Author Topic: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!  (Read 218912 times)

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
Re: DAME - a new map editor made using flixel!
« Reply #740 on: Wed, Jul 11, 2012 »
Is there any support for animated tiles in DAME, or at least in newer versions?

I would be interested to know about some clues to do so at least.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

TheCreator

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: Wed, Jul 11, 2012 »
I'd like to know if it's possible to make a map layer invisible so that the tiles in it can't be seen but the collisition detection can still be checked.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #742 on: Sun, Jul 15, 2012 »
Is there any support for animated tiles in DAME, or at least in newer versions?

I would be interested to know about some clues to do so at least.
Actually, they've been in DAME since version 2. However, after reading your query I've just uploaded a new addition to the DAME samples that should help you out here: http://dambots.com/dame-samples

I'd like to know if it's possible to make a map layer invisible so that the tiles in it can't be seen but the collisition detection can still be checked.
You can either set the drawIndex in the layer properties to something really high or (and this is preferable) add a boolean property to your map layer called "hidden" and then when you parse the properties you can just set the layers visibility to false if it finds this property.

LaughingLeader

• View Profile
    • LaughingLeader Blog
« Reply #743 on: Wed, Jul 18, 2012 »

A simple solution in your code (after you already have your map layer exported and working in-game) would be to just set your FlxTilemap.visible to false. You can still collide with it, but it won't be visible.

Like so:

Code: [Select]
public function createCollisionMap():void
                   {
collisionMap = recycle(FlxTilemap) as FlxTilemap;
collisionMap.loadMap(new collisionCSV, levelData.collisionTilesPNG, 16, 16, 0, 0, 1, 1);
collisionMap.visible = false;
   }
Then in your Playstate:
Code: [Select]
FlxG.collide(Registry.Player, Registry.gameLevel.collisionMap);So you can still collide with the map and everything, but it's invisible. If you wanted, you could set a key to toggle it's visibility as well. Sorta make a "debug vision" kind of thing.

c023-DeV

• Game Artisan
    • View Profile
    • DeV-ZoO
« Reply #744 on: Wed, Jul 25, 2012 »
Hey!

Still lovin your work! Good Job so far with 3.0!

I just have a small feature request on mind that I wanted to share:

I'd like to "link" layers to a collision Layer like in the Weltmeister Editor from ImpactJS:
http://vimeo.com/17163174

Because when I duplicate the mapped out matrixed layers, they won't work with the 2Tiles for 0and1 on my collision map that lays all the way in the back. Or can anyone think of a trick?

Thank You!
Keep it up!
If you aint got no dedication, you won't get no education!

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #745 on: Sun, Jul 29, 2012 »

Backward pieS

• View Profile
    • Backward pieS, LLC
« Reply #746 on: Fri, Aug 3, 2012 »
The latest updates to DAME are great. :)

But...heh...when I have the grid turned on, it doesn't stay visible on sprite layers. It shows if I'm panning around, but disappears as soon as I stop. Map layers are fine.

Anyone else experiencing this? I miss my grids. :(

EDIT: Okay, it seems the grid stays on if I have a sprite selected for editing, just not otherwise. Maybe that's even a good thing (need some time with it to see if it impacts my workflow).
« Last Edit: Fri, Aug 3, 2012 by Backward pieS »

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #747 on: Wed, Aug 29, 2012 »
If possible, was wondering if possible to do these two:

1) Store addresses of AS3 and CSV of a project (or exporter) locally. I back and forth with my game designer and each time he gives me his Levels.dam file and I want to export, I have to reset the CSV and AS3 folders in the exporter manually, so does he.

2) When we export, a message box pops up saying that export was successful and do we want to see this dialogue box again and if I say no, it doesn't show up but DAME doesn't store that setting and if I re-open DAME and export, that message box pops up again.

And I suggest you add Rot Gut to list of games that have been made with DAME, perhaps, proudly.

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #748 on: Mon, Sep 10, 2012 »
1) Actually you can already do this.. if I'm understanding correctly. When you export just tick the "store relative file paths".
2) And thanks for letting me know about the game. I just had a play and it's pretty cool. I'll add it to the list. I have a few to add...

