Author Topic: Canabalt iOS Code Fork - Picking Up Chicks Is Hard When Your Car Is A BMX  (Read 2625 times)

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
    • Initials Blog. Code and other things.
Hi everyone,

I've forked Canabalt into a new game called Picking Up Chicks Is Hard When Your Car Is A BMX.

The code is available to edit and change, the graphics and music are all licensed with Creative Commons so you can use and remix them.

The game code remains with all rights belonging to Semi Secret.

It's an interesting way to see what happens when you start tweaking a game that obviously works well, thinking that you could make it better by adding this or that. This explores the reality of the notion you always have when playing a game. Gamers are always saying "This could be better if..."

The game is an iOS version of my Flash game Picking Up Chicks Is Hard When Your Car Is A BMX. It adds the following features to the code:
        * Tricks (swipe to do tricks, different directions are different tricks, double swipes are super tricks eg backflips, front flips, tail whips)
        * Accelerometer
                * For controlling speed.
                * Also to tweak tricks for extra points.
        * Local high score.
        * Power Ups
        * Swipe to throw 'girls you have picked up' at targets.
        * Jumping off ramps.
        * All original sounds/music/art.

It's all available for download here:
https://github.com/initials/

It's also on the app store:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/picking-up-chicks-is-hard/id423757491?mt=8&ls=1

Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart

IQpierce

• Gamewright
    • View Profile
    • Deep Plaid Games
Awesome! Is this officially the first "3rd-party" (non-Semi-Secret) Flixel game on the app store?

If you're comfortable with it, you should share your experience on the App Store! I put out a $.99 game last year that gets about one sale a day at this point - which is a bit depressing. I'm hoping that I can do a bit better with the current (Flixel) game I'm developing!
I'm just one guy trying to make some interesting decisions!

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
    • Initials Blog. Code and other things.
I think it is the first.

I don't know about promoting it too heavily, because it is heavily based on Canabalt. That said, it's been given the blessing to go ahead by Semi Secret, so let's see how it goes.

It gets about 1 sale a day so far too.

What was your game?
Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart