Author Topic: Gather Up [Prototype]  (Read 48904 times)

Random832

Re: Gather Up [Prototype]
« Reply #20 on: Fri, Dec 18, 2009 »
On Linux, I have keyboard issues - it sometimes acts like I momentarily let go of the arrow and pressed it again instead of holding it down (which leads to "stuttery" running and missed jumps.) I have observed this on a few other flash games, and it is much worse in the prototype than it is in the Level Up 100% Complete reward (though it is present in both)

(I also occasionally have unexpected transitions into dash in Level Up, which is probably a symptom of the same kind of issue)

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091109 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42

Pure

« Reply #21 on: Wed, Dec 30, 2009 »
The slidiness feels really weird. I feel like I'm driving a car on wheels that has to spend a lot of time speeding up and slowing down, instead of a person running around.

I don't like not being able to jump on my own. I can understand not being able to jump in a game as a design decision, or by virture of being a heavy robot or something, but the character can clearly jump. It doesn't seem right to have to back track and trigger the autojump to grab a platform that's only one square above my head when I'm standing next to it. Let me jump straight up and grab ledges, ala Prince of Persia.

The gun system is promising, but a little boring as it is. What about seperate keys to aim and shoot? It's strange to me that I can't tell how accurate I am without shooting at it first.

Smoke trails or tracers would be nice visual disinction between the guns. Aside from the rockets, the guns are rather same-ey.

I'm looking forward to seeing further iterations. Even the prototype is a lot of fun. Keep up the good work!

Titch

• Contributor
  • Thing with the guy in the place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wed, Dec 30, 2009 »
The slidiness feels really weird. I feel like I'm driving a car on wheels that has to spend a lot of time speeding up and slowing down, instead of a person running around.

Basically every itteration I do on movement ****s the slidy-ness levels up. So I've given up balancing it on every itteration. You will be able to almost stop on a dime, but accellerating will still take a bit of time (like 1-2 tiles running for top speed).

I don't like not being able to jump on my own. I can understand not being able to jump in a game as a design decision, or by virture of being a heavy robot or something, but the character can clearly jump. It doesn't seem right to have to back track and trigger the autojump to grab a platform that's only one square above my head when I'm standing next to it. Let me jump straight up and grab ledges, ala Prince of Persia.

This definitly, I'm going to add some kind of contextual grab move for platforms that are only 1-2 units out of reach. It's been niggling me for a while, especially because of the number of weirdly shaped bits I have to put into the level to make the level 'work'. The autojump is here to stay though, because I -need- the jump button for shooting and I don't want combat to become a jump evade fest.

The gun system is promising, but a little boring as it is. What about separate keys to aim and shoot? It's strange to me that I can't tell how accurate I am without shooting at it first.

Complex issue.

Item 1: Realism. In reality you wouldn't be able to tell your chances of hitting something until you shot at it. I think possibly the level mechanic in the game is going to play a part in this. So before you shoot you'll have a broader 'guessed' chance of hitting

Item 2: Button count. I don't think games should have more than 6 buttons. If it has more than that then the controls are too complex. There is a Z lock on key, but it should be non-essential unless players want to absolutely maximise their gains. Under the current mapping you can 'tap' to lock on to an enemy as the player won't shoot whilst drawing guns.

Item 3: The processor cost of finding the nearest enemy. Every time the game tries to find a new target it has to check all the enemies on the stage and do a distance calculation which is a little expensive. So I don't want to be checking it all the time.

My last attempt to 'fix' this problem was a fairly big disaster. So now I'm just looking at way of migiating it that don't involve 'check for new targets every single frame'

Smoke trails or tracers would be nice visual disinction between the guns. Aside from the rockets, the guns are rather same-ey.

Getting tired of repeating myself. Current gun art is ALL placeholder. It's subject to change. I don't want to spend a bunch of time coding effects for guns that might change in visual style. There will be tracers, smoke, shooting animations, drawing animation and reloading animations. But not untill I've got the acctual final design of the weapons.

The design of the weapons is -really- important because so much of the game revolves around them, in both gameplay and story, so I don't want to rush anything.

