Author Topic: Multiplayer Online Framework  (Read 2345 times)

Titch

• Contributor
  • Thing with the guy in the place.
    • View Profile
Multiplayer Online Framework
« on: Sat, Oct 17, 2009 »
I want to do some experiments with some simple online multiplayer stuff in Flixel (I saw something on tigsource about a simple multiplayer level/map designer). Can anyone give me some pointers as to where to start with this stuff. SharedObjects let you share data between clients, but is it better to get some other kind of server, rather than Flash Media server?

Also anything about the best way of storing persistant data online. Is MySQL the best way to go or should I have a cache on the sever to store the persistant world information?

Oh and also if anyone is interested in helping. That would be nice too. I'm not planning to build a whole big game, but perhaps polish off a small prototype or two to get an idea about scope and feasibility.
Free cake whippings every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

vonWolfehaus

• View Profile
    • Cold Constructs
Re: Multiplayer Online Framework
« Reply #1 on: Sat, Oct 17, 2009 »
Of all the computer sciences in video games, networking is probably the hardest. That said, Adobe is working on making it easier, as well as several vendors with some API sugar.

The most promising is Adobe's Stratus. There's a bunch of tutorials and more continue to pile in. It's for Flash 10 and up.

There's Project Darkstar that's written in Java but has AS3 bindings.

There's also the networking component for the PushButton Engine (I think it can be used outside the engine) as well as nonoba's network.

Let us know what you select and how it goes. Good luck and have fun :)
Meet Obama every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.
Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/