Author Topic: v2.50 demo activity  (Read 11853 times)

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
v2.50 demo activity
« on: Tue, Apr 26, 2011 »
Hey flixelers!  I am wrapping up the new website, and one of the things it will have (among many others!) is a FEATURES page.  It will look something like this hasty mockup, sort of:

The idea is to create some nice little interactive demos, kind of like this one on the tweenlite homepage (scroll down to the Interactive Demo section).  While I can create all these demos myself, I thought this would be a cool opportunity for some community involvement.  I can and probably will create at least a few of these just to serve as examples for the other examples, if that makes sense...

HOWEVER, because these are forward-facing, public, sanctioned demos, there are some fairly strict requirements:
  • Demos must run in 400x300 resolution (pref. w/ 1x zoom)
  • Source code must be open (pref. on github or other browsable site), and the actual demo logic contained in a single FlxState.
  • Code should be clearly and heavily commented and well-organized.
  • Keeping the demo up-to-date will be YOUR responsibility
  • Use as few embedded resources as possible to keep load times down
  • Since there will be multiple SWF files on one page, demos should should have a simple "title screen" state that clears on mouse click (like FlxTeroids), that runs at a lower game and flash player framerate than the actual demo

UPDATE: there is now a simple template project that you can download that has most of these specs set up already.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.  Like the TweenLite demo, I think these demos will be best served with mouse-driven, checkbox-y style behaviors.  Just simple, focused mini-apps that show off a specific feature and thus provide good source code or samples for other developers, especially beginners.

Have I scared you off yet??  If not, here are the general feature areas that I think would benefit from having demos:

I am totally open to more ideas, though these kinds of specialized or focused topics are the ones that will benefit most from these micro-demos and their accompanying explanations.  As always I'd be happy to answer any questions about the guidelines or look over submissions, and I'm looking forward to seeing this stuff come together!  Hope you guys had a good holiday weekend and I'm looking forward to Ludum Dare 20 this weekend!
« Last Edit: Tue, May 3, 2011 by Adam Atomic »

carls

• View Profile
Re: v2.50 demo activity
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Apr 26, 2011 »
I'm excited to see this new site =)

goshki

• View Profile
    • Vigeo Games
« Reply #2 on: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 »
Would you be interested in Flixel/LuaAlchemy integration example? I'll be doing such demo anyway so I could make a bare-bones example for Features page. Or maybe that would rather fit into some kind of advanced examples page?

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 »
that sounds awesome but that might be better suited to the flash game dojo wiki?

axcho

• View Profile
    • Evolution Live!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 »
I'll probably be focusing on my Flox2D plugin for now... I'd be glad to make a demo for it, but since it involves additional code files it might not be appropriate for this list.

Either way though, could you just announce a particular framerate you want for the MenuState? Better than hoping everyone happens upon the right one.

Even better, could you just release an example MenuState that has the graphical style and information and formatting you want us to display?

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #5 on: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 »
yea actually making a demo template project is a really good idea, i will do that right now!

ok here you go: https://github.com/AdamAtomic/FeaturesTemplate

updated the top post to link it as well, thanks for the idea :)
« Last Edit: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 by Adam Atomic »

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
    • Initials Blog. Code and other things.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 »
First of all, everything that is new is fantastic!

One area that seems to be lacking documentation and a demo is score and scores. I know they are used in FlxInvaders, but I think just a quick explanation of each would really benefit Flixel. Most games have scores, right?

[edit] specifically, scores is an Array, and how that works, what to do with it would be great. score is pretty straight forward. [edit]
« Last Edit: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 by initials »
Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #7 on: Thu, Apr 28, 2011 »
i'm not sure what to say about it really, its not really for anything in particular, just for putting stuff in if you feel like.  doesn't have any automatic behavior or anything, just a container for stuff that is common...

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #8 on: Fri, Apr 29, 2011 »
This is pretty awesome you guys, we have three demos started already! You can check em out on the features page http://flixel.org/features.html (groups and tilemaps should be up in a few minutes anyways) Feel free to give feedback or fork the projects to help make them as awesome as possible :)
« Last Edit: Mon, May 2, 2011 by Adam Atomic »

phmongeau

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Fri, Apr 29, 2011 »
I'm trying to make a split screen demo.

It's almost finished, but I can't figure out a good way to add a border to the FlxCameras. I tried using a big FlxSprite, but it lowers the frame rate way to much.

Anyone has an better idea?

Here's what I've got so far (without borders)

edit: source code
« Last Edit: Fri, Apr 29, 2011 by phmongeau »

mightiest_hero

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sat, Apr 30, 2011 »
Hi Adam,
I'm already creating tutorial for pathfinding maybe you want to add my tutorial in features. I'm still new in svn or git so please guide me. this the link
http://code.google.com/p/flixel-tutorial/
Thanks

phmongeau

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sat, Apr 30, 2011 »
Unless someone as an idea they want me to add, I think I'm done with the split screen demo. :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67075/SplitScreen/testpage.html (Same link as before)

source

I added a quit button and tinted the cameras to differentiate them.

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #12 on: Sat, Apr 30, 2011 »
i'll post split-screen tomorrow!  for now passing out, LD48 burnout oooofff

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #13 on: Sun, May 1, 2011 »
i'm posting this to the page now - what I'll do (like I did witht he other ones) is I will host the SWF, and provide links to the source code, but it will be up to you to just email or twitter me a new SWF should the demo change so much form community feedback that the SWF doesn't really loook like the source code anymore.  otherwise it's fine for the SWF and the repo to be slightly out of sync :)

TestSubject06

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sun, May 1, 2011 »
I just finished a FlxSave demo. Will probably do the Debugger demo either tomorrow when I get home from class, or Tuesday
Stuff.

deadkidsong

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sun, May 1, 2011 »
I am working on a replay demo and almost finished. I am trying to upload it to githud now(I am new to that.)

UPDATE

Checkout github.com/deadkidsong/Flixel_Replay_DEMO/

record and replay keyboard input
Not 100% exact somewhow, I think it is because of physics or sth about multi-input at same frame.
« Last Edit: Mon, May 2, 2011 by deadkidsong »

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #16 on: Mon, May 2, 2011 »
Awesome progress so far you guys!  Remember, to make these demos as awesome as possible, I want to encourage community feedback regarding both the demo and the demo's source code!  These things are turning out pretty great, but I know Flixel wouldn't be as good without other sets of eyes looking it over :)
« Last Edit: Tue, May 3, 2011 by Adam Atomic »

deadkidsong

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mon, May 2, 2011 »
UPDATE on the replay demo

blue block(keyboard) works good now
but I also intended to record and replay mouse's position, but I had problem: http://flixel.org/forums/index.php?topic=3787.0

Current progress: http://megaswf.com/serve/1106974

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #18 on: Mon, May 2, 2011 »
coming along really nicely!  i replied to your thread in help, i hope it... helps :)

deadkidsong

• View Profile