Author Topic: Is flixel dead?  (Read 2149 times)

Deviantgeek

• Youngest flixel dev ever. Srsly.
    • View Profile
    • Devianix
Is flixel dead?
« on: Thu, Oct 14, 2010 »
Adam hasn't made an update for 4 months, and fixel iphone hasn't been released. Does anybody have any news from Adam?

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
    • Initials Blog. Code and other things.
Re: Is flixel dead?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Oct 14, 2010 »
http://twitter.com/#!/ADAMATOMIC
According to his twitter he's working on a new game for Semi Secret Software.

The thing about open source software is that it's not dead as long as there is a community. There's nothing stopping anyone from making more classes for Flixel.

As for the iphone version, I don't know. C# is too hard for me. Along with that $100 developer fee, it's not my interest.
Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart

keptblue

• View Profile
    • EXTLABS
« Reply #2 on: Thu, Oct 14, 2010 »
i see this same kind of post in every community i frequent. it is a cheap way to evoke controversy.

the answer is hell no. adam atomic is probably up to more epic things atm. the huge amount of work gone will be tapped thoroughly over the course of many years, presumably until AS3 fizzles out.

but even then your Flixel'd game creations will stand the test of time because games are a medium with very long lasting value.

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #3 on: Fri, Oct 15, 2010 »
I have to say that I think Flixel is very much alive.  In our hearts.  Sometimes I cry when I think about then, I remember all the good times I had with Flixel.

Just last night when coding using the Flixel frame work I started getting misty eyed, but then I realised I was coding using the frame work.  It was like it never died.
To take care of that not so fresh feeling: #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/

Richard Kain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Fri, Oct 15, 2010 »
If Adam is currently working on commercial products, you can't really hold him responsible for failing to advance Flixel. I've been in a salaried position that required a lot of overtime. You simply don't have the time for side projects when you have a job like that.

Moreover, Adam open-sourced Flixel for the community through Github. Even if he isn't taking the lead on Flixel, it is entirely possible for the community to continue refining the engine and adding features. The people who continue to use Flixel need to become the impetus behind advancing the engine.

And to a certain extent, that is happening. There has already been a port of Flixel to XNA. Here on the boards a lot of users have provided new classes that add functionality to the engine. I myself am trying to port Flixel to OpenTK. We're doing what we can with what has already been established.

Eventually, I'm hoping to construct Flixel-specific "packages" that will provide genre-specific frameworks for games. I think that might be a good way to make it even easier for users to construct games using Flixel.

Billy

• Herper of Derps
    • View Profile
    • billy.wenge-murphy.com
« Reply #5 on: Fri, Oct 15, 2010 »
Hey now, I don't think he was starting anything, he was just genuinely asking...

Adam is currently busy running around the world being an indie superstar. He might get back to Flixel soon or he might not,...someone should ask him directly ;) I'm of the same mind on its open source nature. I think at the very least the community ought to put together a version with some common modifications collected together and some common annoyances smoothed out. When Adam comes back to it, he can either roll the changes back into the main library or if he doesn't want to, hey, it's still out there for people as an option.

I'm currently porting Flixel as well, but when I'm done (if no-one else wants to do it in the meantime) I'll go ahead and combine things like slopes, pathfinding, and various small mods (make pausing optional, no sound tray on startup, optional pause-on-blur, etc) into one package. I've spent much too long digging in the Flixel internals in the process of porting!

As for the iPhone port, I don't think that was officially started, so don't be surprised when it's not moving along ;)

I think the packages Richard suggested are a great idea. Flixel provides an engine that covers 2D game basics, and it seems a logical step forward to have packages built on top of Flixel that cater to common game styles

Deviantgeek

• Youngest flixel dev ever. Srsly.
    • View Profile
    • Devianix
« Reply #6 on: Sat, Oct 16, 2010 »
Thanks guys. I thought the project was dead... I knew it was open sourced, but not having an update from adam for 4 months made me worried.

Wing Eraser

« Reply #7 on: Mon, Oct 18, 2010 »
I'm curious Billy, to which platform are you porting?