Author Topic: flixel-iOS for native mac games?  (Read 4643 times)

bpercevic

• View Profile
flixel-iOS for native mac games?
« on: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 »
just curious, can the flixel-iOS library be used to make native mac games or is it iOS device exclusive?  I've never coded anything in obj-c but the recently released Mode source code looks pretty self explanatory. 

if it is possible to use f-iOS to make a Cocoa app, how would you set that up?  just import and use the source, or would you have to make some changes to the source?

it would open up a whole world of possibilities.

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
    • Initials Blog. Code and other things.
Re: flixel-iOS for native mac games?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 »
My first reaction is yes, Flixel should work for Obj-C games.

Now for the fine print. I haven't tried it. I haven't compiled a game that works on iOS for Mac.

It should be pretty easy for me to test it. In the meantime if you want to try it the best way to go about it would be to grab the Flixel iOS hello world and try to compile it as a native mac app.

And if you have any questions about Mode post them in this forum. The iOS section is usually pretty quiet. I hope that starts to change!
Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart

bpercevic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Jul 25, 2011 »
unfortunately I get a lot of errors.  most of the errors are because of the way I imported the source, by copying the whole flixel-ios folder into my project, so it couldn't locate the headers.  I changed the each file to specify the correct location of each header, but then after that was done I had about 20 of these:

Code: [Select]
Parse Issue: Expected a type
those are in FlixelAPTBindings.h under the interface declarations for FlxQuake, FlxSprite, and FlxEmitter.

I'm an obj-c newb so this completely trumps me :(

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mon, Jul 25, 2011 »
Importing the Flixel library is a pain because you have to set the Header folder as a pre-compile thing. (Sorry for the lack of technical terms, I don't exactly understand it myself and I'm not on a Mac).

Your best bet is to grab Canabalt and try to compile that for Mac, or grab the Flixel Hello World template and try that. Then you won't need to do any importing, you can open the Xcode project and go for it.
Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart

Dids

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sun, Apr 1, 2012 »
I just had a go at porting Flixel from a custom iOS version to OS X, but the main problem is that iOS uses OpenGL ES while OS X uses pure OpenGL, so a lot of OpenGL knowledge is required for a succesfull port.

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mon, Apr 2, 2012 »
I have tried this too, and can't get it to work.

I have read that OpenGLes is a subset of OpenGL, so most calls should work, however, in practise it throws errors. A lot of errors.

I've tried replacing all of the imports to OpenGL but still it doesn't work.

If you're super keen the best place might be an OpenGL forum?

tokyotron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wed, May 16, 2012 »
At the same time games work great in the simulator...
So should be possible.

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wed, May 16, 2012 »
At the same time games work great in the simulator...
So should be possible.

If you figure it out, you should post how you did it.

bpercevic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wed, May 16, 2012 »
I have been working at my new job for a few months now, all I do is iOS development.  So I will try to look at flixel this summer, now that I have a much better understanding of Objective-C.  I already ported much of flixel to C# for Microsoft's XNA dev platform, I can't imagine it being any more difficult in iOS. My best guess as to why we all had trouble compiling flixel in iOS is lack of knowledge behind how Objective-C works, so as soon as I have some time I'll look at flixel-iOS and I'll update you guys on it.

:) 

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Wed, May 16, 2012 »
I have been working at my new job for a few months now, all I do is iOS development.  So I will try to look at flixel this summer, now that I have a much better understanding of Objective-C.  I already ported much of flixel to C# for Microsoft's XNA dev platform, I can't imagine it being any more difficult in iOS. My best guess as to why we all had trouble compiling flixel in iOS is lack of knowledge behind how Objective-C works, so as soon as I have some time I'll look at flixel-iOS and I'll update you guys on it.

:)

That's awesome.
This community (for iOS) is starting to pick up some steam.

My specific problem was a lack of OpenGLes understanding, but yes, Objective C also.
I am under the impression that to get Flixel compiling for a Mac, we'd need to:

1. Change all imports of OpenGLes to OpenGL.
2. Change linked libraries to OpenGL
3. Find any calls to OpenGLes commands that aren't in OpenGL.
4. Compile.

This is based off what I've read, not experience.

tokyotron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wed, May 16, 2012 »
If you figure it out, you should post how you did it.

For the simulator, I just built the original Canabalt source. Didn't try anything else yet.