Author Topic: [Released] flixel 2 android  (Read 19063 times)

twothreetwo

• Game monkey
    • View Profile
Re: [Released] flixel 2 android
« Reply #40 on: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 »
First of all, this is awesome! I just started building a game using your port yesterday and it's working brilliantly so thanks!

One minor bug I've noticed is that FlxSprite animations don't seem to work unless both Animated and Reverse booleans in loadGraphic are set to true. As soon as I set Reverse to false the animation doesn't work.

twothreetwo

• Game monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tue, Mar 29, 2011 »
Hi all,

I'm stumped on how change the current State. At the moment I have this inside my menu state:

public void update()
{
   if (playStateButton.getPressed())
   {
      FlxG.setState(PlayState.class);
   }

super.update();
}

The error I get is "PlayState failed to instantiate". Anyone else having/had similar issues?

twothreetwo

• Game monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wed, Mar 30, 2011 »
Hi all,

I'm stumped on how change the current State. At the moment I have this inside my menu state:

public void update()
{
   if (playStateButton.getPressed())
   {
      FlxG.setState(PlayState.class);
   }

super.update();
}

The error I get is "PlayState failed to instantiate". Anyone else having/had similar issues?

So having run a few tests on this it looks like a memory issue. It seems that every graphic I load in uses up an amount of memory until eventually the app crashes :(. Does anyone know of a way round this problem?

Wing Eraser

« Reply #43 on: Wed, Mar 30, 2011 »
Canvas is the problem. A full size canvas (depends on resolution) consumes to much memory and it won't be gabarge collected (maybe it won't even garbage collected at all due the living variables).

Don't expect to create a (fully) working game with v0.1.
Solution = OpenGL.

twothreetwo

• Game monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thu, Mar 31, 2011 »
Canvas is the problem. A full size canvas (depends on resolution) consumes to much memory and it won't be gabarge collected (maybe it won't even garbage collected at all due the living variables).

Don't expect to create a (fully) working game with v0.1.
Solution = OpenGL.

Bugger :(. Any news on when v0.2. will be avaliable? I'm going to look into OpenGL as well but will need to start from the ground up as my knowledge of the API is minimal.

Wing Eraser

« Reply #45 on: Thu, Mar 31, 2011 »
There won't be any updates for a while. I'm working on an other project and I've accepted a full time job. I've to re-study .NET for my job. So there is no chance working on flixel-android.

It seems the download of flixel-android has increased in a short time. I think a member of this community made some attention on other community websites. Still I haven't receive any message for helping me on OpenGL.

It's been 3 months (I think) that I've work on flixelA. I made some progress, but broke something. Then a project came in and disturbs it. I forgot what I've done.

If you are into OpenGL, try to rip this and implement it in flixelA:
SpriteRenderTest
« Last Edit: Thu, Mar 31, 2011 by Wing Eraser »

FiestaSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tue, Apr 5, 2011 »
You're awesome for doing what you've done so far. Trust me, If I knew how, I would work on the OpenGL. Hope someone experienced sees this message and is inspired to work on it. Great Engine so far :D

TahGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wed, Apr 6, 2011 »
What would be nice is a fork of this port specifically for PCs and such. If it was done, this Android port and Desktop fork would be able to convert each other's code easily.

zanardi

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tue, Apr 12, 2011 »
W. Eraser,

Really, thanks for the adventure of porting Flixel. I got an android 2.2 device that does not run flash because it uses an arm v6 processor, and flash player 10 works only on arm v7...

But the unique solution for the problem is using openGl? Wish I could help more.

zanardi

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wed, Apr 13, 2011 »
any clues on why the test example 5 gets slower when a button is pressed?

FiestaSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sat, Apr 16, 2011 »
Well, Just asked him and apparently until W.E gets some time Ill be working on my implementation of  OpenGL, If I get it functioning then I will see if I can post it here. But itll take a while, so dont expect anything soon :O

twothreetwo

• Game monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 »
Well, Just asked him and apparently until W.E gets some time Ill be working on my implementation of  OpenGL, If I get it functioning then I will see if I can post it here. But itll take a while, so dont expect anything soon :O

Nice one! I'm working with the ios port at the moment but as soon as it's done I'll be coming back to the android port to see if I can get the OpenGL working as well.

Seriously keen on having both ios and android ports :)

badlogic

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thu, Apr 28, 2011 »
Hi there,

someone pointed out that Flixel might need some help with its Android port. I think i might have something that could make your life a lot easier.

For the past year a couple of people and me developed a lib called libgdx (yeah, i have yet to create a proper web site for it. I'm a coder not a web-designer...). It's a cross-platform (win,lin,max,android) Java game development framework based on OpenGL ES and already has a couple of games made with it on the market and a pretty active community. It has a ****ton of utility classes, especially for 2D graphics. You could base your Flixel port on it and have a free desktop version as well!

I currently can't commit on helping directly with the port, but i'd be glad to see the maintainer of this project to pick up our stuff and use it! We give support on our forums and since you are the awesome Flixel guys i'd even let you e-mail me :) Kev Glass, creator of the well-known Slick2D Java game dev library went the same route and it worked out well for him.

Just a word of caution: just "porting" to OpenGL ES will not immediately guarantee super awesome performance, a rather common fallacy. There are some rules you have to follow if you enter the GPU accelerated graphics world. I can help out with quite some knowledge on that end. The client of the Flixel API can mostly be shielded from that.

<3 Flixel,
Mario (libgdx overlord)

Wing Eraser

« Reply #53 on: Sun, May 1, 2011 »
Hi badlogic,
It would be awesome if we can get help to implement flixel-android with libgdx. If I got the time, I'll definitely take a look and try libgdx.

Guys, don't give up yet on this project.

zanardi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Mon, May 2, 2011 »
No sir. I got hired last week to make some deadlining websites, but Im looking where I can. I asked my teacher about opengl, and he awsered: "Yes, its possible", but I think he is not used to opengl, Im on my own...

BadLogic looks like to have a very good point, but Im very new to opengl and java itself to make an opinion.