Thanks for your feedback =D
Free cake whippings every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #23 on: Wed, Dec 30, 2009 »
Item 3: The processor cost of finding the nearest enemy. Every time the game tries to find a new target it has to check all the enemies on the stage and do a distance calculation which is a little expensive. So I don't want to be checking it all the time.

When performance issues start to affect your gameplay decisions it's probably time to optimize:

A fairly generic approach to speed up searches like that is to have objects register themselves in a spatial lookup map. Like dividing your stage in 100x100 clusters of tiles and for every cluster you maintain an array containing all objects in the cluster. Now when you want the nearest object to a position you check the cluster first that's containing this position. On a fail you expand your search to all clusters touching those you searched last.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ~Leonardo Da'Vinci

TheUltimaton

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sat, Jan 9, 2010 »
On your prototype of Gather Up! you have one of the big glitches from Level Up!, the game will not play for some people, I don't know if you are going to leave the prototype like that and edit that in the actual game but it may be a problem.

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sat, Jan 9, 2010 »
On your prototype of Gather Up! you have one of the big glitches from Level Up!, the game will not play for some people, I don't know if you are going to leave the prototype like that and edit that in the actual game but it may be a problem.

That isn't a glitch in MY code. It's a glitch in the code of various Ad Blockers (Privoxy and Kerpasky). I did spend time researching a solution, and failed to find one beyond telling peope to switch their ad blockers off, which is dangerous (for idiots) and self serving for me. Right now what concerns me more about the poor souls unable to play my game is the number of messages I get about it not working.

I did spend some time trying to figure it out, but
a) I'm not smart enough. I'm a designer, not a hotshot coder. If I knew how ad blockers ****ed up my flash I wouldn't be using Flixel to build games with.
b) I'm not about to install psychotic ad blocking software on my computer just to work out what it's problem with my game is when everything else does a fine job of not loading adverts without neuturing the whole god danm application.

Quote from: lithander
When performance issues start to affect your gameplay decisions it's probably time to optimize

I try to consider all the limiting factors about a gameplay decision because it helps keep a game in scope. Probably a few awesome ideas that could have been the next big thing died in premature death because in prototype they ran too slowly (although mostly it's because they wheren't any fun). The belife that you can add something if you optimise enough can lead to weeks of coding limbo down the line where you try and find those optimisation fixes to make everything run smoothly, or have to keep modifying some complex optimisation system you built to 'fit' with the changing shape of the game.

It's not very romantic or fun cutting things you know would improve the game because the cost to benifite ratio is too high for it to be worthwhile, but in my mind thats the nature of the beast. I've got ideas about how to make contiuos targeting cost less. If I have time left closer to my deadline and when I have more thing implimented and know more about the scope of the system I need to add, I might do it. Right now though, I'll take what works, most people don't mind having a targeting button.

Tongs

« Reply #26 on: Sun, Jan 10, 2010 »
I love where this is going but my one problem with it is ammo. I don't know if you're going to continue with the unlimited ammo thing or not (I doubt it), but if you're not careful, it's going to be like RE in that ammo is more important than life. If you do take away unlimited ammo, which would actually make the game better in my opinion, I think you either need some sort of shop/resting point for the guy to recharge ammo and health or, since he's divine if I remember correctly, why not add a way for him to restore his own stats. Just some thoughts I hope you'll consider.

TheUltimaton

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sun, Jan 10, 2010 »
Whilst playing the prototype I encountered two glitches, one where there is unlimited ammo on the assault rifle and you cannot see what the weapon is called, and floating weapons.
 I would show you if I knew how to work the insert picture button, but I dont.

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sun, Jan 10, 2010 »
Ehn, don't sweat the glitches right now. Once I'm in Beta non game breaking glitches are something I'll worry about.

Shinji117

« Reply #29 on: Sun, Jun 27, 2010 »
Anything more on this, or has it halted? I really really liked "Level Up!". In fact it was one of the best games I have played. I hope that "Gather Up!" has not died. I was looking forwards to it, so any further notices or updates? In the demo, I noticed a small problem, but that might just be the fault of my computer or something: if you keep firing after you get to 0 ammo with any weapon, you start getting into negative ammo. I take it that this isn't supposed to happen... but I could easily be wrong.
Sorry to bother you if this has stopped. But seeing as you updated this year, and you seemed to be working on it I retain hope.

