Author Topic: Questions about EZPlatformer Tutorial  (Read 1673 times)

JackThaedos

• View Profile
Questions about EZPlatformer Tutorial
« on: Mon, May 2, 2011 »
Hi everyone. After taking a long break from Flixel and Flash in general, I've returned to see lots of new developments (such as the DAME map editor) which encouraged me enough to try and give this one more go.

I just completed Photonstorm's Tip #6: http://www.photonstorm.com/archives/1200/flash-game-dev-tip-6-setting-up-flashdevelop-and-flixel-for-the-first-time

and got through it fine (other than that annoying error with FlxGame, which I looked up the solution to and dealt with already). However, now I tried moving on to EZPlatformer: http://flashgamedojo.com/wiki/index.php?title=EZPlatformer_%28Flixel%29

...and I just wanted to know if this tutorial is compatible with the current release of Flixel, and if you guys recommend it for continueing my Flixel education? One of the reasons I quit before was due to how much trouble I had working with some of the out-of-date tutorials.

Another question I had is regarding the start of the tutorial itself. In it, it tells me to make the Main.as class extend FlxGame, but I would rather follow Photostorm's example of using Main.as separate from the class extending FlxGame. Do you think I could do this and still follow most of the Flixel tutorials out there fine, or should I do it exactly as it describes?

I'm not a programmer. I'm an artist and designer who just happens to be able to program, and wants to learn to program the right way. Any other advice you can give me to get started making my own games would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
- Kurosai of Thaedos LLC

photonstorm

• Administrator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Photon Storm
Re: Questions about EZPlatformer Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: Mon, May 2, 2011 »
That tutorial looks like it has been updated for 2.5 because it's using the new makeGraphic change and the create methods no longer have calls to super() in them, so I'd say you're good to go with it.

Re: your first point about Main.as - if you want to do it the same way as in my tutorial then where the tutorial talks about Main.as just replace that with YourGame.as - the code is exactly the same.
http://www.photonstorm.com

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and I might remember, involve me and I will understand" - Confucius

JackThaedos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mon, May 2, 2011 »
That tutorial looks like it has been updated for 2.5 because it's using the new makeGraphic change and the create methods no longer have calls to super() in them, so I'd say you're good to go with it.

Re: your first point about Main.as - if you want to do it the same way as in my tutorial then where the tutorial talks about Main.as just replace that with YourGame.as - the code is exactly the same.

Thanks for the reply Photonstorm! Good to know that it's probably up to date. I'll get started on it tomorrow.

Regarding replacing Main.as... I assume you mean: using the project Goodbye Cruel World as a template, I leave Main.as as is (it adds FirstGame.as, which extends FlxGame), and replacing FirstGame.as with the code in the EZPlatform tutorial that refers to Main.as?
- Kurosai of Thaedos LLC

photonstorm

• Administrator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Photon Storm
« Reply #3 on: Mon, May 2, 2011 »
Yup, exactly that.
http://www.photonstorm.com

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and I might remember, involve me and I will understand" - Confucius

JackThaedos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mon, May 2, 2011 »
Thanks again Photonstorm. That sets my mind at ease. :)  Now I can look forward to more Flixel-learning tomorrow.
- Kurosai of Thaedos LLC