Author Topic: dotPlus : A math based puzzle game.  (Read 4801 times)

hima

• View Profile
    • My Dev Blog
dotPlus : A math based puzzle game.
« on: Sat, Aug 8, 2009 »
This is a remake of a puzzle game I made months ago. The game was inspired by Blocksum and because I'm a math geek lol.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SqThKUy3K7Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SqThKUy3K7Q</a>

I haven't really done much in AS3 and flash game dev. This is probably my second game ( first one being a shmup done in Flex for the Internet Programming class) I found flixel and it seems like this will be a great time for me to pick up flash for real. I chose this game because it seems like a casual game that should be suitable playing online with online highscore and all ( I hope this is not too far fetch for me).

Right now I got the title screen up and running without the falling numbers like in the original one. But I'll probably redo all the graphic anyway :O

You can play the game here :

http://www.kongregate.com/games/gptouch/dotplus

EDITED : Didn't find any sponsors so I put it up on Kongregate. But someone bought the site-locked version so at least it isn't like nobody care about this game! :'D
« Last Edit: Tue, Nov 17, 2009 by hima »

failrate

Re: dotPlus : A math based puzzle game.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, Aug 8, 2009 »
It took me a while to figure out what was going on, but that looks pretty good.  I think the chunking pixelated graphics that flixel does so well would be great for a puzzle game.

hima

• View Profile
    • My Dev Blog
« Reply #2 on: Fri, Oct 16, 2009 »
Ok I almost finish this game in Flash version, thanks a lot to Flixel :) 

However, I want this game to by first commercial flash game as well. I'm still new to this whole flash dev scene so I'd like to ask for some advices.

The only part I have left for my game right now is the highscore part. However, I'm thinking about using FlashGameLicense service. I'm tempted to use Kongegrate API, since it looks easy to use and adam already made FlxKong for easy integration. The problem is, if I integrate it and put it on FlashGameLicense, would this look bad?  Since sponsors might want me to use their apis instead. Also what about sponsors who don't have their own highscore API? Would using other website API looks bad?  I'm trying to avoid writing my own highscore stuffs since I think other API have already covered this and done much better than I could.

Apart from the questions above, I've also made a trailer movie for my game. It is made using Ruby version of the game so some graphics or effects has been changed in the Flash version to overcome performance issue.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SKyr4dhFmYo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SKyr4dhFmYo</a>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKyr4dhFmYo

mhughson

• View Profile
    • matthughson.com
« Reply #3 on: Sat, Oct 17, 2009 »
I can't help with your question but I just wanted to say the game looks great and I've been looking forward to it since the first trailer was released!

I think a trailer explaining the puzzle mechanic would go a long way though.  I'm excited, but I still don't really know what the game is doing  ;)

hima

• View Profile
    • My Dev Blog
« Reply #4 on: Mon, Oct 19, 2009 »
I can't help with your question but I just wanted to say the game looks great and I've been looking forward to it since the first trailer was released!

I think a trailer explaining the puzzle mechanic would go a long way though.  I'm excited, but I still don't really know what the game is doing  ;)

Thank you! I haven't got time to do another video yet but I'll make one if I have time this weekend or something :)  I'm really glad to hear that you like the game and hope I won't disappoint you *crosses fingers*

Anyway the game is done, and I decided to go with Moji Leaderboard for highscore for now.  I'll be updating the first post with the game link soon for people here to try :)

hima

• View Profile
    • My Dev Blog
« Reply #5 on: Thu, Oct 22, 2009 »
Updated the first post with the game link!
« Last Edit: Thu, Oct 22, 2009 by hima »

mklee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thu, Oct 22, 2009 »
I'm enjoying this quite a bit Hima. Great job on the game so far, the sum-based gameplay is pretty inventive and a lot of the feedback mechanisms you have in place work pretty well. The only issues I see is that the game's difficulty ramps up pretty quickly, the blocks move up a little too fast for comfort and it's difficult to get multiple matches after finding the first match quickly. My suggestion would be maybe to slow things down a bit initially and also slightly lengthen the time after finding a match to find a second match.

Still a great job Hima! Good luck with finding a sponsor!

ShawnMcCool

• View Profile
    • ShawnMcCool.com : A Blog on Web and Game Development
« Reply #7 on: Fri, Oct 30, 2009 »
I agree on slowing things down.  I feel a bit stressed while playing.  I feel like I should be able to start playing and comfortably feel my way through the game, before having the difficulty ramp up.

hima

• View Profile
    • My Dev Blog
« Reply #8 on: Fri, Oct 30, 2009 »
Thank you, both of you :)  I'll make it easier so that players will have time to learn the game instead of worrying that they'll get a game over and stressed out  :D

hima

• View Profile
    • My Dev Blog
« Reply #9 on: Tue, Nov 17, 2009 »
Uploaded to Kongregate and added the twitter thingy, thanks to nitram_cero  ;)

Unfortunately I couldn't find any sponsors, but one guy bought the site-locked version so it's good enough as sponsor, me think.

I have toned down the difficulty as well as fixing some bugs and add the submit score screen so you have a choice to submit your score.  The twitter button will tweet your score and your level :D