Author Topic: FATHOM  (Read 15066 times)

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
FATHOM
« on: Tue, Jun 2, 2009 »

FATHOM took about 10 days to make.  I used Eclipse + Flex Builder 2.0 plugin for the Actionscript coding, Photoshop CS4 and Cosmigo Pro Motion 6 for the graphics, and SFXR for the sound effects.  I collaborated again with the inimitable and utterly badass Danny B for music, who put together some really memorable stuff.  The game is only about 200KB without the music, which composes the other 12 MB or so of content!  But I think it's worth it.

Ipsquiggle

Re: FATHOM
« Reply #1 on: Sat, Jun 6, 2009 »
This game was tasty and surprising. Two thumbs up. :)

Wonderful

« Reply #2 on: Sat, Jun 6, 2009 »
The art reminds me a ton of Cave Story, you could be a part of Studio Pixel for all I know. It's fantastic work, I love every inch of it.

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #3 on: Sat, Jun 6, 2009 »
Studio Pixel is just one wonderful man, Daisuke Amaya, but I had Cave Story on the mind as I recently finished all of the hi-res environment art for the Wii port ;)

SMRobot

« Reply #4 on: Sat, Jun 6, 2009 »
This was really great although it ended a little abruptly. Nice artwork too.

Jazmeister

« Reply #5 on: Sat, Jun 6, 2009 »
I really loved this game, and although it had some little technical hitches, they seemed entirely intrinsic to the goals of the project. This is exactly the kind of **** people need to try to do in this industry.

I reviewed this here, too.

Nersop

« Reply #6 on: Tue, Jun 9, 2009 »
Ehh... I prefer games without so much depth.

brokenPlatypus

« Reply #7 on: Tue, Jun 9, 2009 »
I really liked it. These are the types of games I love to play online.. not too long or difficult, but fun and interesting.

SeanEBlog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tue, Jun 9, 2009 »
I tried to play this off my hard drive instead of off of the web page and got this.

This I found hilarious because I've always wondered why no one just puts URL detection on their files to prevent stealing.

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #9 on: Tue, Jun 9, 2009 »
hehe...it kind of requires a bunch of serverside stuff too, unfortunately, otherwise the website can just point at YOUR swf to begin with :P  but I figured i'd build at least optional locking in (it is on for fathom, but off for mode)

prettymuchbryce

« Reply #10 on: Fri, Jun 12, 2009 »
instant classic. obviously can see the cave story influence but i think its just that.. influence. The underwater part has alot of open spaces against the wall.. are those empties?? Any chance youll ever release the source for this one? I understand if not because it seems like you put alot more of yourself into it than mode.

I really enjoyed it. I like games that make you feel things... imagine that.

Also the first level isnt procedurally generated right? Its the same every time?

I would like to look at the source for this one for sure. Are those breakable blocks flxsprites or flxblocks?

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #11 on: Fri, Jun 12, 2009 »
It was built on an older version (much much worse version!!) of flixel, so the source probably wouldn't be that helpful...

1 - no, underwater just has some standalone blocks.  the middle-background (the dark blocks that move along with the labyrinth but are behind the player) is just one GIANT flxblock with 4 tiles and 4 empties though
2 - yea the flxblocks are placed the same during the intro every time
3 - the "breakable" blocks are flxblocks that i pull out of their own little array whenever they get drilled

Spaulding

« Reply #12 on: Wed, Jun 17, 2009 »
Pretty awesome. I'm still trying to figure out how you get such big levels without destroying your frame rate.

A bug: the sound effects for the sprinklers at the beginning are not silenced when you pause.

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #13 on: Wed, Jun 17, 2009 »
Yeah I hadn't built the nice global sound system yet :P

lechuckgl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wed, Jun 17, 2009 »
Yeah I hadn't built the nice global sound system yet :P

Don't avoid the big question: big level + good frame rate ? :P
I guess we could divide the map in "sectors" or "rooms" and draw only the blocks inside that room and check if the player is near other room to draw also those blocks.

I will do a stress test eventually, to check how much "punish" flixel can handle ( I consider my PC as a "hardcore gamer" one, so I expect high frame rates )  8)

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #15 on: Wed, Jun 17, 2009 »
flixel can handle a lot :)  On fairly modern hardware I was getting emitters up to about 5000 particles or so at 40+ FPS...

I didn't do anything special in Fathom really, just a little RLE on some FlxBlocks and it seemed to run fine.  I had a 20x20 grid of "large" blocks, so if I had to guess I probably had about 80 large flxblocks, with another couple hundred smaller ones to rough up the edges some maybe?  flixel can definitely handle a few hundred objects :P  It helped that I was only really colliding the robot though, the bubbles and fish just went wherever they wanted!

lechuckgl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wed, Jun 17, 2009 »
flixel can handle a lot :)  On fairly modern hardware I was getting emitters up to about 5000 particles or so at 40+ FPS...

I didn't do anything special in Fathom really, just a little RLE on some FlxBlocks and it seemed to run fine.  I had a 20x20 grid of "large" blocks, so if I had to guess I probably had about 80 large flxblocks, with another couple hundred smaller ones to rough up the edges some maybe?  flixel can definitely handle a few hundred objects :P  It helped that I was only really colliding the robot though, the bubbles and fish just went wherever they wanted!

Neet ! I'll try to push it to the limits then. Now I have a start point  ;D

Deadheat

« Reply #17 on: Mon, Jul 20, 2009 »
Just a quick question. Is the game supposed to be completed when entering the light? Or am I missing something.

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #18 on: Mon, Jul 20, 2009 »
nope that's the end :)  tis a mighty short game!

Rybar

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thu, Oct 15, 2009 »

Any ideas as to why I'm getting this? I've tried 3 different browsers, clearing my cache, etc... I want to play!  I played for a minute at work, but no sound there.