Author Topic: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!  (Read 219461 times)

choifish

• View Profile
Re: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!
« Reply #460 on: Fri, Jun 3, 2011 »
About that third one, couldn't you just insert a blank tile before your first one and set the collide index to 0? You don't even have to touch the tilesheet file because you can do it in DAME without modifying the actual file.

Also, I believe the plural is indices.  ;)

Venks

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: Sat, Jun 4, 2011 »
Hey. Anyone else have a problem of objects you dynamically create with DAME(like coins, platforms, etc) going through the update() function twice in one game loop?

I'm sure it's an easy fix I just can't figure out where in baselevel.as it calls for my object to update @.@

choifish

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: Sat, Jun 4, 2011 »
In your objectAddedCallback (or something like that), are you adding any of your sprites to another group (like coins to coinGroup)? If you are, then you should know that these groups are for reference only (for collision checks and stuff). If you actually add those groups, anything in there will be rendered and updated twice because the sprites you added in those groups were already added for you.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #463 on: Sat, Jun 4, 2011 »
Spotted a bug, addTilemap() in BaseLevel switches around the collide index and draw index when calling loadMap().
I'll fix that in the next update.
Some feature requests since I seen you didn't have any last I checked:

Ability to create a line of tilemaps. (for walls and floors)

Ability to export as png.

Ability to have negative collide indexes. (for scenery and backgrounds for those of us who like to export txt files for tilemaps and for foreground scenery usage)
  • I'm not keen on the negative collide indices. Firstly, in Flixel collideIndex is a uint, so -1 would be a bit of a conflict. Secondly, I believe that there are other cleaner ways to do this as toast suggested.
  • Export as png is still on the cards, but it's a big feature to do! I'd like to implement it soon as it would be good for adding mini-maps, etc...
  • You can already draw vertical and horizontal lines. Just hold down X when you paint to do a horizontal one, and hold down Y when you paint to do a vertical one. Alternatively, using the Tile Matrix is another way to do them.

xhunterko

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: Sat, Jun 4, 2011 »
About that third one, couldn't you just insert a blank tile before your first one and set the collide index to 0? You don't even have to touch the tilesheet file because you can do it in DAME without modifying the actual file.

Actually, that's what I'm doing. A blank tile with a collide set to 0. And the player still acts as if it's trapped in a tile. *shrugs*

Export as png is still on the cards, but it's a big feature to do! I'd like to implement it soon as it would be good for adding mini-maps, etc...

Good to hear!

You can already draw vertical and horizontal lines. Just hold down X when you paint to do a horizontal one, and hold down Y when you paint to do a vertical one. Alternatively, using the Tile Matrix is another way to do them.

I must've missed that in the documentation cause I didn't know that! Also, what I'm trying to say is, you know how you draw a line in a paint program? That's what I'm trying to say I think. In mappy, you just clicked on a tile, then move your mouse to the tile you want the line to end at, and then hit L, and a line of tiles is automatically drawn.

As for getting the numbers to read as negative, what I'm doing now is either having 0-1 at it works fine.

Thanks for replying!

EDIT: Do I really have to download an external exe and then install that to get every new update?
Now on twitter: http://twitter.com/xhunterko I made a game that's in alpha you can buy here: http://xhunterko.itch.io/wave-miner-alpha

choifish

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: Sat, Jun 4, 2011 »
Actually, that's what I'm doing. A blank tile with a collide set to 0. And the player still acts as if it's trapped in a tile. *shrugs*

This is a bug, I reported it a few posts ago. It's easy fix by yourself, so worry no more!

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #466 on: Sat, Jun 4, 2011 »
EDIT: Do I really have to download an external exe and then install that to get every new update?
Hmmmm.... it should just auto-update when a new version is available unless you turned off auto updates. Or click on the Help menu and choose to update. That only works if the .Air method of installing works for you, though. If you can't install apps from a .Air file then I imagine your only option is to install from an exe.

Venks

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: Sun, Jun 5, 2011 »
In your objectAddedCallback (or something like that), are you adding any of your sprites to another group (like coins to coinGroup)? If you are, then you should know that these groups are for reference only (for collision checks and stuff). If you actually add those groups, anything in there will be rendered and updated twice because the sprites you added in those groups were already added for you.

