Author Topic: Up to date Game tutorial  (Read 2401 times)

shaolin

• View Profile
Up to date Game tutorial
« on: Thu, Sep 9, 2010 »
I'm looking for an up to date Flixel game tutorial for beginners. The best one I've found so far is this one by Seifer Tim:

http://wiki.github.com/AdamAtomic/flixel/seifer-tims-tutorial

But even this tutorial says it is incompatible with the new version of Flixel. I've gone through this tutorial using Flash Builder till the end of part 1 - ii (Getting Started). I've replaced the word 'Tutorial' with 'Game' in my project. When I test the project I get an error message saying:

Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert com.Game::MenuState@2dc0a01 to org.flixel.FlxState.

at org.flixel::FlxGame/create()[C:\Users\David\Desktop\Works\Flash\Game\src\org\flixel\FlxGame.as:481]

Is there a more up to date tutorial than this one, or a way I can fix this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Thu, Sep 9, 2010 by shaolin »

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
    • Initials Blog. Code and other things.
Re: Up to date Game tutorial
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Sep 9, 2010 »
I'm not sure what the error is, so I can't help there.

The best resource for learning flixel is the five games available for download on the front page. I think there's even more if you look at AdamAtomics github account.

Open each of those up, read the comments (and the are VERY WELL commented), see what each line does, and start messing around with the code.

The game 'Mode' in particular is a fantastic resource, considering it's a full platformer ready to go.
Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thu, Sep 9, 2010 »
Thanks initials :D, I'll take a look at those games.

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
    • Initials Blog. Code and other things.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, Sep 9, 2010 »
Something that may help is that I had much better luck running the Beta version of Flixel with FlashDevelop, rather than the standard, when copying files into that ORG folder.
Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart

OmegaStorm

• View Profile
    • OmegaStorm Productions
« Reply #4 on: Fri, Sep 10, 2010 »
You can find a tutorial that is compatible with the current stable release (2.35) at http://www.creativeapplications.net/flash/flixel-2-tutorial-flash-tutorials-games/ that creates a basic defender style shooter.

I've expanded on this tutorial a little bit, so once you complete it, you can find my extension that picks up where it left off here:http://www.omegastormproductions.com/uber-flash/flixel-2-tutorial-extended

I still fairly new to Flixel and Actionscript myself, so I figured I'd contribute to other people's learning. :3

zuperxtreme

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Buddah
« Reply #5 on: Fri, Sep 10, 2010 »
I'm making a few tutorials for a website I usually frequent, but I've only done a very simple brick-breaker game so far. It's pretty long, but it's aimed towards total noobs to both AS and Flixel. I dwell a bit into OOP, if you're interested.

Check it out here

I'm in the process of writing one for a platformer, I'm a little less than halfway done. I'll post here when I finish it.
..."without order nothing exists, without chaos nothing evolves"... 
Zoklet.net

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sat, Sep 11, 2010 »
Thanks a lot guys for all the help. It is very much appreciated :D.

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sat, Sep 11, 2010 »
The game I'm wanting to make is a platformer funnily enough :P. I've figured out how to make a character on the stage have gravity, and jump when it is at the bottom of the screen. The next thing I'm trying to figure out is how to put a platform in the game for the character to land on (rather than falling to the bottom of the stage). It'll be awesome to see your platformer tutorial when its done zuperxtreme :D.

zuperxtreme

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Buddah
« Reply #9 on: Sun, Oct 17, 2010 »
The game I'm wanting to make is a platformer funnily enough :P. I've figured out how to make a character on the stage have gravity, and jump when it is at the bottom of the screen. The next thing I'm trying to figure out is how to put a platform in the game for the character to land on (rather than falling to the bottom of the stage). It'll be awesome to see your platformer tutorial when its done zuperxtreme :D.

Just following up, here's the tutorial: http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?p=2227703#post2227703

Probably too basic for you, I'll be doing the second part soon enough.

Cheers.
..."without order nothing exists, without chaos nothing evolves"... 
Zoklet.net