Author Topic: Unusual resolution [Resolved]  (Read 933 times)

flushfire

• View Profile
Unusual resolution [Resolved]
« on: Wed, Jun 8, 2011 »
Game's a side-scrolling shmup, in 640x400. I started this project last year without the knowledge that 16:10 is a dying ratio lol anyway I have a 16:10 monitor so foolishly that's what I based it off of.

I'm sure it'll be alright as long as I don't plan on portability. But I at least want the possibility to be able port the game easily on at least one mobile platform, and I don't want to use black bars to do it.

Anyway, right now I think the feel of the game is perfect as is. But I'm not so far into it (maybe around 30%) so changing the resolution is still pretty viable. Right now 640x360 is the most attractive option I'm seeing, but looking at iPhones (320x480) and Androids (800x480) my current resolution is closer. Should I keep it or am I going to run into problems I am still not aware of?
« Last Edit: Mon, Jun 13, 2011 by flushfire »

cai

• Contributor
  • the illest of villains
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Cash
Re: Unusual resolution. Should I change it?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, Jun 8, 2011 »
Hopefully you can adjust the size slightly and no one will notice.  If they only play on one device, they certainly won't.  I'd say stay away from black bars at all cost.  If it means showing the player a couple more tiles to the left and right, so be it--it probably won't affect the gameplay that much!

There is a page on FlashGameDojo about common screen resolutions, but it might not tell you more than you already know.
Follow me on Twitter | Come join us at #flixel on irc.freenode.net!

flushfire

• View Profile
Re: Unusual resolution. Should I change it?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Jun 13, 2011 »
Yeah that page was what made me think about changing my project's resolution. Anyway, thanks, guess it's ok if I don't use the usual ones. Can I segue a question here I just don't want to create a separate thread for this.

Just want to know - which is faster for hand-drawn effects, Flxemitter or Flxsprite? Is there a difference in speed at all if the graphics are the same/number of effects on-screen the same?

cai

• Contributor
  • the illest of villains
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Cash
Re: Unusual resolution & Flxsprite vs Flxemitter question
« Reply #3 on: Mon, Jun 13, 2011 »
The difference would be extremely small, so just use whatever works best for you!
Follow me on Twitter | Come join us at #flixel on irc.freenode.net!

flushfire

• View Profile
Re: Unusual resolution [Resolved]
« Reply #4 on: Mon, Jun 13, 2011 »
alright, thanks again!  8)