Author Topic: Flixel and C++  (Read 4798 times)

lazyCrab

• View Profile
Flixel and C++
« on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
Has anyone heard of a port of Flixel to C++, or a good alternative? I'm only resorting to Flixel because making an entire library like that all by my self is really hard. C++ is my language of choise but I can't find a good library with support like Flixel. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
"WEEKS of programming can save HOURS of design"
"Programming today is a race betwin programmers trying to make bigger and vetter idiot proof programs and between the universe trying to make bigger and better idiots. Currently, the universe is winning"

jsimpson

Re: Flixel and C++
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
Well besides the language you chose, is there a reason you want C++? There are some major deployment differences between applications developed in C++ and applications deployed through Flash. You wouldn't be able to have others play your games online without having to download and install your game as far as I know.

Is there a specific reason you would prefer a c++ environment?

lazyCrab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
1. I'm more used to it.
2. I prefer it's deployment method. You just can't make a proffesional game and sell it in Flash.
3. It has more power and it's more flexible. You can change resolutions above 800x600, it has more technical capabilities. And it isn't restricted to what a browser or what flash itself can do, the only restriction is the hardware itself.
"Programming today is a race betwin programmers trying to make bigger and vetter idiot proof programs and between the universe trying to make bigger and better idiots. Currently, the universe is winning"

Chelnok

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
2. I prefer it's deployment method. You just can't make a proffesional game and sell it in Flash.

Ok, just criticizing.. and being a wiseass :) 

You can make pro game in flash. Selling it in Flash? Much more harder :)

Anyway, there is not any..thing why you could not use flash to make professional game. I suppose you are meaning pro game as WOW or any 3D kind of games. Afterall.. there is lot of genres that does really not need any flash, unity, ..c,java,1001101.. to make a pro game, you need nothing but stones and wood.

lazyCrab

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
I know I can make a "pro" game but think about it this way : Would you buy a flash game? Would you buy an AIR game? If you were a publisher would you publish a flash game?

felipe

• games!
    • View Profile
    • i love pixel
« Reply #5 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
Ok, just criticizing.. and being a wiseass :) 

You can make pro game in flash. Selling it in Flash? Much more harder :)

Anyway, there is not any..thing why you could not use flash to make professional game. I suppose you are meaning pro game as WOW or any 3D kind of games. Afterall.. there is lot of genres that does really not need any flash, unity, ..c,java,1001101.. to make a pro game, you need nothing but stones and wood.

+1

True, and you can sell flash games on mobile devices from iOS, playbook, android and even nokia, at least I do, and they sell.

As for a C++ port of flixel, I don't really know one I think I saw a C# port going on the forums, but i guess it's not the same. I hope you find one that can suit your needs, but at the end it's mostly syntaxis change, in theory it's all the same.

lazyCrab

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
Actually I did see a port, though it's not complete. Guess I'll just be working in flash for now.

And as for selling them on mobiles, think if you add a few extra days into the development and make it as a standalone game (if you could) and maybe add an extra few features, you have to agree that it will sell better.

felipe

• games!
    • View Profile
    • i love pixel
« Reply #7 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
user eduardonunesp  made a port, I think it's still a WIP as you said.

People who buy games on mobile devices don't look the format it's made on, they don't care if it's made on java, c, c++ or action script, they just want to have fun and that's that, of course I won't argue that you get better performance on a native lenguage but if you are making a 2D game you can make a "Professional game", like you call it with as3 or any type of lenguage.

I'll just quote  Chelnok

to make a pro game, you need nothing but stones and wood.

lazyCrab

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
I'm not arguing with what you said because it is true, but I'm only saying two things : Games sell better on a computer rather than on a phone, secondly - people rearly hire developer for a job because of flash games unless it's a huge success

felipe

• games!
    • View Profile
    • i love pixel
« Reply #9 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
yes, I understand but you said that flash games aren't professional, and you can't sell them. I don't know if more games are sell on a pc rather than a mobile device.

My point was that it doesn't matter which lenguage or platform a game is aimed, that doesn't make a game professional. I've seen really crappy games made on UDK and other engines. It gives the feeling that you underestimate flash games.

Chelnok

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
I know I can make a "pro" game but think about it this way : Would you buy a flash game? Would you buy an AIR game? If you were a publisher would you publish a flash game?

Sorry lazy.. didnt mean to get this so offtopic  :-\ ..but, you know, what is done is done...

SO! Here We go :)

I would not buy a flash game.
I would not buy a AIR game.
If I were a publisher, i would not publish a flash game.

Continuum of wiseass :)

I would buy a flash / AIR game if it was worth it.
If I were a publisher, i would publish a flash game if there was a change to make some profit.

Continuum of wiseass, part 2
Games sell better on a computer rather than on a phone..

Angry Birds..

, secondly people rearly hire developer for a job because of flash games unless it's a huge success

True. But ..if i was gonna hire you, i would not be interested how you did it. I would be interested your proto.. demo, no matter how you did it. I would be interested about the idea. If i was looking for coder, i would be interested about how you did it, and if your skills fits to my needs to get the idea done for computer, phone.. 8bit nintendo.

And really, i dont mean just to be an ass or just to argue with you. Just a different opinion ..just what i think.. more or less.

Chelnok

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »

Btw, i have bought 0 games this year.. still, i have spent few hundreds euros for online games done with; html, flash, javascript, java.. php, python .. and probably with c++ ;)

John Hutchinson (Johntron247)

• Commodore 256
  • Contributor
  • I can has lazerz?
    • View Profile
    • Level X Games
« Reply #12 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
Are you kidding me!?  Recently Flash games, especially those targeting on mobile devices and utilizing the AIR framework, have been outselling desktop games and, in many cases, even console games.  Angry Birds is one of the highest grossing games period and, guess what, it's made with Flash.

John Hutchinson (Johntron247)

• Commodore 256
  • Contributor
  • I can has lazerz?
    • View Profile
    • Level X Games
« Reply #13 on: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 »
And if Angry Birds isn't "professional" then I'm at a loss to know what is.  Seriously, it's not the tools but the developers that makes a game great.  Sure, tools help, but then again, Flash and AS3 are great tools. :D

lazyCrab

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Fri, Jul 22, 2011 »
Ok so.. By professional I mean game making career but nevermind.

Lets stear this back on topic does anyone know a good alternative to Flixel for C++ besides the unfinished port?

zadvornykh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Fri, Jul 22, 2011 »
http://rampantgames.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=697

There are quite a lot of alternatives out there, and if you can do C++ you can use any of them ;p.

jcothran

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Fri, Jul 22, 2011 »
How about mixing flash with other language API's like C++,C#,etc - for example Unity has a C# pathfinding package 'simplepath' http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/89712-SimplePath-Advanced-Pathfinding-for-any-Game-Genre-RELEASED but I'm not sure how I'd interface flash/flixel to reference a C# library/package?

Gilda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 »
Actually people make thousands off of sponsored flash games.

Also, if you're going to be using something as powerful as C++ and you're making a professional large scale game. Then use a C++ library. :/

GrimPanda

• View Profile
    • Grim Panda Games
« Reply #18 on: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 »
Also, if you're going to be using something as powerful as C++ and you're making a professional large scale game. Then use a C++ library. :/

Oh come on, we all want Flixel to be the "One Library/Engine/Language to Rule Them All".  FlixelPy, FlixelPHP, VisualFlixel, Flixel++, Flixel#, FlixelScript, myFlixelSQL, Flixel4Tran, FlixelML, and of course Flixelish which by 2020 will be the world 'common' tongue.

"Mortis Ailuropoda"