Author Topic: XnaFlixel announcement  (Read 5465 times)

graydsl

• View Profile
XnaFlixel announcement
« on: Sat, Jan 15, 2011 »
Hi guys,

I forked X-Flixel over at github and rearranged some code for an easier start. I also created a Visual Studio Extension with a project template to get development up and running in no time. ;)

XnaFlixel is a XNA 4.0 port of flixel. It's highly experimental now and I'm planning to break the whole API to make it more C#-ish. It's not tested on Xbox yet, so if you plan to use it, don't expect to much. :D

github: https://github.com/graydsl/XnaFlixel
VS extension: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/eebbf320-11d8-4bb7-a5ec-b4671f708eb7?SRC=Home

I'm writing my bachelor thesis right now, so don't expect much updates until 18th of february. ;) But it's usable right now and I prototyped a bit in the last few weeks. Works pretty good, thanks to https://github.com/StAidan and https://github.com/StAidan/X-flixel!

bye,
graydsl
« Last Edit: Sat, Jan 15, 2011 by graydsl »

nodlag

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: XnaFlixel announcement
« Reply #1 on: Sun, Jan 16, 2011 »
Great!

rolandinho

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Jan 17, 2011 »
I don't think to break the whole API and make it more C#-ish is a good idea. If i want a C#-ish API a don't choose flixel, there are many others out there. I think it's better to keep it like X-Flixel, because the transition from as3 to xna c# stays easier.

What do the others think?

I've been testing X-Flixel and i'm starting a project with it. It really would be cool to have a project template and some templates also for actors, players etc...
« Last Edit: Mon, Jan 17, 2011 by rolandinho »

Billy

• Herper of Derps
    • View Profile
    • billy.wenge-murphy.com
« Reply #3 on: Mon, Jan 17, 2011 »
Yes, I think there's a lot of good reasons to keep the API the same. The main advantage of using Flixel over a probably better XNA-centric alternative is familiarity. You shouldn't ruin that except where it's necessary. Also, with all the Flixel porting projects, we could get some semi-automatic conversion to multiple platforms going on in the future, and that would be greatly helped by consistency across different versions of the library.

graydsl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mon, Jan 17, 2011 »
I didn't mean to break the way the API works. But the code is a little messed up right now and I'm planning to convert all different comment styles to C# XML style (/// <summary> ..) to make it usable with visual studio.

After that I'd like to "break" the API by using the C# code convention to make it clean and consistent. E.g. FlxU.collide(...) would be FlxU.Collide(...). Maybe I will introduce events where it's possible.

And thanks for the idea with the actor template, maybe I will create some item templates and include them in the extension, if I have some spare time.

bye! :)

eduardonunesp

• View Profile
    • Blog Dream Escape.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, Jan 24, 2011 »
Awesome, congratulations !

rolandinho

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: Tue, Feb 1, 2011 »
Hi,

is this still alive?

graydsl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tue, Feb 1, 2011 »
Give me three weeks... bachelor thesis...  :o ??? 8) ::) x_X

Retro-Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wed, Feb 16, 2011 »
Hey graydsl,
I'm a total noob to xna development and I had some questions that you or maybe someone else on these boards could answer.   To get Mode to compile I need: Visual Studio 2010?   XNA 4.0?  Then I download your mode zip from github and open the sln?   My biggest hurdle for getting into developing for xna is actually getting the IDE set up and compiling :/  Any help on a quick rundown on the steps needed to compile mode would be GREATLY appreciated :D

rolandinho

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: Wed, Feb 16, 2011 »
I could set up a working project of xna flixel if this helps. Its really easy!

Retro-Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wed, Feb 16, 2011 »
Thanks for the offer rolandinho.  I actually managed to get Mode to compile in visual studio 2010.  There were a couple bumps but I got through it.  I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as time goes on.

rdlr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thu, Feb 17, 2011 »

Could you do this? It would be really helpfull as I'm a total xna/visualstudio newb..  :D

rolandinho

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: Tue, Mar 1, 2011 »

Could you do this? It would be really helpfull as I'm a total xna/visualstudio newb..  :D

still need it?

rolandinho

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: Tue, Mar 1, 2011 »
@graydsl

Do you have an idea you to make images smooth??? it seems that xna flixel always pixalates images a little.

I tried turning on PreferMultiSampling in FlxFactory.cs but it did't help.

I know flixel is supose to be a pixel engine but, there must be a way to make flixel games look like normal games.

graydsl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Fri, Mar 4, 2011 »
Hey! I'm back! ;)

XnaFlixel scales all images up until the resolution in InitGame(...) is equal to 1280 width and/or 720 height. That's why all images have to be interpolated to match the new size. If you want to use images in their original size (flixel: zoom = 1) you have to to change the resolution in InitGame(...) to 1280x720.

Another possibility is to change the SamplerState in the Draw method of FlxGame (in the last SpriteBatch.begin(...)) from SamplerState.PointClamp to SamplerState.LinearClamp or SamplerState.AnisotropicClamp. Then you have texture filtering for the whole scene. But the images will be blurry.

byby!

rolandinho

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: Fri, Mar 4, 2011 »
 SamplerState.LinearClamp did the thing -> that's what i was missing. thanks :)

euphoria3k

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mon, Jul 4, 2011 »
Hey graydsl

Good job, any plans to upgrade this to 2.5?

Cheers