Author Topic: v3.0 planning thread  (Read 35207 times)

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
Re: v3.0 planning thread
« Reply #60 on: Mon, Dec 19, 2011 »
I think there is a pretty high barrier to iOS development which is keeping people out.
I'd love it if more people joined in on the iOS side but the equipment is expensive.

I can manage to borrow devices if it was for a limited time but I don't think that would suffice.

I'm really thinking about iOS/Android after my current game and really would love to do it with flixel by coming to that lonely little place of this forum that apparently there is only you! Because I will probably make another platformer and don't want to see all these experience with flixel waste away but it seems flixel and iOS are not taht good together, as you know way better than me.

I'm getting off-topic here but I'm wondering how Adam manages to use flixel for iOS when it's hard for like everyone else.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Mon, Dec 19, 2011 »
I'm really thinking about iOS/Android after my current game and really would love to do it with flixel by coming to that lonely little place of this forum that apparently there is only you! Because I will probably make another platformer and don't want to see all these experience with flixel waste away but it seems flixel and iOS are not taht good together, as you know way better than me.

I'm sorry for intruding this thread but I want to present my port of flixel v2.55 to haxe which works on flash, iOS and Android (and native Windows, Mac and Linux app). I think that it might interest you because haxe's syntax is very similar to actionscript and thus it's easy to develop crossplatform 2d games with it.
Project repository can be found here: https://github.com/Beeblerox/HaxeFlixel
Compiled version of Mode demo (windows only) can be downloaded here: https://github.com/downloads/Beeblerox/HaxeFlixel/ModeDemo20122011.zip
« Last Edit: Tue, Dec 20, 2011 by zaphod »

John Hutchinson (Johntron247)

• Commodore 256
  • Contributor
  • I can has lazerz?
    • View Profile
    • Level X Games
« Reply #62 on: Tue, Dec 20, 2011 »
I'm sorry for intruding this thread but I want to present my port of flixel v2.55 to haxe which works on flash, iOS and Android (and native Windows, Mac and Linux app). I think that it might interest you because haxe's syntax is very similar to actionscript and thus it's easy to develop crossplatform 2d games with it.
Project repository can be found here: https://github.com/Beeblerox/HaxeFlixel
Compiled version of Mode demo (windows only) can be downloaded here: https://github.com/downloads/Beeblerox/HaxeFlixel/ModeDemo20122011.zip

I've been hoping someone would do this!  I don't have time to check it out just now but you totally made my night.
Twitter · 

axcho

• View Profile
    • Evolution Live!
« Reply #63 on: Fri, Dec 23, 2011 »
I've been hoping someone would do this!  I don't have time to check it out just now but you totally made my night.

My thoughts exactly. :)

Thanks for the haXe port! That's a big deal - have you tried compiling to iOS yet?

John Hutchinson (Johntron247)

• Commodore 256
  • Contributor
  • I can has lazerz?
    • View Profile
    • Level X Games
« Reply #64 on: Fri, Dec 23, 2011 »
That's what I'm wondering as well.  I haven't had time to do this myself, and probably won't for a while.  I'm still very curious though
Twitter · 

zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Fri, Dec 23, 2011 »
Thanks for the haXe port! That's a big deal - have you tried compiling to iOS yet?

Unfortunately I haven't Mac or iPhone. But I will ask somebody to compile it and report here when it will be done.

xhunterko

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Mon, Jan 30, 2012 »
Handling Z order and Z rotation. Along with rotateXY support for FlxSprite.
(I think I'm using those terms correctly.)
Now on twitter: http://twitter.com/xhunterko I made a game that's in alpha you can buy here: http://xhunterko.itch.io/wave-miner-alpha

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #67 on: Thu, Feb 23, 2012 »
Is there going to be a v3?

Reptangle

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Mon, Feb 27, 2012 »
zaphod, thanks for the port! :)

However, in Mode Demo.exe, all I see for graphics is white squares, except the enemies, bullets and some background tiles. Any idea why?

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #69 on: Mon, Feb 27, 2012 »
zaphod, thanks for the port! :)

However, in Mode Demo.exe, all I see for graphics is white squares, except the enemies, bullets and some background tiles. Any idea why?

