Author Topic: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!  (Read 225229 times)

camasthecat

• Contributor
  • WOW! 400+ Posts!? Jeez! Do I have a life!?!?
    • View Profile
    • My site for thermalJS, an HTML5/Javascript engine kinda-like flixel:
Re: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!
« Reply #520 on: Fri, Sep 16, 2011 »
ctrl+E, then click Export . . . this updates all the files including csv

Hmm... That's cool.

Just wish there was a dame version that was nice and simple...no sprite things, no moving platforms, that kind of thing. Make it less glitchy, and kinda slow. That would be nice. :D

Tiled is not slow at all... And it looks less complicated, no orange/silver/whatever windows. :)

Sorry about the whining, I really want to love DAME, I really do. It's just a bit hard for me to love a program that is laggy.  :-\

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #521 on: Fri, Sep 16, 2011 »
Is it possible to have a foreground layer? like one on TOP of everything? (to enhance the 3Dness of parallax scrolling)
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

eriihine

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: Sun, Sep 18, 2011 »
>>Remembers your previous settings between sessions.

where are these settings stored and how do I reset the dame window positions ?

My problem is that the tile window is now off screen and I can not access it. I had two monitor setup, but one of the monitors broke and now tile window is at wrong coordinates.

I tried uninstalling Dame and Air, but that did not reset the settings. I assume these are stored in a sperate file somewhere - where excatly ?

Thanks for your help...

eriihine

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: Sun, Sep 18, 2011 »
^^

Managed to "fix" my missing tile window problem by borrowing a second monitor and then moving the lost window back to primary monitor area  :D

It would be nice if in future Dame version there would be an option to reset to default settings.

Never the less ... I really like using Dame editor - Excellent peace of SW :)

Alextfish

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: Mon, Sep 19, 2011 »
- Lastly, it'd be nice if you could check/uncheck visibility for a layer without automatically switching to it. A lot of times I'll be working on a lower layer and want to toggle the visibility of upper layers without leaving the current layer.
Yes, definitely this! I keep wanting to hide layer A so I can more easily work on some other layer B which I have selected. I uncheck layer A's checkbox and can now see layer B clearly, so I start drawing... except it's now drawing on the invisible layer A! It'd be sooo much easier to use if this happened. I can't actually think of any sensible use case for being able to draw on a level that's not displayed.

Otherwise, though, I'm very happy with DAME's integration with Flixel. Thanks for the excellent free product!

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #525 on: Wed, Sep 21, 2011 »
New Version of DAME 2.1.1

• Icons in drop down boxes now show all the time.
  • Changed flixel and flashpunk exporters so custom import text shows up in the baselevel.
  • Prevented spacebar from changing selected button as that is used for the eyedropper.

I am looking at all your bugs/requests! Sorry I can't respond to each one and some of them aren't as easy to fix as I'd like them to be.

tyrannosaur_jet

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: Thu, Sep 22, 2011 »
I've been absolutely loving DAME.

I do have one major bug, though, that seems to be cropping up even in 2.1.1: on OSX, the Tiles palette frequently disappears and refuses to reappear no matter what I do. I've been using it on Windows extensively, and no such problem exists; it's just on OSX.

Alextfish

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: Fri, Sep 23, 2011 »
Is anyone using the flxComplex.lua exporter? I've recently added properties to some of my sprites, so switched to using flxComplex rather than flxSimple in order to export these properties. But I'm finding that now none of my tile layers are colliding by default.

The problem seems to be with the Ha****s properties of a DAME layer. Each layer has a Ha****s property, but that seems to default to false. And I can't find any way within DAME to specify that the layer should Ha****s = true. Two of my layers have a collideIndex of 75 and one of them collideIndex of 1, but in all cases Ha****s seems to be false, which means the code exported from DAME doesn't add those layers to the hitTilemaps group.

For the moment I'm hacking the code after export from DAME to alter the generated addTilemap calls, changing the "hits" parameter from false to true for the layers in question. But obviously I have to redo this hack every time I re-export my level.

Can anyone tell me how to change the Ha****s property of a DAME layer? I've searched all through the DAME website and wiki, but without any useful results.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #528 on: Fri, Sep 23, 2011 »
There should be Has Hits checkbox on the properties pane.

Alextfish

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: Fri, Sep 23, 2011 »
All I see is a "HasHeight" checkbox, which says it's the one to use for if you're stacking several tiles on top of each other. That doesn't sound like the same thing at all as a tile being used for collisions. (The only other checkboxes are Repeat X, Repeat Y, and a greyed-out Preserve Tile Positions.) Is my installation of DAME missing something?

