Author Topic: v3.0 planning thread  (Read 35219 times)

danmilward

• View Profile
Re: v3.0 planning thread
« Reply #40 on: Mon, Jul 4, 2011 »
What about the GPU acceleration stuff here: http://www.willemrenevanvliet.nl/?page_id=198

alejoamiras

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tue, Jul 12, 2011 »
Hey Adam, what have you thought about adding the method to change the point of rotation to the FlxObjects--->FlxSprites in v3.0?

I really need that to my new Flixel Game lol (anyway I solved it resizing the image but it really sucks ! haha) !!!

And I Think it can be really usefull ! :D:D

So, let us know what else is the very best API of all internet its gonna have :D !!!

Congratz on ur work done .

EDIT: And what about creating ComboBoxes and Radiobuttons ? - I think we can not do that yet -
« Last Edit: Wed, Jul 13, 2011 by alejoamiras »

zuperxtreme

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Buddah
« Reply #42 on: Fri, Aug 12, 2011 »
Isn't the offset the "point of rotation"?

..."without order nothing exists, without chaos nothing evolves"... 
Zoklet.net

John Hutchinson (Johntron247)

• Commodore 256
  • Contributor
  • I can has lazerz?
    • View Profile
    • Level X Games
« Reply #43 on: Fri, Aug 12, 2011 »
What about the GPU acceleration stuff here: http://www.willemrenevanvliet.nl/?page_id=198

Seconded!  Those of use trying to use flixel to do anything worthwhile on mobile devices are seriously working against the grain.   I'm still loving it... just saying that flixel + mobile, as it is now, leaves a lot to be desired.
Twitter · 

Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Mon, Aug 15, 2011 »
I'm using NAPE with Flixel on my new project, and I just want to say it's really really good, however:

1. The NAPE codebase won't be finished or stable for a while given that it's undergoing a major rewrite.
2. Since NAPE is written in HaXE and imported into the flex project as a compiled swc, I think proper integration would be really messy.
3. It is so easy to use with Flixel that it's hardly worth integrating it into the flixel codebase.

I think the same thing goes for tweening: TweenLite works just fine with Flixel.

The changes I'd like to see in 3.0 relate to Flixel being a better Flixel, rather than adding big new features.
- Molehill, so we can make games with significant amounts of rotation
- More algorithmic design tools: a revamped FlxTileBlock that handles edges and corners, for example.
- Support for bitmap fonts
- Per-frame hitboxes
- Complete switch to handling sprites with their anchor at the center would make physics-integration much easier.

And one gripe: I always wind up having to change _curFrame and _curAnim to public vars. Giving the user some way to read the current animation & frame is nice if you want to chain animations together from outside the class.

Oh and make it so you can set visibility of sprites per-camera.

photonstorm

• Administrator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Photon Storm
« Reply #45 on: Mon, Aug 15, 2011 »
I love Nape and its speed, but I'm not convinced it's a good match for Flixel core - mostly for the reasons listed above. I also think that for a lot of flixel games they just don't need advanced physics, and those that do can integrate it. My concern would be getting it to work seamlessly with FlxTilemap for example.

I would much rather see Flixel 3 support a significantly more advanced Tilemap system. I want curves, slopes, ramps, etc. Also things that are important to lots of games like CCD for high speed bullets, per-frame pixel perfect collision (including separation) and definitely different target renderers (molehill, air3).

None of them small or simple :)
http://www.photonstorm.com

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and I might remember, involve me and I will understand" - Confucius

Wiering

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thu, Aug 25, 2011 »
Code: [Select]
// in FlxTilemap
        private var _tileAccessBehavior:int = TILE_ACCESS_BEHAVIOR_NORMAL;

public static const TILE_ACCESS_BEHAVIOR_NORMAL:int            = 0;
        public static const TILE_ACCESS_BEHAVIOR_WRAP:int              = 1;
        public static const TILE_ACCESS_BEHAVIOR_ZEROES_AFTER_EDGE:int = 2;
        public static const TILE_ACCESS_BEHAVIOR_REPEATING_EDGE:int    = 3;

It's far more flexible if you allow separate behavior for X and Y.

Another one that I often use would be TILE_ACCESS_BEHAVIOR_MIRROR, where every other copy of the map is mirrored.
This should have the option to also mirror the tiles or not.

c023-DeV

• Game Artisan
    • View Profile
    • DeV-ZoO
« Reply #47 on: Thu, Sep 1, 2011 »
... things that are important to lots of games like CCD for high speed bullets...

Aaah, so the "tunneling" I am experiencing wit the Weapons would be reduced?! Yeah, Im currently working around that by offseting the game and flash framerates, hrhrh, works somehow and gives me some fast bullets but no ultra speed =D

Oh, yeah I'm in for the Molehill GPU accellerations and stuff but want to also clearly say no to 3D or fancy stuff... Flixel is Flixel and shall stay Flixel, you know what I mean, luvin the Fixels =D
« Last Edit: Thu, Sep 1, 2011 by c023-DeV »
If you aint got no dedication, you won't get no education!

