Poll

Do you think flixel will be able to support 3D in the future?

Yes, I hope so
9 (26.5%)
No, I don't think so
3 (8.8%)
Maybe, depends on AdamAtomic
5 (14.7%)
I'd rather stick with 2D
17 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: The Future of Flixel - 3D  (Read 4265 times)

Liaf

• yay!
    • View Profile
The Future of Flixel - 3D
« on: Thu, Sep 23, 2010 »
Recently I was surfing the web, and I found this very neat info. Adobe will be implementing a full 3D-Engine in the future versions of flash.
Here's a demo of how this could look like
http://www.carlosulloa.com/demos/spaceship
(made with Papervision3D and not by me).
So I was wondering, if flixel will ever be able to support this engine. What do you think?

kacamac

• View Profile
Re: The Future of Flixel - 3D
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Sep 23, 2010 »
Wouldn't that have to be Flolygon instead of Flixel? :P I'm going to be sticking to 2d either way.

Gigaclon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thu, Sep 23, 2010 »
2D is just fine for flash games. Leave 3d to other things. once you go 3D you instantly complicate the controls

Billy

• Herper of Derps
    • View Profile
    • billy.wenge-murphy.com
« Reply #3 on: Thu, Sep 23, 2010 »
Sounds like serious bloaty feature creep to me. Another framework/library can make use of it, but I don't see how it fits into Flixel
« Last Edit: Thu, Sep 23, 2010 by Billy »

axcho

• View Profile
    • Evolution Live!
« Reply #4 on: Fri, Sep 24, 2010 »
Heh. How about Floxel? ;)

Nimja

• Just a toy
    • View Profile
    • Nimja's Domain
« Reply #5 on: Fri, Sep 24, 2010 »
Actually it will have some impact for us. Rendering parralax semi-3d textures will be faster than most 2D things. So Flixel should (and probably will ;) ) be updated accordingly.

It's very likely that Flash will continue to have more hardware accelerated rendering anyway.
Life's too short to mope.

Alex

• View Profile
    • Levelism
« Reply #6 on: Fri, Sep 24, 2010 »
Heh. How about Floxel? ;)

I would think that was a voxel engine:p
Level designer/Programmer
portfolio/blog http://www.levelism.com

TVarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Fri, Sep 24, 2010 »
Thinking of what nimja said, this also sounds like good news for portable devices, like smartphones and smart MP3 players.  More ways to hardware accelerate Flash means that their hardware, which is getting more and more graphics, video and games oriented, can hook into Flash.  This means more performance, and maybe better battery life if the dedicated hardware does the task more efficiently.

Lo.wang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sat, Oct 2, 2010 »
A bit a tldr rant, but interesting nonetheless if anyone cares to read.
Its completely pointless though on the indie game scale. You would not beable to learned 3D modeling, art/textures/ and 3D game programming and make a game all yourself. Well maby you could learn all the stuff, but doing it all yourself, is a lot of work.. A 3D game is a lot of work for one person let alone a 2D sprite game.

It seems to me pretty much the same evolution of past games is happening on web games.  

Where before 2 or 4 guys could put together a Studio and slap a name on it and come with a  game  a year later and make some cash and some publicity, now had to adapt just doing it for a paycheck at some large corporate studio, then there is some that didn't adapt and just left the game busisiness.   Some of the those old companies are still around like 3Drealms. But most of their are now all bankrupt or were taken over and swallowed up into larger corporate entities like Electronic Arts and Take-Two interactive.

In the future I see Bigger games that will be made in things like unity and or flash 3D by larger corporate entities and push all the indie developers off the stage from public attention and their money. So I defiantly wouldn't be cheering for 3D to quickly. Anyways thats the future of web deployed games once you get into 3D game capabilities in web browsers becoming more widespread.  Then the kids,and bored teenagers  etc.. That your play your guys 2D sprite games will lose interest and start chasing after the 3D games. Pretty much the same thing that happen to the non-web games of the past. 

Maby you could adapt, and join one of these studios that deploys 3D games on the web. But you wont be able to create one all yourself a as hobby in any decent time frame and attract public attention with it like you can right now and take all the credit and make some coin doing it all yourself. So enjoy 2D web games while its here.
« Last Edit: Sat, Oct 2, 2010 by Lo.wang »