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #749 on: Mon, Sep 17, 2012 »
1) I just saw that. Problem is game project's address is different between machines, hope I'm clear:

In my machine when I set AS3 and CSV folders and export and save and give it to my game designer, then he has to change AS3 folder and CSV folder again because it's saved into the file. I hoped it would stay in DAME rather than the file.

c023-DeV

• Game Artisan
    • View Profile
    • DeV-ZoO
« Reply #750 on: Mon, Sep 17, 2012 »
Heya! I just wanted to ask if there is a way to load the levels externally, to give our players the option to create their own levels with DAME... I'll start a thread for this because I think it will be a bit more than a one shot awnser? But I thought I might give it a shot here first.

I was a huge fan of the quake series... so I wanted to set it up like they used to. That modders only have to make a *.zip with all the files in a certain hirachy then load this file ingame (with UI) or just place it into a local directory ... is there a chance that I could manage to do this or can I save my time digging into this any further because of some reason?

Or has someone done this allready and can point me to a nice place to start looking?
If you aint got no dedication, you won't get no education!

Backward pieS

• View Profile
    • Backward pieS, LLC
« Reply #751 on: Tue, Sep 25, 2012 »
+1 for having players able to load levels externally!

Seems like it shouldn't be *too* hard for someone who knows what he's doing...but that isn't me. :)

LaughingLeader

• View Profile
    • LaughingLeader Blog
« Reply #752 on: Tue, Oct 2, 2012 »
Heya! I just wanted to ask if there is a way to load the levels externally, to give our players the option to create their own levels with DAME... I'll start a thread for this because I think it will be a bit more than a one shot awnser? But I thought I might give it a shot here first.

I was a huge fan of the quake series... so I wanted to set it up like they used to. That modders only have to make a *.zip with all the files in a certain hirachy then load this file ingame (with UI) or just place it into a local directory ... is there a chance that I could manage to do this or can I save my time digging into this any further because of some reason?

Or has someone done this allready and can point me to a nice place to start looking?

I'd look into loading external files with URLLoader (or using the File and FileStream classes if you're using AIR), and then set up things so that your game can generate the level from the file (whether it's a xml, .csv, or text file). It's definitely not a simple answer, and it's more of a programming sort of thing than something DAME does "out of the box" (since DAME is really just a tool to be able to build levels and export them into whatever format you want for use in your game).

Here's some links:

http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=161491
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6342986/building-a-tile-game-how-to-load-the-level-data-externally

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #753 on: Thu, Oct 4, 2012 »

Hi,

One of the DAME samples on my website already does this.
Check out the Xml dynamic load in the sample there:

http://dambots.com/dame-samples

It's worth checking out those samples as it will show you xml exporting/importing, dynamic loading, isometric, stacked tilemaps.

Jeff

• View Profile
    • Entertainment Evolution
« Reply #754 on: Mon, Oct 15, 2012 »
Hmh, a really silly question: I've somehow lost the tileset from the map editing layer, so now I can only use the tile that I've already selected or the ones I get with the pipette. The "restore lost tool windows" doesn't help. How do I get it back?
Please give me feedback for my latest game in progress:
Blog: Entertainment Evolution

Rock Forever

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: Mon, Oct 22, 2012 »
hey XanderXevious, for some reason, i cant see the download link on your web page, so, can you post it here?

xyroclast

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: Thu, Oct 25, 2012 »
There's an "install now" button in the bottom part of the black d in the red square

Rock Forever

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: Thu, Oct 25, 2012 »
There's an "install now" button in the bottom part of the black d in the red square

seeing nothing, maybe this "Please upgrade your Flash Player This is the content that would be shown if the user does not have Flash Player 10.1 or higher installed."
weird, because flash player its constantly updated and i have 11.something, thats why im requesting XanderXevious to post a direct link on the OP. if possible :)

XanderXevious

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Alien Microbots
« Reply #758 on: Sat, Oct 27, 2012 »
seeing nothing, maybe this "Please upgrade your Flash Player This is the content that would be shown if the user does not have Flash Player 10.1 or higher installed."
weird, because flash player its constantly updated and i have 11.something, thats why im requesting XanderXevious to post a direct link on the OP. if possible :)
If you scroll down to the middle of the DAME page on my website Ijust under the feature list) you'll see that there are already direct links for everything you need to install. :)

zoorroo4

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: Mon, Oct 29, 2012 »
My tile panel isīnt showing up.. WTF? Was working great a few days ago..