John Hutchinson (Johntron247)

• Commodore 256
  • Contributor
  • I can has lazerz?
    • View Profile
    • Level X Games
« Reply #48 on: Wed, Sep 7, 2011 »
The ability to load an external image file into a Class object would be REALLY handy!  That way we can dynamically load sprites and tilesets without too much trouble.

I'm doing that now and it's a real pain the way it's currently set up because both the sprites and function to load maps only accept a Class.
Twitter · 

KWarp

• Game Programmer
    • View Profile
    • kwarp.com
« Reply #49 on: Wed, Sep 21, 2011 »
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

Cadwallader

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wed, Oct 5, 2011 »
FlxTilemap's ray() really need some fixing! It's jumping through a lot of corners!
« Last Edit: Wed, Oct 19, 2011 by Cadwallader »

producerism

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Fri, Oct 7, 2011 »
a lot of flixel games they just don't need advanced physics, and those that do can integrate it....

... I want curves, slopes, ramps, etc. Also things that are important to lots of games like CCD for high speed bullets...

Unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems that the integration of a physics engine like NAPE would directly address the requests for curves/slopes/ramps/etc.  I realize the context was regarding tilemaps, but couldn't each tile have an optional { shape: [#,#,#,#] } property to be used for physics?

I know, I know, easier said than done!  However, as others have mentioned about MoleHill integration, the sooner the better, because adding all the features that come along with it will make some of the previously added features redundant or obsolete.  It seems this is the same case with NAPE.  If lots of time is put into improving the existing "physics" engine, isn't a good portion of that time wasted when a proper physics engine is implemented?

Vania

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thu, Dec 1, 2011 »
I dont think it's a good idea to keep adding stuff to the core indefinitely, it's going to become a monster.

The priority now should be to add ways of extending the core dynamically.
Plugins are very simple yet some people like Photonstorm are already doing great things with it, imagine what this awesome community would do if given more power!
Something like components for adding functionality to game objects and making it easier to share and reuse our code...

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
    • Initials Blog. Code and other things.
« Reply #53 on: Wed, Dec 7, 2011 »
I'm using NAPE with Flixel on my new project, and I just want to say it's really really good, however:

Do you have a sample project of this? I can't get NAPE to run with Flixel.
Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart

Vania

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Fri, Dec 16, 2011 »
Another cool thing would be parenting.
Being able to add children to objects like in Unity3D,
that would mean using transform matrices instead of x, y, angle.

foosety

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Mon, Dec 19, 2011 »
I would much rather see Flixel 3 support a significantly more advanced Tilemap system. I want curves, slopes, ramps, etc. Also things that are important to lots of games like CCD for high speed bullets, per-frame pixel perfect collision (including separation) and definitely different target renderers (molehill, air3).

+ 1 for this

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #56 on: Mon, Dec 19, 2011 »
1- I think iOS development should be more possible, I have no idea how but people at Stencyl are doing it somehow.
2- I had a lot of problems making a shotgun for flixel, apparently the quad tree has problems with collision detection of small objects that are next to each other.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

pixelomatic

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Mon, Dec 19, 2011 »
1- I think iOS development should be more possible, I have no idea how but people at Stencyl are doing it somehow.
2- I had a lot of problems making a shotgun for flixel, apparently the quad tree has problems with collision detection of small objects that are next to each other.

That:
The reason for the simultaneous timing is that, under the hood, we’re working on a brand-new engine that will let all Stencyl games share a common codebase, work consistently on each platform, and be exported in the platform’s “native” code, whether it be Objective-C, Java or JavaScript.
Taken from: http://blog.stencyl.com/?p=448

I believe, conversion between as3 and Objective-C is needed for that purpose.
« Last Edit: Mon, Dec 19, 2011 by pixelomatic »

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #58 on: Mon, Dec 19, 2011 »
That:Taken from: http://blog.stencyl.com/?p=448

I believe, conversion between as3 and Objective-C is needed for that purpose.

I don't know if you are aware or not but there is a iOS port of flixel that Adam used/wrote for Canabalt and some other unannounced game but the development is not maintained much, our very own initials can talk to you days about how hard it is to work on it when there is no one there beside you.

I think it should get a kick and people will follow afterwards.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
    • Initials Blog. Code and other things.
« Reply #59 on: Mon, Dec 19, 2011 »
I don't know if you are aware or not but there is a iOS port of flixel that Adam used/wrote for Canabalt and some other unannounced game but the development is not maintained much, our very own initials can talk to you days about how hard it is to work on it when there is no one there beside you.

I think it should get a kick and people will follow afterwards.

I think there is a pretty high barrier to iOS development which is keeping people out.
I'd love it if more people joined in on the iOS side but the equipment is expensive.
Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart