Author Topic: NumBlock  (Read 2384 times)

tomii

• View Profile
NumBlock
« on: Wed, Jun 29, 2011 »
NumBlock

Let me present to you... NumBlock! The first game I've completed (well, almost) evar! :)

Hm... I don't know how I want to do this...
Should I let you figure out how the game works, and only tell you the controls, or do you want me to explain everything there is to know?
I think I'm just gonna let you play it, and if it turns out that it's too hard to figure out without instructions, then I'll write them here later, savvy?

EDIT: Actually, I think it would be best if I explained it to you :) Sorry about the confusion!...

INSTRUCTIONS:
Okay, so you have blocks 1-9 and + - * / %.

- The numbered blocks will give you the block's number * 100 points.
In other words, 1 will give you 100 pts and 9 will give you 900.

- and + are 300 pts each.
* and / are 400 pts each.
% (this is modulo, NOT percent!) will give you 500 pts.

For those of you who don't know; modulo (%) will give you what's left after dividing two numbers with each other. Here are some examples:

10 % 9 = 1
5 % 3 = 2
8 % 5 = 3
10 % 5 = 0, and 5 % 5 will also be 0

If you divide something by a larger number, it will only give you the smaller number, like so:

9 % 10 = 9
3 % 5 = 3
5 % 8 = 5
get it?

EDIT: You're able to place to numbered blocks next to each other in order to create a larger number. For example, is you place the blocks [1] & [2] next to each other, the game will read it as 12.

- On each level, you are given 1 minute to make a calculation that sums up to the "target sum" you have been given (the pink letters to the right).

- Since the goal is to score as much points as possible, you'll want to use as many blocks as possible!

- The game is over when you run out of time. You can see roughly how much time there's left by looking at the health-bar-like thing in the top-left corner.

- You lose 20 seconds every time you place your blocks, press SPACE and your equation is wrong, so make sure you double check it!

CONTROLS: SPACE + MOUSE + ENTER

- SPACE: Scans your blocks to see if your equation is right.
 - MOUSE: Use your move to move around the blocks. Click on a block to make it follow the mouse pointer.
- ENTER: If you want to clear the playfield from blocks, press ENTER. They will float back to their respective starting points.

YOUR MISSION: Get as much points as possible. There are 5 levels in total (I think I'll make it 10 before actual release).

Note: There are NO music or sfx in the game in it's current state. I'm still pondering where I could get a hold of some damn music, but the sounds I think I'll make by my own.

Play it here: http://www.swfcabin.com/open/130938329

Let me know your honest opinion. Rip it apart! :D

PS: If you become Game Over, you'll have to refresh the browser to play it again, sorry. I'm working on it right now.

« Last Edit: Thu, Aug 25, 2011 by tomii »
My online portfolio // www.tomii.se
My twitter

osro

• View Profile
    • Purppura
Re: NumBlock
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Jul 1, 2011 »
Scrolling background made me feel dizzy.

tomii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sat, Jul 2, 2011 »
That's why it's there. Well, kind of... As your health/time goes down it starts to scroll faster.

Except for that, what did you think?
My twitter

Chelnok

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sun, Jul 3, 2011 »
nice idea.. try to add some difference to levels, like first lvl only numbers and +, second lvl; nums, + and - etc..  ..or perhaps target num could be easier at few first lvls, like 20-40, 50-60..

tomii

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sun, Jul 3, 2011 »
Nice idea, I'll see what I can do :)
I have a whole list of improvements that I'm going to make, and selectable difficulty is one of them. Target sum is actually a random number from 1-100, as of now.

My friend said drag n' drop for the blocks would be nice instead of clicking (the way it is right now), anyone else feel this way?
My twitter

osro

• View Profile
    • Purppura
« Reply #5 on: Sun, Jul 3, 2011 »
That's why it's there. Well, kind of... As your health/time goes down it starts to scroll faster.

Except for that, what did you think?

Well as far as I understood the idea. It was nice, but I had to close the game quite soon cause my eyes started hurting. ???

John Hutchinson (Johntron247)

• Commodore 256
  • Contributor
  • I can has lazerz?
    • View Profile
    • Level X Games
« Reply #6 on: Thu, Jul 7, 2011 »
I agree with the others.  The scrolling background is nifty but waaay too distracting.  Maybe slow it down?

tomii

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wed, Jul 13, 2011 »
Okay, I'll look into it!
My twitter

GrimPanda

• View Profile
    • Grim Panda Games
« Reply #8 on: Wed, Jul 13, 2011 »