Author Topic: Flixelvania  (Read 2900 times)

TestSubject06

• View Profile
Flixelvania
« on: Sun, Sep 12, 2010 »
Well, I've been working on a Castlevania themed game, though i hope it will be like Castlevania without being a shameless clone, i have a few game mechanics in mind but for now i just want to post what i've got here so someone other than me can see it.
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1284335329

Controls are as follows:
·Arrow keys navigate the menu while X is confirm and C is back.
·Arrows move
·X jumps
·Down+X is slide kick.
·Up saves while under a save crystal.

there are a bunch bugs with player control 'n such but nothing serious. the character movement code is just slapped together to be able to navigate the levels.

I do intend to create my own character once i have more of the game engine working. I'm just borrowing Richter because he's such a great test character - he has so many animations!

well, it's not much but play around with it and let me know what you think, theres 3 rooms, and a save point to the far Right that works!
Stuff.

zyxstand

• View Profile
Re: Flixelvania
« Reply #1 on: Sun, Sep 12, 2010 »
i'm already liking it - simple and elegant regardless of all the faulty controls (ie: getting stuck crouching, having to press down while on ground to slide (rather than having it held down from while still in air), etc.)

btw, do you consider yourself more of an artist or a programmer?

TestSubject06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Sep 13, 2010 »
btw, do you consider yourself more of an artist or a programmer?
aaaahaaa, haahahaha... no way man, my art is unbearable bro.
Stuff.

Tyranus

• View Profile
    • Tyranus:: Indie Games.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, Sep 13, 2010 »
Hi TestSubject06,

I find a little bug, if you do a slide kick and then you fall, the flag of "ducked" don't return to false.

Greetings, and luck with your game.

TestSubject06

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mon, Sep 13, 2010 »
yeah, theres also Slidelaunching too :D but that's all stuff i'll get to later. Thanks for checkin' it out and for the bug report
Stuff.

OmegaStorm

• View Profile
    • OmegaStorm Productions
« Reply #5 on: Thu, Sep 16, 2010 »
yeah, theres also Slidelaunching too :D but that's all stuff i'll get to later. Thanks for checkin' it out and for the bug report

By "slide launching," I assume you mean continuing at the sliding velocity as long as you keep jumping and don't let the sliding animation finish.  ;)

Also, the hitbox doesn't resize when sliding, so you can't slide under things.
« Last Edit: Thu, Sep 16, 2010 by OmegaStorm »

TestSubject06

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Fri, Sep 17, 2010 »
yeah i'll have a new version up soon, just as soon as i can get this mini-map working.
Stuff.

TestSubject06

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sat, Sep 25, 2010 »
Well the minimap's been working, and i totally forgot about the thread, but whatever - new version: http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1285436200

and since i cant get the old link to even work anymore i can't really remember what i've changed. theres now 6 rooms, spikes, health, a map, a pause screen thats different if you pause instead of click away. bunch of stuff.
Stuff.

OmegaStorm

• View Profile
    • OmegaStorm Productions
« Reply #8 on: Sat, Sep 25, 2010 »
Very cool, I like the mini map.

TestSubject06

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sun, Sep 26, 2010 »
thanks, the minimap took a while
Stuff.

Lo.wang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sun, Oct 3, 2010 »
i'm already liking it - simple and elegant regardless of all the faulty controls (ie: getting stuck crouching, having to press down while on ground to slide (rather than having it held down from while still in air), etc.)

I wonder if its actually possible to cover every edge condition without causing a severe performance drop? That could be  a lot of if,else statments and flags.

Well the minimap's been working, and i totally forgot about the thread, but whatever - new version: http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1285436200

Looks really good. you got a fleshed out a good amount of some mechanics with the jumping and hitting the spikes and having the player fly back in a hurt animation, and the jumping and falling animation. good stuff.  Best of luck to your art once you get the programming done. I really suck at art myself.  :)
« Last Edit: Sun, Oct 3, 2010 by Lo.wang »