Author Topic: Resource List for Flixel iOS  (Read 5669 times)

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
    • Initials Blog. Code and other things.
Resource List for Flixel iOS
« on: Tue, Apr 5, 2011 »
Alright! We've got our own area now.

Let's get down to business. Currently resources for Flixel iOS are scattered all over the place because we haven't had a centralized place to communicate.

Here is a list of resources we currently have:

Canabalt code for iOS download
https://github.com/ericjohnson/canabalt-ios/tree/master/flixel-ios

Flixel iOS Hello World template for Xcode 3. Xcode 4 currently has no template
https://github.com/bigjko/Flx-iOS-template

FlxiOSInvaders code:
https://github.com/initials/FlxiOSInvaders

Picking Up Chicks is Hard When Your Car Is A BMX code/ Canabalt fork
https://github.com/initials/Picking-Up-Chicks-Is-Hard-When-Your-Car-Is-A-BMX

iOS Canabalt Problems/Solutions thread
http://flixel.org/forums/index.php?topic=2904.0

Blog post about resources available.
http://initialscommand.com/main/?p=54

Some misc. stuff:
When make particles for a FlxEmitter, don't use baked rotations, it turns your particles black. iOS is good with transforms anyway, there is no need for blitting.

Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart

axcho

• View Profile
    • Evolution Live!
Re: Resource List for Flixel iOS
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Apr 8, 2011 »
I've been working on the baked rotations thing.

The reason it doesn't work is that createGraphic won't give you a unique bitmap - so there's no texture on which to blit the baked versions of the sprite. Thus, the sprite renders as a black rectangle.

I think I got the unique bitmaps thing to work, but baked rotations still doesn't do anything - only now it's totally transparent, instead of black.

After doing that work, this tweet was discouraging "@initials_games shouldn't use baked rotation on iOS anyways tho, better to CPU transform I think..." but if I can't get baked rotations to work, it probably means there's still an issue with createGraphic, which I need to fix anyway. So I'll keep at it.

By the way, I've been doing a lot of stuff on Flixel iOS that I've not released yet because it's not finished, but hopefully soon we'll get a lot of that on the resource list too (renamed methods, Xcode 4 templates, etc.).

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sat, Apr 9, 2011 »
Nice work.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've done with it.

I'm working on a way to switch music tracks after one has finished playing.
Currently, when you call [FlxG playMusicWithParam1: ] it just sets looping = -1. So it just loops until you play something else. But what I wanted to do was check to see whether the song was over, then change to a new track. It works, but there is a tiny pause.
Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart

lentos88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sun, May 1, 2011 »
Is flixel written in xcode for the iOS?  I'm still doing research for my companies app and I heard that they are usually written in xcode.  Is this the best way to create an app, or should we be looking into another computer language to write our app in? 

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sun, May 1, 2011 »
Flixel iOS is written in Objective C.
Xcode is the IDE.
If you want to create for the iPhone Obj-C is the main way. There are others such as the Flash CS5 exporter, Unity and others.

chriseriksson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sat, Jul 16, 2011 »

Hey Guys,
Firstly great job with where this is going! I was wondering if anyone knows anything about if there is/or is coming a tilemap feature for the ios port? It's one of many features that makes flixel what it is for flash!

Thanks,
C

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sat, Jul 16, 2011 »
You can create FlxTileblocks.
Are you talking about create a level from a png or csv? If so I have written it, although it works a little differently to the Flash version because of the limited memory on iOS.
On the Flash version Flixel will drop down a separate tile for each time it encounters a black pixel or number 1. I had to change that because it was horribly slow so that I now drop down a pixel in a png and set the red channel to the number of blocks across and the green pixel value to the number of blocks vertically and the blue channel to an arbitrary number (for storing any kind of attribute you want).
I have it working successfully in my game Super Lemonade Factory (see below). Should I post it the code?

nzahn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mon, Aug 22, 2011 »
Hey Initials,

Yes! that would be great! I admire your work btw. and the first tests I have done with flixel ios so far is the same problem - no flxtilemap; I checked out the Mode game and saw what you did there. Is that basically the same with the LemonFactory game? anyways the resource would help a lot ... also which flixel-ios is up to date? There some several flixel ios versions on github ... Semi Secret software it seems does not want to update the iOS engine, am I right? 

Cheers

Nico

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mon, Aug 22, 2011 »
Hi there,
It looks like Semi Secret are not updating Flixel-iOS and have no plans to. Which is cool, it's just up to us the community to support it and see it grow.

Which flixel is up to date? That's a good question. There are many versions out there and no centralized repository for the latest and greatest.
I guess you just have to pick one and go for it. The official Semi Secret release is the original. If you want to use a Virtual Control Pad I'd go with the Mode-iOS version.

As for FlxTileMap I'll do a post explaining how I get a similar function. The code is a bit messy but it works.

I've posted a separate topic about how Super Lemonade Factory builds a level. You can see the results here: http://vimeo.com/26909819
« Last Edit: Mon, Aug 22, 2011 by initials »