Author Topic: Flixel Contest?  (Read 2785 times)

Titch

• Contributor
  • Thing with the guy in the place.
    • View Profile
Flixel Contest?
« on: Thu, Sep 24, 2009 »
I've been thinking, wouldn't it be neat to have some kind of games making contest to promote Flixel? Like the best game made in five days using flixel or something. In fact it would probably be ideal for a 24 hour contest because the Framework accelerates everything so much.
Free cake whippings every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

Richard Kain

• View Profile
Re: Flixel Contest?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Sep 25, 2009 »
I am open to the possibility. But I'm actually using Flixel right now for the Zero Punctuation game contest. So I am not going to be available for any other contests until after October 19th.

SeiferTim

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Tim's World
« Reply #2 on: Fri, Sep 25, 2009 »
I was just thinking about this, too.
Something like Ludum Dare, but Flixel only... I'd try to enter.
I'm sure that if something like this was to take place, everyone would have ample notice ahead of time - like December or something lol

nitram_cero (2bam)

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • 2BAM
« Reply #3 on: Fri, Sep 25, 2009 »
I think for the first batch of contests it would be nice to have more time, like a week at least. That way interesed-in-Flixel people would get time to learn it and even make a game!

I like the idea, should we have some voting on the topic of the contest?

Best regards
-Martín

mklee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Fri, Sep 25, 2009 »
A week-long contest (say from Sunday to Sunday) wouldn't be a bad idea.

As for themes, for the first contest we should keep things relatively simple and something that aligns itself well with Flixel. Maybe like "tower"/vertical platformer.

Merve

« Reply #5 on: Fri, Sep 25, 2009 »
Or maybe even friday to monday, with two weekends.

I like this idea. (Imagine if the theme was a zoom of 10, or you had to complete the game without using sprites, all colored blocks  ;))

jellybit

« Reply #6 on: Sat, Sep 26, 2009 »
I love this idea too.  Competitions are one of my favorite things in game development.  Some of the coolest ideas come out of it.  I also vote for a week+ development time.  But I think we need a decent amount of "heads-up" time, so we can make sure our schedule is clear, even if the theme isn't given.  Perhaps we can start a thread to try to brainstorm a good theme, while saying all along when the competition would take place.  Then we'd know to make sure we're free at that time.

One of my first games was for Poppenkast's 2 hour game development competitions.  I learned a whole lot on that one, but what I liked is that it was done on the honor system.  We had multiple days to submit an entry, but the developer had to have only spent 2 hours on it from beginning to end.

Anyway, just throwing out some ideas.  Any kind of competition would be welcome by me.

nitram_cero (2bam)

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • 2BAM
« Reply #7 on: Sat, Sep 26, 2009 »
Perhaps the contest can be made in a weekend, but the press should start earlier so people can get a grasp on flixel before the topic is disclosed (sort of like LudumDare).

Anyhow, one week seems pretty damn fine to me.

A nice contest topic would be "Mode hacks", what do you think? ;D

SeiferTim

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Tim's World
« Reply #8 on: Sat, Sep 26, 2009 »
Perhaps the contest can be made in a weekend, but the press should start earlier so people can get a grasp on flixel before the topic is disclosed (sort of like LudumDare).

Anyhow, one week seems pretty damn fine to me.

A nice contest topic would be "Mode hacks", what do you think? ;D

Mode hacks would be interesting - you could be limited to only the assets in Mode, and you'd have to make enough interesting changes to the game to 'win' while staying true to the original game play (turning it into a top-down rpg would probably not count...)

I'd like to get Adam's take on it.

jellybit

« Reply #9 on: Sun, Sep 27, 2009 »
Mode hacks would be interesting - you could be limited to only the assets in Mode, and you'd have to make enough interesting changes to the game to 'win' while staying true to the original game play (turning it into a top-down rpg would probably not count...)

I'd like to get Adam's take on it.

I adore hack contests, but usually the fun in those is how people hack the game to be crazy different than it normally is.  If part of the intent is to raise awareness of Flixel, "adjust and be true to this example game" won't really cut it in my opinion.  Most (all?) of a competition's press comes after the fact, when the entrants are in, and one or more stand out as awesome games (gets posted on Kotaku, etc...).  It's then that people get interested and join the next competition.  If the results aren't much different than each other, people will form a more limited view of the engine and move on, I feel.  Hell, even as an entrant, I kinda wouldn't want to play a bunch of very similar games with rule tweaks.

nitram_cero (2bam)

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • 2BAM
« Reply #10 on: Tue, Sep 29, 2009 »
I agree with JellyBit... like, it should have a resemblance (same sprites/tileset/sounds) but if it goes nuts and become a rainbow-coloured wolf3d clone... I'd be really happy testing that game!