Author Topic: Where I Go At Night  (Read 3024 times)

knivel

• View Profile
Where I Go At Night
« on: Sat, Jul 16, 2011 »
http://patkemp.com/wp-gallery/games/WhereIGoAtNight.html

Hey look, it’s a new game! This one is called Where I Go At Night. It’s a 2-player game, so you’ll need to get a friend to sit down at your computer to play with you. “What a pain!” you say? Just think of it as a chance to reconnect with someone face-to-face in this digital age we live in.

John Hutchinson (Johntron247)

• Commodore 256
  • Contributor
  • I can has lazerz?
    • View Profile
    • Level X Games
Re: Where I Go At Night
« Reply #1 on: Sun, Jul 17, 2011 »
Cool idea!  I didn't play long.  When I got to the play screen everything was pitch black and I couldn't see what I was doing.  Saw the HUD and I could place objects but nothing else.  I'm not sure if you designed it that way on purpose (starting off at night or something) but it through me off and made me not want to play.  I need to at least be able to see where the character is.
Twitter · 

St.Penguin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sun, Jul 17, 2011 »
I highly enjoyed the concept of this, right from the get-go. Also, kudos for using the multiplayer limitations to your advantage. I still enjoy playing multiplayer games on the same keyboard!

IMO: art is consistent, works well. Music is nice touch. Gameplay is fairly fun... found it a lot easier to rack up points as the wolf, but the fact that you switch places is clutch. Also, allows for some fun interplay between the actual players (there was a fair amount of guffawing and bumping of elbows as man attempted to box wolf into ridiculous formations/locations, etc.). Can't see the fun factor very long-lasting, but hey, I don't necessarily consider that a flaw for a game like this.

Good work, cheers!

knivel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sun, Jul 17, 2011 »
Cool idea!  I didn't play long.  When I got to the play screen everything was pitch black and I couldn't see what I was doing.  Saw the HUD and I could place objects but nothing else.  I'm not sure if you designed it that way on purpose (starting off at night or something) but it through me off and made me not want to play.  I need to at least be able to see where the character is.

Hey JohnTron, that's actually a bug I'm trying to track down. Could you tell me what browser you were using, what Flash version, PC vs. Mac, etc.? I'd really appreciate it.

I highly enjoyed the concept of this, right from the get-go. Also, kudos for using the multiplayer limitations to your advantage. I still enjoy playing multiplayer games on the same keyboard!

IMO: art is consistent, works well. Music is nice touch. Gameplay is fairly fun... found it a lot easier to rack up points as the wolf, but the fact that you switch places is clutch. Also, allows for some fun interplay between the actual players (there was a fair amount of guffawing and bumping of elbows as man attempted to box wolf into ridiculous formations/locations, etc.). Can't see the fun factor very long-lasting, but hey, I don't necessarily consider that a flaw for a game like this.

Good work, cheers!

Thanks for the feedback! The Man being less fun is a pretty common response. I'm still deciding if I want to revisit the gameplay to fix that or just leave it be. Thanks for trying it out!

• Commodore 256
  • Contributor
  • I can has lazerz?
    • View Profile
    • Level X Games
« Reply #4 on: Sun, Jul 17, 2011 »
Firefox & Windows 7. Both with latest updates.  Latest updates on Flash too.
Twitter · 

osro

• View Profile
    • Purppura
« Reply #5 on: Mon, Jul 18, 2011 »
Nice idea! Though, I didn't have friend to play with.
What about making 1 player mode where AI controls the werewolf mode?

I don't know is it just me, but the graphics on the streets takes too much attention or it's somehow hard to watch it, feels weird in the eyes.

knivel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mon, Jul 18, 2011 »
Firefox & Windows 7. Both with latest updates.  Latest updates on Flash too.

Thanks! I've only had one other person report the problem, but they haven't gotten back to me with their setup. Would you mind trying it out in different browsers?

Nice idea! Though, I didn't have friend to play with.
What about making 1 player mode where AI controls the werewolf mode?

I don't know is it just me, but the graphics on the streets takes too much attention or it's somehow hard to watch it, feels weird in the eyes.

I might end up adding a 1-player practice mode with an AI wolf, but first I want to revisit the Man gameplay to be more fun. Otherwise the 1-player mode would give the fun role (the Wolf) to the AI and relegate the generally un-fun role to the player. Thanks for the feedback!

• Commodore 256
  • Contributor
  • I can has lazerz?
    • View Profile
    • Level X Games
« Reply #7 on: Mon, Jul 18, 2011 »
Thanks! I've only had one other person report the problem, but they haven't gotten back to me with their setup. Would you mind trying it out in different browsers?

I must have been using IE9 last time.  It works fine in both Firefox and Chrome.  IE9, not so much.  Cool game BTW
Twitter · 

Gold_Ninja

• Yeah Yeah!! Wall Echo Saw - War  よろしくね♡
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mon, Jul 25, 2011 »
Really good, nice work.
- Gold_Ninja

IQpierce

• Gamewright
    • View Profile
    • Deep Plaid Games
« Reply #9 on: Fri, Jul 29, 2011 »
1. This is a really great game, even just playing it alone and "roleplaying" each role is quite fun.
2. One should not be allowed to play as the Werewolf without listening to the monologue from the end of I Am Wolfman.

I'm just one guy trying to make some interesting decisions!

anthony

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tue, Aug 2, 2011 »
Enjoyed playing what you've made so far, I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends up as I think it's a great idea you've come up with.

nicktarist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Fri, Aug 12, 2011 »
I think a cool idea would be to give the man the ability to talk and receive elixers or ingredients for the cure from other citizens.  That means the wolf could hinder the man from receiving important items by killing off certain citizens.  It would probably give the 'man' player more motivation to keep the wolf at bay.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Fri, Aug 12, 2011 »
Extending the gameplay indoors would be great too, all those buildings - I really want to go inside!

In fact, just making the world more interesting would be a lot of fun, more alleyways, rooftops you can get up on to, etc.

I also loved the flashing between the two, it made conflicting directions look and feel really cool :D