Author Topic: html5 that looks like flixel... any relation?  (Read 3240 times)

keptblue

• View Profile
    • EXTLABS
html5 that looks like flixel... any relation?
« on: Tue, Sep 14, 2010 »
it almost seems like this guy took graphics or code from flixel..... am i crazy?

http://www.phoboslab.org/biolab/

Naimad Rot

• View Profile
Re: html5 that looks like flixel... any relation?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Sep 14, 2010 »
Flixel is not a graphics library, and you can create a retro-style 2d platformer without using any existing library, so no, he didn't steal. What he did was he wrote his own engine and editor for use with javascript and the latest html5 functionality.

It's a great game as well, although far too short, but I guess it's more of a tech demo in that regard :)

SwiftFalcn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tue, Sep 14, 2010 »
I just pushed his demo through a beautifier and they have alot in common but it probably has more to do with as3 and js being both ecmascript. His framework looks pretty sweet. good find I've been waiting for this.

Billy

• Herper of Derps
    • View Profile
    • billy.wenge-murphy.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Sep 15, 2010 »
I just saw that linked on Twitter. Pretty incredible. He claims on his blog Impact JS is his own engine. I figure they're just built on similar design principles. And yeah, although AS3 is quite different from Javascript's loose typing and prototypal inheritance, they both (mostly) adhere to the ECMAScript standard now, so you tend to do things in similar ways in both languages (Even moreso since it's common to fake class-based in inheritance in JS)

That trademark flash and shake looked very Flixel-like though! I'd be surprised if he didn't purposely mimic Flixel/FP

Oh, and I love how his tests show this "standards-based Flash killer" runs like crap on iPhone! ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, Sep 15, 2010 by Billy »

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
    • Initials Blog. Code and other things.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, Sep 15, 2010 »
I don't think the issue here is the engine, or how he coded it.
I think the issue is that those graphics are clearly taken straight from the Mode demo and not given any credit.

I recently released a Mode Gravity Remix, which I believe I am entitled to do by quoting sources and releasing my own source, but this guy has clearly shifted the hue on some sprites from Mode and claimed it as his own.

I am not very impressed.
Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart

biomechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thu, Sep 16, 2010 »
Even though the engine seems to be inspired by flixel and the graphics are similar to those in mode, none of the tiles are direct lifts or pallete-swaps.

Still, it looks pretty cool - too bad it runs real slow in FF.

Billy

• Herper of Derps
    • View Profile
    • billy.wenge-murphy.com
« Reply #6 on: Thu, Sep 16, 2010 »
this guy has clearly shifted the hue on some sprites from Mode and claimed it as his own.

I don't see it. One floating platform is identical, and another is very close, but that's it. But how many ways are there to draw a tiny box, really? The rest of the stuff (Guy with a helmet shooting big rectangular bullets at enemies that explode in a spray of 'gibs') is just suspiciously similar to Flixel and Adam's graphics so it's pretty likely inspired by it, but not obviously stolen

too bad it runs real slow in FF.

Yeah, unfortunately performance varies a lot between Canvas implementations right now...and sometimes in really weird ways. Firefox is far behind in both JS and Canvas speed, but no worries, it's catching up a lot in Firefox 4.

It works beautifully fast in Chrome and Opera though. I might dig through the code and play with the particle system; I think it might actually be smoother than Flash

TVarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Fri, Sep 17, 2010 »
Pardon my stupidity, but speaking of HTML 5 engines, is there any chance Flixel could get ported to HTML 5?

Frankly, I don't care that much, as there are already tons of machines that can handle Flash, and most of the HTML 5 for games hoopla is over the iPad/iPhone, which, IMO, has no Flash specifically to drum up sales of games in the App Store.

Plus, I really prefer making games for a full PC, with mouse and keyboard.  Multitouch may offer some different opportunities, but the games I love and would like to imitate as I learn the basics of Flixel use a mouse and keyboard.

Billy

• Herper of Derps
    • View Profile
    • billy.wenge-murphy.com
« Reply #8 on: Fri, Sep 17, 2010 »
I don't see why not. If this library works, Flixel should too.

Most of the magic happens with the <canvas> element. It's basically an all-purpose drawing surface like Flash's various graphics objects (Sprite, BitmapData, etc) and like Flash allows direct pixel manipulation. There are a lot of emerging standards with various levels of completion and browser support, that will eventually make HTML5 extremely capable. It's come pretty far already, though, and you can do quite a lot right now!

If you're interested in more (somewhat technical) information:

http://diveintohtml5.org/
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Canvas_tutorial

With the close similarity between AS3 and Javascript there would be a lot of the code that can rewritten quite trivially, however, it would still be no small task, and canvas, audio, timing, etc can be quite a pain to wrestle with. For now let's just wait and see if this guy open sources his project soon, as he might have a lot of the same capabilities worked out already.

krix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mon, Sep 20, 2010 »
it almost seems like this guy took graphics or code from flixel..... am i crazy?

http://www.phoboslab.org/biolab/

I can assure you, he has build the whole thing from scratch in javascript.
He is a good friend of me, so I know about his project since the beginning.

Cheers

domrein

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mon, Sep 20, 2010 »
I know it's fun to hate Microsoft, but the IE9 implementation of canvas is blazing fast.  Puts Chrome to shame by an order of magnitude in a lot of cases I've tested.  I'd love to see Flixel ported to js as well.  As this point though, it's mostly for fun because almost all game sites are still using Flash as the standard.