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sun, Jun 27, 2010 »
Development on this project pretty much ground to a halt for two reasons

Firstly I have a full time job working as a games designer for a flash games development company, which leaves me feeling not very inspired to go home and code some more.

Secondly the whole thing has been going down a bit of a blind ally for the past 2 weeks of development. Gameplay isn't really fun and it's not really going to do justice as a sequel to Level Up without me scrapping a lot of stuff and re-writing it.

Not dead for good, but on the back burner for a while. I do want to get another game out before the end of this year though.

daftmorgan

« Reply #31 on: Wed, Jul 21, 2010 »
i really did like level up and dont think so far this game lives up to it but the game itself is very good ,will the level up concept still be there

oh and can you put in a manual jump?

(if you continue work on it)
« Last Edit: Wed, Jul 21, 2010 by daftmorgan »

kraddark

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Fri, Nov 26, 2010 »
Dont fret!! Your loyal fans eagerly await your next creation!! So take your time and make sure its a good one! :D

Kazaaar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Mon, Dec 6, 2010 »
You're running out of time, friend.

Kyrant

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Fri, Dec 23, 2011 »
                It's been like, a year since the last reply to this, and nobody might see this but I gotta say it.
About 2 years ago, I played Level Up! and absolutely loved it. At the end I was thinking, there's gotta be a sequel!, and I looked around the web for it, to no avail. I gave up.
          Then, yesterday, I found it again and played through it one more time. In the description, there was a link to a blog, the third one made by Titch. There was talk of Gather Up, but the blog abruptly stopped about a year ago...
          I went over here the next day, and found this post.I played the prototype (it's a prototype, so I didn't judge) and read through the comments. There, about a year ago, Titch announced that he had a full time job as a game designer, and  was discouraged with really finishing Gather Up.
         Titch said he "only put it on the back burner" but, after a year, he probably scrapped it. Some people are hatin' on him, but it just goes to show how much they loved Level Up, and how exited they were for a sequel. I'm glad Titch got the job that he wanted, good for him, and he probably couldn't fit in enough time to make a whole game. But maybe he stopped because he just didn't feel like it, not because of time concerns...
         It's almost Christmas, and I'm asking Titch to give a present to all his fans: finish Gather Up! I don't care if it's crap, get it done! I'll be okay with a late Christmas gift.
              Peace out.

Umz

« Reply #35 on: Thu, Dec 29, 2011 »
Game is epic, so much potential.. Post the code for it? Maybe someone else will finish it off?

Seth Sorrows

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Fri, Jan 4, 2013 »
Development on this project pretty much ground to a halt for two reasons

Firstly I have a full time job working as a games designer for a flash games development company, which leaves me feeling not very inspired to go home and code some more.

Secondly the whole thing has been going down a bit of a blind ally for the past 2 weeks of development. Gameplay isn't really fun and it's not really going to do justice as a sequel to Level Up without me scrapping a lot of stuff and re-writing it.

Not dead for good, but on the back burner for a while. I do want to get another game out before the end of this year though.
Hello Titch and other people viewing this forum. I seriously doubt that this game will be made. Right now it is post-apocalypse. 2013. That is over NINE THOUSAND! two years from when the creator last posted. If he says there would be a hiatus and it has been two years... he lied. The game is dead. It didn't survive the apocalypse. Everyone say goodbye to Gather Up... the child of the famous Level Up! will be missed... Anyways... I bet this will be the last post on the forum unless someone else posts for the sake of proving me wrong. Last thing I'm gonna say is... goodbye Titch. Thanks for getting everyone's hopes up for nothing.  :'(

soviet.berkut

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sun, May 5, 2013 »
Maybe it's too late but let's forget about ruined Gather Up! and make another one sequel called Level Up 2! which will tell about a continuation of initial story.I doubt about someone reads this or it will be a good idea, but I hope that the excellent sequel of epic win game Level Up! will be published.

videogameguy54

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wed, Aug 14, 2013 »
It's been three years, so... any news? Maybe we could start a Kickstarter. (If you couldn't tell, I really want this game)

ashaw596

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Mon, Feb 3, 2014 »
Yeah! I'd support a kickstarter! lets go!!!