Yeah that's exactly my problem. ^^; But if I don't add it to the group then I can't really control my object. Any suggestions?

choifish

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: Sun, Jun 5, 2011 »
Add the objects to the groups, just don't add the groups themselves after creating them. You'll be able to use the groups as normal, but nothing in there will be updated and rendered again.

Venks

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: Sun, Jun 5, 2011 »
Awesome. That fixed it. Thank you very much.

Haighstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: Tue, Jun 7, 2011 »
I think you should change how the saving works in relation to external assets. I was just playing about to see what's what and in the course of using the "Draw on Tiles" I managed to ruin a spritesheet I made, because DAME wrote over it without me realising (and I have no backup of it).

I only saved the project and exported it to see the format of the export. I thought DAME would either export the drawing actions undertaken in some kind of XML file, or at least save a separate copy of the spritesheet i'd edited.

You should have a specific warning that exporting/saving will write over the assets you have imported "Do you wish to overwrite X.png?"

Thanks
Haighstrom
« Last Edit: Tue, Jun 7, 2011 by Haighstrom »

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #471 on: Tue, Jun 7, 2011 »
DAME 2.0.2 released:

• Added documentation on isometric tilemaps to Help.
  • Removed built in help viewer due to page clipping - reverted back to opening in external browser.
  • Fixed bug with onion skin when bitmaps had no alpha.
  • Warning and backup files made when saving after tileset images have changed.

Hendrik

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: Thu, Jun 9, 2011 »
Anyone know of any good tutorials for this? Or at least how to export your map and get it working in Flixel?
I just can't seem to get my in DAME designed map to work. I know there's the example projects, but I find them kinda vague tbh.

[edit]It seems I didn't search well enough and hadn't see the tutorial page of the dambots site. http://damehelp.dambots.com/index.php/Tutorials[/edit]
« Last Edit: Thu, Jun 9, 2011 by Hendrik »

Titch

• Contributor
  • Thing with the guy in the place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: Tue, Jun 14, 2011 »
Loving Dame 2 stuff. Especially the detchable panels. Very helpfull.

Two features I would still really love to see

1. One button export, I tweak my levels -alot- and it's kind of a pain to have to keep opening that export menu. A quick button or keyboard shortcut would be awesome.

2. A way to revert a fixed tilemap back to a matrix, or swap baked tilemaps using matrices (So I have an area of the level done using a grass tile matrix and I want to swap it for a rock one).
Free cake whippings every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

jcsopko

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: Fri, Jun 17, 2011 »
I've searched around and haven't found anyone discussing DAME level loading with Box2D/Flixel so I'm diving into it myself. I haven't read through much of the documentation so I'll probably start there and then just wade through the exported code opposed to the Lua exporter code because I'm unfamiliar with Lua. Anyone have any suggestions, resources, interest? I'll probably report back once I get it working.

agrajag

• View Profile
    • spikepadley.com
« Reply #475 on: Mon, Jun 20, 2011 »
I've looked at a few, and can tell DAME is undoubtedly the best tilemap editor/creator out there. I love it, my one issue with it is all the orange used in the interface. I know it doesn't actually effect it in any way, but really, why do you need all of that vile orange  smeared over a great application? It feels so unnecessary where a neutral gray could be used and work in most any situation.

photonstorm

• Administrator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Photon Storm
« Reply #476 on: Mon, Jun 20, 2011 »
So change the theme to the silver one ;)
http://www.photonstorm.com

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and I might remember, involve me and I will understand" - Confucius

agrajag

• View Profile
    • spikepadley.com
« Reply #477 on: Mon, Jun 20, 2011 »
Ahhh. *facepalm*
That looks so much better, thanks!

Venks

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: Sat, Jun 25, 2011 »
Question is there a way to move multiple sprites at the same time? I continually find myself placing multiple sprites a few too many y-units up. And then have to click and ctrl+t each one separately. Is there a more efficient way to do this?

photonstorm

• Administrator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Photon Storm
« Reply #479 on: Sun, Jun 26, 2011 »
Drag a box around them to multi-select them. Or click one, then ctrl-click another (pretty sure it's that)
http://www.photonstorm.com

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and I might remember, involve me and I will understand" - Confucius