It's not hard or strange, in the constructor you set the bounding box how you like it to be. Default is to bound the smallest box it can around the image by the size you apply in constructor but later on you use height and width to adjust it and you even have offset.x and .y for fine tuning it.

Unfortunately I haven't Mac or iPhone. But I will ask somebody to compile it and report here when it will be done.

Looking forward to hear and see about it!

goshki

• View Profile
    • Vigeo Games
« Reply #70 on: Sun, Mar 18, 2012 »

I've managed to run the Haxe port (Mode demo) on Android on Nokia N900 (NITDroid).

Unfortunately it runs very slowly and sound is not working. But I haven't looked much into it so I don't know what potential improvements can be made (debris emitters are one sure source of slowdowns).

twothreetwo

• Game monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tue, May 15, 2012 »
Off the top of my head there are two things that I'd love to see:

1/ Updatable boundary boxes (used for rotating sprite collision detection).
2/ It's minor but the sprite "angle" shouldn't be tied to it's rotation. I.e. setting angle shouldn't rotate the sprite, a new var called "rotation" should do that. Makes life a little more confusing when adding physics as angle can refer to a whole host of things.

Greed

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Thu, Jan 24, 2013 »
There's any news regarding flixel v3 ?

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wed, Jan 30, 2013 »
There's any news regarding flixel v3 ?

I don't think so. :(

There's the flixel-community repo on GitHub though, which seems promising. Here's a forum thread about it.

Greed

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wed, Jan 30, 2013 »
Oh! Thank you @gama11 !

I don't know how i havent seen this before xD

But, yeah, i has hoing for stage 3D ;-;

Anyway thank s for the light, and i 'll continue to check these updates!

CrazySam

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tue, Mar 12, 2013 »
I'm getting off-topic here but I'm wondering how Adam manages to use flixel for iOS when it's hard for like everyone else.

Adam did a port of Flixel to ObjectiveC, from scratch. My guess is that he ported only the critical code he needed to get Canabalt and subsequent games working on iOS, so he doesn't want to release the code because it doesn't have feature parity with flash Flixel. Or maybe he doesn't want Flixel users to flood the iOS market with low quality ports, cause he knows the iOS market has a big problem with discoverability and flooding the market with Flash game ports would only make it worst.

I've been using HaxeFlixel for a while now though, and I can't recommend it enough for mobile and desktop 2D game development. It's true that Haxe isn't as user friendly as Actionscript, and that NME has some issues (notably, horrible sound support on Android), but I've been blown away by Zaphod's efforts to optimize HaxeFlixel, as well as the contributions that key members have been making to the engine. We have all of photonstoms plugins as well as new classes and features added by the community.

Because HaxeFlixel has distanced itself from Adam's "official" Flixel codebase, we are free to grow and evolve, and make important changes to the engine in order to boost performance and make it friendlier for mobile development.

I'm not one of those people that say "Flash is dead", but there's no arguing that the market for Flash games is no longer growing, and most Flash game companies are jumping ship to mobile or HTML5. My advice is to ride that wave and move on to another framework. But if you really love Flixel like I do, and want to continue using it, join the HaxeFlixel community, and come discover what Haxe is all about.

Just make sure  read the HaxeFlixel docs and spend some time familiarizing yourself with the Haxe + NME workflow, before going to the HaxeFlixel forums for help.
« Last Edit: Tue, Mar 12, 2013 by CrazySam »

paala

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wed, Mar 13, 2013 »
Hey, Canabalt is open source in I OS.
And your post is kind of advertising of Haxe...
Personally I saw a flixel game made with adobe air that runs super smooth on my 75$ tablet.
So why use Haxe when Adobe air does a pretty good job?

Charlie Riot

• Highly Super
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thu, Mar 14, 2013 »
So why use Haxe when Adobe air does a pretty good job?

You just answered your own question. "Pretty good" is not necessarily something developers strive for.

–That being said, I'm personally sticking with Flash Flixel for a while. The support is brilliant, and my only issues with it are performance-related, though even those could be inefficient code on my part. The way I see it, both Haxe Flixel and Flash Flixel are downright amazing, but one feels like an evolution of the other.
« Last Edit: Thu, Mar 14, 2013 by Charlie Riot »