 means no tile.
http://axgl.org/docs/org/axgl/tilemap/AxTilemap.html

So there is no empty first tile in tilesheet.. and first tile should be 1 not 0. I guess i could fix that one with exporter, but editing is still quite messy without empty first tile.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #732 on: Sun, May 27, 2012 »
DAME3 looks and feels great. Nice work!

Is it possible to use dame when:
http://axgl.org/docs/org/axgl/tilemap/AxTilemap.html

So there is no empty first tile in tilesheet.. and first tile should be 1 not 0. I guess i could fix that one with exporter, but editing is still quite messy without empty first tile.

I'm not sure I follow... In the tilemap properties you can specify the draw index to be 0 instead of 1, then the first tile will be drawn.

Chelnok

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: Sun, May 27, 2012 »
Yes i did that. But tilemaplayer was filled with first tile and that is what i ment messy editing :) After (csv) export i had to fix all data (plus one for every number greater that zero). That what i ment i could fix it with exporter. I dunno.. i guess i have done something very wrong either in Dame or Axel ..or both.

I need to try again with clean project. Thanks for reply.

AAorris

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: Wed, May 30, 2012 »
Hi there. I've been looking at the built-in exporters for simple and complex claws, but I haven't been able to find the source projects on my Dame3 installation. Are they hosted somewhere I can't find them, or should they have been installed already? When I try to open them listed in the recent files, I get a "Failed to load file: Error #2032".

I must be missing something!

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #735 on: Fri, Jun 1, 2012 »
Hi !

Great job on releasing v3 :)

Some feedback:

- Having a "Redo" option, in contrast to Undo, would be nice.

- Wish there was a "Save, export and run" button there that we could configure that would save the project, export it with default values and compile and run the game. I know it can be daunting but I think will turn out well.

- Wish the tiles with properies would appear like in blue, as they do in the tile property, in the game scene or when you press CTRL+H to see collidable tiles.

- I know it's intentional or not but when you remove or add a tile to a tile sheet (GREAT feature BTW!) the collide index doesn't change. I think it should in most, if not all, cases.

- Wish we could see some small enhancement we asked prior to V3, like when you select a sprite from sprites tab, it would deselect the Move mode, I listed them all in previous pages and you were OK with them and promised them for V3.

DAME is a great tool and my would be impossible without it.

For the next game I'm planning to use triggers and stuff, so I wish there were some improvements there as well as last time I checked it was very strange and couldn't figure it out.

Is it possible to have the feature to have FlxGroups that consist of different Flxsprites as sprites? It is handy in complex situations like my game where player's sprite is diffrent from it's weapons so the better approach was to have FlxGroup but I had to resort to manually overloading Draw and draw weapon manually as I could't have FlxGroup as sprite.

I try to post my wish list again in a couple of days, hopefully it can help us evne more in future games.
« Last Edit: Fri, Jun 1, 2012 by test84 »
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #736 on: Sat, Jun 2, 2012 »
More wishlist:
- When Move is selected and you click on a tile, it should be clear that I want to put that tile on, so please turn off the move mode.

- Wish we could have [better] support for animated tiles as I wanted but couldn't get it to work previously.

- I asked this previously and you said it's apprently not possible but switching between Sprites and Layers tab should be nice. I know you try to make DAME versatile but I think being pragmatic about it helps, like see how people are actually using DAME after 3 versions and try to adapt with them a tad.
« Last Edit: Sat, Jun 2, 2012 by test84 »
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #737 on: Sun, Jun 3, 2012 »
Hi there. I've been looking at the built-in exporters for simple and complex claws, but I haven't been able to find the source projects on my Dame3 installation. Are they hosted somewhere I can't find them, or should they have been installed already? When I try to open them listed in the recent files, I get a "Failed to load file: Error #2032".
Hi,
I moved the samples to a separate download file now as they were starting to get big. You can find them on this page: http://www.dambots.com/dame-samples

Hi !

Great job on releasing v3 :)

Some feedback:

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Yeah, there were a couple of things that didn't make the cut in the end. I'm taking a small break from DAME for a while, unless any major bugs come up, but I'll try and get it open sourced real soon. I'm still looking for contributors who can make it even better... I will do that select sprite, deselect move feature next, though :)

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #738 on: Sun, Jun 10, 2012 »
DAME 3.0.3 is released now.

• Fixed bug with shared tile properties going out of sync.
  • Added ability to create an enumerated custom filter type based on sprite names.
  • Can now hide sprite class properties from instances and not export them if desired.
  • Fixed problem with centered guide layer not being drawn correctly in some cases.
  • Optimized grid rendering.
  • Changing the current sprite entry while in selection mode now switches back to paint mode.

xyroclast

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: Tue, Jul 3, 2012 »
I've been anticipating this release for a long time! Really glad to see that it's arrived!
Downloaded, and I'll be checking it out today!