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #530 on: Fri, Sep 23, 2011 »
You're looking in the layer info... You should be looking in the properties panel... It's titled "Properties", appears on the main window, I think usually under the layers panel, and when you have sprites and map layers selected it displays a data grid for you to edit properties. The Has Hits checkbox is above it, along with checkboxes for Locked and Export

TattooGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: Sun, Sep 25, 2011 »
IMAGE LAYER export missing

Hi,

I have setup an image layer and map layer in a group, the image is behind the map and displays correctly in the preview.
When I export the map the code for the image layer is missing from the generated class, it doesn't even import the jpg.

Have I missed some setting some where? or is it not possible to have the image layer and map layer together like this?

I am exporting using flixelSimple.lua and using DAME v2.1.1

thanks!

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #532 on: Sun, Sep 25, 2011 »
Image layer export is possible. You just need to write a custom exporter to do that since image layers aren't a feature that is a in Flixel by default.

Use DAME.CreateTextForImageLayer in your exporter. See The Exporters page in the DAME help docs for more info.

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #533 on: Fri, Sep 30, 2011 »
A small bug.
I wanted to have a big image as my background. (following photonstorm's tutorial) I created a Map Layer with these settings:

http://up.iranblog.com/images/sun5fugpwhvotgbpckj.png

(note that I didn't have a blank tile in my first tile sheet, since there is no tile sheet and it's just a normal image)
(also note that draw index is to zero because I didn't want to waste space and have a 640x479 blank tile)

But whenever I open the map, background is not visible. I have to open edit layer and just press OK, background materializes (appears).

It's no big deal but I would love to see DAME excel.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #534 on: Fri, Sep 30, 2011 »
Hmmm... ok, will look into it...

datorum

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: Fri, Sep 30, 2011 »
A small bug.
I wanted to have a big image as my background. (following photonstorm's tutorial) I created a Map Layer with these settings:

http://up.iranblog.com/images/sun5fugpwhvotgbpckj.png

(note that I didn't have a blank tile in my first tile sheet, since there is no tile sheet and it's just a normal image)
(also note that draw index is to zero because I didn't want to waste space and have a 640x479 blank tile)

But whenever I open the map, background is not visible. I have to open edit layer and just press OK, background materializes (appears).

It's no big deal but I would love to see DAME excel.

I had the same problem too, drawindex 0 doesn't work for background tiles. I don't know why, the export code was correct - drawindex was set properly to 0. Thus, it could be that it is not a DAME problem.
Workaround: use drawindex = 1 and waste space on a 640x479 blank tile ;)

Awesome tool btw.! Many thx to XanderXevious for DAME!!!
« Last Edit: Fri, Sep 30, 2011 by datorum »

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #536 on: Sun, Oct 2, 2011 »
New Version: 2.1.2

• Data for per tile properties and tile anims can now be shared amongst all layers with the same tileset.
  • Flixel complex exporter now allows a class for the base class to derive from.
  • Flixel complex exporter now outputs tile properties.
  • Added %%ifproplength%% keyword for exporters.
  • Fix loading bug when tilemaps are only 1 tile wide.

datorum

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: Sun, Oct 9, 2011 »
Great Tool!

* Feature Question
Is there a possibility to reload the image files without loading another opening another map and reloading the current one?
Usually, I build my level and then I notice a tile is missing. I start drawing that tile, but of course in doesn't show up
in the "Tiles" - a "reload/refresh Tiles" button/menu item would be awesome for me or did I miss that feature/option somewhere?

* "bug" Report
I just noticed a very small bug(?), sometimes when I hit "export" it only shows:
Code: [Select]
Export pressed at Sun Oct 9 15:03:19 GMT+0200 2011
Load lua.
and nothing happens, then I have to hit it again and it works - so it is not even annoying (just confusing the first few times)

Code: [Select]
Export pressed at Sun Oct 9 15:03:25 GMT+0200 2011
Load lua.
Lua file loaded.
Execute Lua script.

Alextfish

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: Mon, Oct 10, 2011 »
* Feature Question
Is there a possibility to reload the image files without loading another opening another map and reloading the current one?
Usually, I build my level and then I notice a tile is missing. I start drawing that tile, but of course in doesn't show up
in the "Tiles" - a "reload/refresh Tiles" button/menu item would be awesome for me or did I miss that feature/option somewhere?
There is. Right-click in the Tiles window and select "Refresh image" or similar.

(DAME is an awesome tool, with an impressive feature set for a free program. But it is very bad for usability/discoverability; often very useful features like this are buried in a right-click menu on some non-obvious part of the tool.)

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #539 on: Tue, Oct 11, 2011 »
I wonder if it is just me, but when I address my tiles in DAME, but when I address my tiles or images in DAME, I end up with bugs in embedded images in my levels or base level files.