Author Topic: RPG style window / dialog system - Suggestions wanted  (Read 9727 times)

lazyCrab

• View Profile
Re: RPG style window / dialog system - Suggestions wanted
« Reply #20 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
And after all, all replies are important for PhotonStorm, s/he probably likes if there is both: ideas and criticism.
It's a he.  ;)
"WEEKS of programming can save HOURS of design"
"Programming today is a race betwin programmers trying to make bigger and vetter idiot proof programs and between the universe trying to make bigger and better idiots. Currently, the universe is winning"

photonstorm

• Administrator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Photon Storm
« Reply #21 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
lol

Yes. Yes I am.
http://www.photonstorm.com

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and I might remember, involve me and I will understand" - Confucius

Chelnok

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
It's a he.  ;)

Right. I dont know birds that well, but now when i know its aHe.. i guess the parrot actually looks like a male :)

GrimPanda

• View Profile
    • Grim Panda Games
« Reply #23 on: Fri, Jul 22, 2011 »
I'm drooling right now.  This would certainly be a very big hit with many many people.  I think most of the big ones have been touched upon already, but I'll put my brain on it and see if I can come up with some other things.
"Mortis Ailuropoda"

Bandaro

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Fri, Jul 22, 2011 »
I'd like to see a text window type object, like when you speak to an NPC in an rpg, with parameters to include a graphic (character portrait) and scrolling text (types it out a character at a time instead of just printing it all at once). I've made a few text windows like it and it is something I use quite a bit not just in RPG's, but also shooters and other games.

Perhaps also some sort of life system that uses graphics, like hearts in Zelda, to depict health vs. a life bar?

Chelnok

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sat, Jul 23, 2011 »
Hey guys - I want this to be more a GUI tool than an actual RPG one, so I won't include xml support for branching questions - that is up to you. What I would create is a GUI window that can have embedded options / buttons.

Well you know.. if you want to do gui, you need nothing but ..data representation in graph with interface to the datahandlers. But if you want to do gui tool, you need also think how the data is stored and handled. That is what i ment to have xml support (with callback included). 

Anyway.. that was not what i was going to say :) .. that post just poped into my eye.

I was going to suggest to somekind of gui to the flixels pathsystem. Kind of thing i have been wondering how to do:
FlxPath, drawing the line?
http://http://forums.flixel.org/index.php/topic,4734.0.html

I have only managed to do graf representation of pathdata (with user int.face; can go, cant go). All these are in three classes ..not so practical i guess. That kind of thing would be great to be done with one GUI-API call.

goshki

• View Profile
    • Vigeo Games
« Reply #26 on: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 »
It would be nice for such a system to have modal windows. I've designed such a system lately myself and one of the most tricky parts was to design it so it could:

- show a GUI window not pausing the update of a game,
- show a GUI window pausing the update of a game,
- show a GUI modal window pausing the update of a game and other GUI windows below.

It was especially tricky, because I've used Greensock's Tweening Library to create tweens and timeline sequences for each of groups described above, so there was some hackish logic for pausing/resuming tweens/timelines based on what state the GUI was in.

Unfortunately it requires some OO layer on top of Flixel classes, so it's not generic enough to be a Flixel plugin.

Barts

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Fri, Jul 29, 2011 »
It would be cool to have dialogue system that could be used in a similar way as battle menus in Final Fantasy series - to quickly and easily choose commands, including nested ones.

ExpertNovice

• Now we're cookin' with bacon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Fri, Jul 29, 2011 »
JUST SOME IDEAS:

Images into the text.  Both like a face graphic and like an icon in the text.
"Obtained  :-* Heart of Emot."

More importantly, text coloring.
"What do you mean it's not BUTTER?? I can't believe it's not BUTTER!"

And that little chirping noise that almost sounds like the character is talking or maybe typing on a type writer rather quickly.
You know the one, Moore's code on crack.
(bzzz bz bzzzzz bzz bzz... bzzz bzzzzzz bzz bz bzzzz bz bz bzzzz. doodle-ding!)
- excerpt from a dream i once had.

Try to keep it flexible, that's the most important thing.

PS this is gonna be so awesome!
« Last Edit: Sun, Jul 31, 2011 by ExpertNovice »

JAH2488

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wed, Dec 28, 2011 »
Sorry to dredge up an old thread.

This is a very interesting topic, was any progress made with this in regards to flixel power tools? I was thinking about working on something like this myself and would love to work off anything that is currently existing instead if possible.

IQAndreas

• View Profile
    • IQAndreas.com
« Reply #30 on: Thu, Dec 29, 2011 »
This is a very interesting topic, was any progress made with this in regards to flixel power tools? I was thinking about working on something like this myself and would love to work off anything that is currently existing instead if possible.
If you want, you can help me trying to get MinimalComps to work natively in Flixel. ;)
https://github.com/IQAndreas/FlxMinimalComps

I'm still in the planing stages trying to figure out what the minimum class I need to extend is, and how to structure everything properly. if you feel like it, I would love a second set of eyes.

I'm probably in over my head, but I figured I'd take it one component at a time and see where I get with it all.

Deathcraft

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thu, Dec 29, 2011 »
Well - just another suggestion: it would be cool to have portraits available with dialogue system.